PDA

View Full Version : Parkers, Poodles, Pheasants and Friends

Robert Rambler
11-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Spent yesterday afternoon with family and friend hunting gaudy birds on a game farm.
The poodles dug through the heavy cover (Check out the background) and found 9 of the 10 birds we put out, and 2 more in another field from someone's morning hunt.
The PH parker, loaded with copper #5's and 3 drams of black brought the noisy birds out of the sky. Great time was had by all, including two very tired pups.:)

Click 2 or 3 times to enlarge pic.

Dean Romig
11-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Nice! Great looking cock birds and good looking dogs too.

I miss the wild pheasants of my youth - and the Trojan 12 I hunted them with.

Russ Jackson
11-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Robert ,Thanks for posting ,Great Pictures !!! I just mentioned the other day to my Family about some of the guys on the Parker Site hunt with Poodles ,They ," My Wife " laughed at me and mentioned I was crazy , She may be right about being crazy but I knew I was right about you fellows hunting with Poodles ! :rotf:Great Job ! Russ

wayne goerres
11-06-2013, 11:17 PM
I will probable get in trouble for saying this but I did not know poodles were good for anything let alone hunting.

Robert Rambler
11-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Wayne, The standard Poodle was originally a German waterfowl retriever, right up to their webbed feet. Google "Hunting Poodles", then click "Images" at the top.
Here's a link to just one breeder:
http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/

Bill Murphy
11-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Robert, what preserve did you use for your hunt?

Harold Lee Pickens
11-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Robert, I think about your dogs and hunting poodles evry time I see a poodle now. Can't remember, I met you and the dogs at either the West virginia SXS shoot or Hausmann's. Congratulation on using those dogs for what they were bred to do. ( Now, if we bred one of those hunting poodles with a good lab, we could have a hunting labradoodle--probably be a great dog!)

Robert Rambler
11-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Bill, Pheasant Valley, Robesonia, PA

http://www.pheasantvalleyfarm.com/

Harold, The Labradoodle already exists. In my humble opinion it breeds the Poodle brain right out of the dog. :rolleyes:
I believe we have met at both venues you mention.:)

David Lien
11-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Robert
Here in Idaho, on the Fort Hall Indian reversion an old Native American (indian) has bred an apricot Poodle to a black Lab that has many FCs and AFCs in his pedigree. All are laughing at him. (He wants $500.00) His stud dog was $2000.00 at 49 Days plus air fair into Salt Lake City, and the 400 Mile round trip to pick up the PUP. The puppies are now ready to be picked up. tonight I will take Miss Mary (Wife of way over 50+) to have a look...

My Question to you is, How much trouble do you have with you dogs coat??? We have a lot of BURRS and other nuisance weeds here where I hunt.

Does the dog shed much in the house???? I Really enjoyed your Post with Photos...
David

Jeff Christie
11-07-2013, 01:23 PM
The best, hands down, general purpose dog I ever had the pleasure of hunting with in 7+ years hunting in Germany and Luxembourg was a Pudelpointer. He was fantastic.

Robert Rambler
11-07-2013, 03:37 PM
David, The Poodle DOES NOT shed or drop dander, that's why everyone is cross breeding them, to get that hypoallergenic trait.
Poodles do not have fur like other breeds, they have hair like you and me, so every 4-5 weeks they need a hair cut!:shock:
If there is a down side, that's it, frequent grooming.
My wife learned to groom them herself since we have two,! and saves a ton in grooming costs.

As far as junk in the coat, how bad is an English Setter to clean up after a hunt? Last Saturday had Riley on state game land, lots of nasty junk in the fields, took me half hour to 45 min. to clean him up before we were allowed back in the house.:rotf: Just part of the fun.:)
If you do get a Pup show us some pictures.

Jeff, I have a friend with a Pudelpointer, your right they are a fantastic do it all dog. The breeders work hard to keep that line pure. My friend had to sign an agreement to hunt the dog before he could buy it.

Jeff Christie
11-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the story on the PP in the USA. I have seen a few references to breeders but have never seen one in the field. It is a shame they aren't more popular. It would seem to be an ideal gun dog for a waterfowl and upland hunter. The ones I saw in Germany and Luxembourg were generally used for drive hunting boars and small game (roe deer, hasen, etc) in drive hunts and as blood dogs for trailing up wounded game. I am sure your friend is very happy. Does he shoot a Parker??

Marc Retallack
11-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Robert,

Is your friend with the Pudelpointer Jan C.? I attended a RGS banquet with him a few years ago and recall him mentioning he hunts with one.

Cheers,
Marcus

Robert Rambler
11-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi Marc ! Yep Jan is the guy.:) First met him on the 16ga forum.
Learned he worked in my town, and only lived about 5 miles away from me. Have attended many Ruffed Grouse Society banquets, shoots and work days with him. He's one of the "Good Guys", and has a fine young son who's going to be a "chip off the old block".:)

Jeff, I don't think he owns a Parker.
But one day I shot with him, he was carrying an A.H. Fox.
Still a SXS so I won't hold it against him.:rotf:

Eldon Goddard
11-07-2013, 10:07 PM
I have always like standard poodles and my dad has always said he would like to have one as a hunting dog one day. It is funny what has happened to dogs. Most people do not even know that poodles were originally a hunting dog and I once told a bull dog owner that the origin of the breed was used for bull baiting and I was met with shock and denial.

Marc Retallack
11-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks Robert. The short amount of time I spent with Jan, he came across as a stand-up guy. Glad to hear his son is taking after his dad. I should have stayed in better contact with Jan, what with him having that nice grouse property in NY...:whistle:

Hope you're still finding a good Parker buy at Horst every so often.

All the best,
Marcus