PDA

View Full Version : Back in the Woodcock Woods

Russ Jackson
10-27-2013, 10:12 AM
My Buddy Rich and I headed out yesterday for the Pa. Pheasant opener but really had little intention on hunting Mr. Ringneck unless we ran into one ,ours are all stocked birds ! These we're what we were after ! We headed afield about 8:00 AM and circled below some big open fields full of Pheasant Hunters , I didn't take Chip as he is nearly stone deaf and I didn't want him confused if there was a lot of shooting in the fields ! Rich brought his Short Hair ,Sam ,he is quite an accomplished hunter although nearly 14 years old and we ended up at 9:30 with two Pa. limits of Woodcock ! Rich was carrying his little Fox Model B 410 ,Vent Rib gun ,an early gun with the nice engraving on the bottom of the receiver of the Geese flushing off of the pond ,and I was carrying the GH 20 Ga. Damascus Barreled gun ! I brought all the birds home and cleaned them thoroughly and soaked them in Salt water for the afternoon and last evening , made three Ramikens of my almost World Famous , " Woodcock Pate' " By the way have any of you fellows tried this recipe yet ? DELICIOUS ! Good Hunting to You All ! Russ :bigbye:

Mills Morrison
10-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Great photos! Glad to see your GH 20 is getting some action.

Russ Jackson
10-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Mills ,This is the little gun ,that sold recently on our site and I bemoaned that all the good ones sold while I was at work ,then I checked the next morning and seems the first buyer changed his mind and it had already sold the second time again ,I bawled over that :rotf: ,then I received a PM from Scott about a week later that the gun had been returned as the top rib was loose at the end ,so I bought Her any way and drove it down to Jerry Andrews place in WV. and he repaired the Top Rib and refinished the Damascus barrels and She seems as good as new ! Russ

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
10-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Russ: If you will I would be interested in the Woodcock Pate recipe. Thanks Thomas

John Farrell
10-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Congratulations, Russ. Those are two nice leashes of woodcock.

I just came back a 1/2 hour ago from a walk down to the river with Woody. He pointed one and another woodcock wild flushed in the first couple of hundred yards along the river bank. We came back to the house. Tomorrow morning, when I know there won't be any bow hunters active along the river, we'll go back. So, now to see what 16 gauge hulls holding what size shot is available in the ammo locker.

charlie cleveland
10-27-2013, 04:33 PM
good shooting russ it looks like a beautiful place ya ll were hunting..i m glad the little 20 ga worked out so well..i like the little fox 410 s too...and very good pictures i mite add.... charlie

Mills Morrison
10-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Mills ,This is the little gun ,that sold recently on our site and I bemoaned that all the good ones sold while I was at work ,then I checked the next morning and seems the first buyer changed his mind and it had already sold the second time again ,I bawled over that :rotf: ,then I received a PM from Scott about a week later that the gun had been returned as the top rib was loose at the end ,so I bought Her any way and drove it down to Jerry Andrews place in WV. and he repaired the Top Rib and refinished the Damascus barrels and She seems as good as new ! Russ

I remember when you bought it. Glad you got it out in the field!

Russ Jackson
10-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Russ: If you will I would be interested in the Woodcock Pate recipe. Thanks Thomas

Hello Thomas ,sorry but just getting in from work ,If you click " Hunting With Parkers " Look directly above and you will see ," Wild Game Recipes " go to page 2 , " Woodcock Pate' " By Me ! Russ