PDA

View Full Version : Parkers on the Prairie- 2013

Daryl Corona
10-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Well, just returned from another great trip to the great state of S. Dakota. The weather pretty much cooperated for the 5 days we hunted. A touch of snow, some rain at night and temps. in the 40's. Great scenting conditions for the dogs and easier on them than temps. in the 50's or 60's. The soil was wet which made it much easier on the dogs feet. Birds were a little scarce this year but we hunted hard and smart and came close to our collective limit of 15 each day. I challenged myself and completed my own "grand slam" of sorts; 5 guns over 5 days killing my limit of 3 birds with a different gun each day. We had fantastic dog work this year because without them it would have been really difficult. I brought my two Labs, Parker and Fox, my buddy Kevin whom I traveled with brought his GSP Keily, and Jent Mitchell tagged along with his setter Abby. This trip marked a milestone of sorts for Kevin; his introduction to the world of Parkers. His wife called me a couple of months ago and wanted me to look for "a really nice shotgun" she could give him for their 30th anniversary coming up in Dec. but that he could take on this trip. What a great wife, huh? She surprised him the morning we left with a tons of condition 1902 VH 20, 26", DT, straight grip, DHB that I had my eyes on for a while but I could'nt justify another straight grip 26" 20 in the safe with the other 4. He brought 2 other guns, a nice 20 Sterlingworth and a gorgeous Merkel 20 which never left the truck. He hunted all 5 days with the VH and I've never seen him shoot better. He's hooked! His gun is pictured above my VHE in one picture and in another with him and his GSP Keily. October really is a great month is'nt it?

Mills Morrison
10-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Beautiful!:envy:

Dave Suponski
10-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Looks to have been an awesome hunt buddy! Thanks for the pictures.:)

Mike.Smith
10-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Wow, nice work on the "Grand Slam" Daryl, it looks like you guys had a great time again this year.

Mike

charlie cleveland
10-26-2013, 10:30 PM
what a good hunt and what a great gift for a anniversary present a parker...nice pictures fellas...charlie

KCordell
10-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Daryl, looks like another great hunt! Glad you had a fantastic time.

Daryl Corona
10-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks Kev. We always have room if you can break away next year.

Russ Jackson
10-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Daryl ,Great pictures and a great Grand Slam ! Congrats !!!!!!!! Now if you wouldn't mind ,I would like to have Kevins Wifes Phone # ................:rotf: You Know, maybe my Wife could contact her for some gift ideas !!!!!!!!!:whistle:

Daryl Corona
10-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks Russ. Her number is 1-800-buy-my-husband-a-Parker. Just have your wife PM me and I'll take care of you.:) Seriously, that some fine shooting on those woodcock. Congrats to you also. I should elaborate on the guns I used. 28ga VH, 20ga. VHE, 20ga. Trojan, Sterlingworth Deluxe 16ga, and a Remington 1900 Damascus in 16ga. My dogs deserve most of the credit as they worked real close, the scenting conditions were perfect and they found the birds once downed. It does'nt get any better than that.

Russ Jackson
10-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Daryl ,All sound like nice guns ,the 16 Ga. Rem.Dam. gun sounds neat ,I ran into a guy carrying one for sale at the last gun show I attended at Pittsburgh Mills Pa. ,it was a 16 Bore with nice engraving ,I don't know the Grade but the stock and Trigger Guard was missing and I thought ,where in this world would I find either of those items and the seller wanted $800.00 for it ! May have been worth it ,I really had no idea but I passed !

Daryl Corona
10-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Russ;
The Rem.1900 is a very nice gun for the money. Mine is a KED; K is the grade, E is for ejectors and the D is for damascus. Barrels are 28" and weighs in a tad under 7lbs. Pretty plain jane gun but very solid and nice dimensions. It's choked IC/MOD and I found it a couple of years ago in Cabela's, Mitchell, SD. They had it listed as an 1894 at $800.00 and I paid right around $600 after I corrected them. If I had a rainy day gun this would probably be it.

Russ Jackson
10-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Sounds nice , the gun I mentioned from the gun show had a dog engraved on each side of the receiver and for lack of better identification we will call it some type of Scroll engraving as a border ! The gun caught my eye but needed too much for the price !