PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Grouse Weekend

Dean Romig
10-08-2013, 11:27 AM
After helping my friend and host, Tom, roof his new pole barn with 75 sheets of plywood and 15 rolls of that heavy sticky ice-dam protective covering on the entire roof I got to get out in the woods for some grouse chasin'. We (three of us) started the roof at about 8:15 a.m and finished at 12:10 p.m. and I was completely exhausted *pant-pant* The roof is 66' X 46'.

Grouse numbers in the area I hunt remain down and the report is that it was a poor spring for the survival of the chicks. Almost all of my 10 flushes on Saturday were wild and way out - none of which provided a shot. This indicates to me, at least this early in the season, that the majority of those birds are older birds - not this year's crop. I did take one shot at the right-breaking bird of a pair that flushed about fifteen yards in front of me and never got swung on the left bird in time. When I shot at the right bird it was about to disappear behind the screen of a fully leafed apple tree and the amount of foliage and twigs that cascaded down indicated I was behind the bird by mere fractions of an inch and the bird came rocketing out on the other side and disappeared behind more foliage... a clean miss...

I was back on the same "scrubapple hillside" on Sunday and was hunting just thirty or forty yards to the right of where that pair flushed the day before. Some movement caught my eye on the ground ahead of me and the closer I got the more frantic the movement. It was a grouse trying desperately to get airborn and just couldn't get higher than two or three feet off the ground. I realized what it was.... the bird I shot at the day before had actually been hit and I failed to see any evidence of a hit. Usually in such cases I will search for as much as thirty minutes to find birds I think I have hit. I wrote this one off as a complete miss... but boy, was I wrong. I gave her a mercy shot in the head and was glad I didn't leave her for coyote fodder. As you can see, this is a 'bird of the year'.

No, I don't hunt with a dog... sometimes by choice - sometimes not... but a good bird dog certainly earns its keep in so many situations and gathering in wing-tipped birds is right up there near the top.

Dean Romig
10-08-2013, 11:36 AM
A few more...

Dean Romig
10-08-2013, 11:41 AM
And finally....

Mills Morrison
10-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Great photos!

Rick Losey
10-08-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm jealous

beautiful country

and quick progress on the roof, i guess getting to go hunt after the chores is a good incentive

charlie cleveland
10-08-2013, 06:51 PM
dean sounds like you had a pretty good work out on this trip..it was a wonder you had enough strenth to pull those hammers back on that little gun...did you get to shoot the little twenty after all...beautiful pictures fall is wonderfull...what that new roof material called...heck if i knowed you like to work on barns you can come help me and i want work you till midnite either. ha charlie

Rich Anderson
10-08-2013, 07:17 PM
a good bird dog certainly earns its keep in so many situations and gathering in wing-tipped birds is right up there near the top.

Dean you took the words right out of my fat little fingers:rotf:
I haven't seen the family groups here either but there are birds around.

Marc Retallack
10-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Dean,

What part of VT? I have family in Bridgewater.

Is that a Hi-Lift peeking up above the roofline in the fourth pic?

Cheers,
Marcus

Dean Romig
10-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Dean,

What part of VT? I have family in Bridgewater.

Is that a Hi-Lift peeking up above the roofline in the fourth pic?

Cheers,
Marcus

Marc, we're in the Northeast Kingdom not far from St. Johnsbury.

4th picture is Tom's New Holland tractor lifting a pallet of the rolls of roofing.

Charlie, we worked from 8:15 in the morning til 12:10 in the afternoon.... not midnight.
And I don't remember what Tom calls that roll stuff but you can read it in the picture but he calls it by another name.

Marc Retallack
10-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks Dean. I hope you guys were able to make use of that New Holland in getting the sheathing up there. As a guy who has "schlepped" his share of sheathing and shingles up a ladder, it's nice to see others doing it:whistle:

Thanks again, Dean.

Marcus

Dean Romig
10-08-2013, 10:22 PM
The plywood went up with the help of the New Holland about 25 sheets per load.
It is only 5/8" ply and easier to handle than 3/4. It's weather tight for the winter. In the spring it will get 4" sheets of foam insulation with standing-seam steel on top of that. Should last several generations.

Stephen Hodges
10-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Dean, when they come that hard they taste mighty good:) And after all that manual labor................good shot!

Dean Romig
10-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Dean did you get to shoot the little twenty after all? charlie

No Charlie, I promised I wouldn't shoot the little 20 ga lifter. I took my 16 ga lifter on the 0-frame with the 24" barrels with no choke.... originally 28" barrels.

And No, by the way - I don't especially like to work on barns, although it is good clean honest work. I help Tom because he is my dear friend. I've known him since he was about 2 years old. My Dad and his Dad hunted together up there for several decades. They're both gone now.

Rich Anderson
10-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Dean please tell us more about the 20ga lifter:bowdown:

Dean Romig
10-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Rich, see my thread "Peoples Choice Late Arrival" for pictures and discussion.