PDA

View Full Version : A Hawks Free Lunch

Ed Blake
10-05-2013, 09:22 PM
My son Edward was shooting dove (with a Parker 20) and he a nice little pile of them on the seat of his hunting stool. He was standing about 10 feet away when a big Red Tail hawk came out of nowhere and snatched a dead dove off the seat and took off across the cornfield. Pretty bold move I'd say but he got away with it.

Mills Morrison
10-05-2013, 10:38 PM
You never know what you are going to see while out hunting. I saw an eagle and vulture fighting while turkey hunting this year. These experiences are always the ones you really remember.

Daryl Corona
10-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Just another indication of how bad the economy is. Even Red Tails can't find a decent job and have to take handouts.:shock:

David Dwyer
10-06-2013, 08:13 AM
I had a resident Red Tail that would "come to the sound of the guns" When I had a dove hunt he would always come, sit on a tree at the edge of the field and pick up shot doves. This went on for three years with some dove hunters getting angry:right Tom Carter? Then a resident eagle fought and killer the hawk. I really enjoyed watching the Red tail .
David

Bruce Day
10-06-2013, 09:24 AM
How about an aggressive golden eagle with a four or five foot wingspan circling above waiting for you to hit a bird?

They regularly kill lambs, fawns and geese.

Bill Murphy
10-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Our pigeon club is a great feasting area for hawks. They don't always wait until the shoot is over to go picking. A friend lost a pheasant to a mature Bald Eagle while shooting at Native Shore Shooting Preserve in MD.

Angel Cruz
10-06-2013, 09:55 AM
This is good. Yesterday mornig we lost a quail to our resident hawk. My boy Nash went on point and after a few minutes of kicking the brush we came on the remains of one white quail. Nothing but feathers and blood.
Pat wants to shot him because everytime she puts out birds for training by the time she gets back to field with the dog the hawk's already had breakfast. Of course she know she can't shot it.

Justin Julian
10-07-2013, 10:21 AM
I've had seagulls fillet the breasts right off ducks laying on the ice beyond the decoys, and a lot faster than you'd think possible.

Destry L. Hoffard
10-07-2013, 03:40 PM
I've seen hawks pick up pigeons right out of the ring on more than one occasion.

Once at the Philadelphia Gun Club one got into the bed of my truck and ate about half a goose that was laying there waiting to be cleaned.

DLH