PDA

View Full Version : not an auspicious start

Rick Losey
10-02-2013, 09:35 PM
season opened yesterday, but today was the first day I could get out.

I generally don't expect much with the trees leafed out and warm weather, but today was too warm, 77 degrees, so I figured a quick run in my traditional opening spot back home because it has good water. It was too hot for even my mesh vest, so I put a couple shells in the jeans watch pocket, a camera in my back pocket, gps in the right front and collar control in the left front.

we get there and soon got into the thick stuff, but the dogs where panting in no time so we started back through the low spot to the truck when I realized Osthaus' bell was silent, Griffin was still working to my left, Osthaus had been further out in front. So I pull out the collar transmitter and turn on Osthaus' beeper. The trouble is this area is a bit of an acoustic bowl and picking direction isn't easy, especially with my hearing. I started one way then noticed the sound fading so corrected but he came in as I got close so I assume the bird left. So its time to turn off the beeper, which I would if the transmitter was still in my pocket. I back track and search, but no luck. Its hot, so I call the dogs to heal and head back to the truck.

we come out of the thick stuff over the hill and I see red lights pull up near my truck. Hmm, maybe the DEC, in nearly 50 years of hunting I have never been checked. as I step out of the woods I see a school bus and a mini van in front of the deputy and there is a civilian wearing a tie waiting at the edge of the woods. He walks up to me and says "we have had a fender bender with you vehicle". WHAT - my truck is parked twenty feet off the road and its freakin RED :shock:

It seems the school bus driver was trying to turn around and crunched the front corner of my truck. He says "I turned around here yesterday"

BUT MY TRUCK WASN'T THERE YESTERDAY AND ITS STILL FREAKIN RED

OK, it insured and drivable, Turns out I know the family of the School's investigator, and the sheriffs deputy remembers me from playing with my son and nephew at the lake as a kid. small town stuff.

so I get home, go on line to order a new transmitter - Tri-Tronics discontinued the Sport Upland G3. :banghead: Not sure I can find a replacement.

The truck will in the shop for a few days next week, and no beepers to track the dogs anyway. :crying:

so another season begins

Thanks for listening

Dean Romig
10-02-2013, 09:59 PM
That's funny Rick. No, Really... That's FUNNY. Ya can't make this stuff up! Where do they come from?!?

Rick Losey
10-02-2013, 10:06 PM
That's funny Rick. No, Really... That's FUNNY. Ya can't make this stuff up! Where do they come from?!?

just another day in the life of......:rotf:

charlie cleveland
10-02-2013, 10:22 PM
only on the days of parker boys can you hear of such things happening..a school bus driver that can not see red.. a fender bender of the worst sort...hunting truck put out of commission...and hows a man to know if dogs is pointed or not with the electronics lost and no body will sell replacement parts anymore..and tommorrow will hopefully be better for rick so stay tuned in... rick i thought only something like this could happen to me or maybe dean.... charlie