PDA

View Full Version : Montana Prairie Grouse

Bruce Day
09-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Four of us in Montana, stopped by the Little Big Horn Battlefield where the boys from Michigan didn't fare so well, then to the Missouri Breaks for sage grouse, then to Fergis County for sharptails, prairie chickens and Hungarian partridge.

Hot, too hot, high 70's and low 80's past noon, so we started early and quit early. Lots of water, even standing in the sage brush flats.

My bird dog pulled off a nail sheath so I booted her for a couple days. She couldn't stand the boots so I finally took them off and she ran on the raw nail. Dick's Gordon got cut, so he stitched him up. The heat was tough on the dogs and hunters.

Some fishing for browns. The streams were on, and it would have been a great time to do some dedicated fishing.

Dr Dick Dow, Todd Kaltenbach, Russ Lindsay and me. The van is Dick's custom 4 wheel drive Ford Sportmobile. Bed, shower, mini kitchen. The Chevy is my old 1994 Suburban, 240,000 miles and good for another 10 years or until it hits a deer, whichever comes first. My next one is getting a deer/brush/gate guard when new.

Dennis V. Nix
09-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Bruce,

I have been to that part of Montana many times but never hunted there. It is an absolutely beautiful area. I am East coast born but mentally have been a Westerner since I was about 5 years old. While I still love the East and its history my heart lies somewhere in the West. Your pictures have brought your hunt and the Western landscape to life.

Thanks,

Dennis

Russ Lindsay
09-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Good looking hats there guys. Hope you got a volume discount!

Eric Eis
09-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Beautiful country... What kind of special Ford is that ?

Mills Morrison
09-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Just beautiful . . .

Richard Flanders
09-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Sorry I missed that one Bruce. Great pics as usual. See you soon. I have my guns packed for Minnesota... a 16 and a 20.

Casey O'Connor
09-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Awesome photo's. I grew up not too far from there and ya'll are making me homesick.
I sure do miss the good bird hunting. Thanks for the flashbacks!!!

James Kuzilik
09-27-2013, 06:09 PM
It was my plan to be up there this week for sage grouse, but it got cancelled, that heat is tough on our black dogs, but great pics and looks like great times. I'll be in SD next month for sharpies, chickens and hopefully get a few of them track stars to leave the ground, so I can bring em back down.
Thanks for the pics!
Jim

Jim Bennett
09-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Great fun in Mt.
Thanks for the visit.