PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

Rich Anderson
09-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Grouse season opened today to an overcast sky temps in the mid 50's and a call for rain. Today was a far cry from yesterday when it was 36 at 7am and I had to let the truck run to defrost the windshield.

Daisy and I took Gunner's Gun out to some state land near me. I haven't ever hunted this but it looked promising so we gave it a try. She pointed 3 Woodcock but they don't open untill next Saturday. A large bush shielded what my ears told me were two or three Grouse but I never saw them just heard em. No shots fired but it was good to be in the woods again with Gunner's gun. He has been gone one year yesterday and there's still a big hole he left behind but his spirit will be forever with me and I will always have special bond with a special Parker.

scott kittredge
09-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Maybe next time out Rich , I too can wait to get out, our season starts on the 1st. I will be hunting will my long time hunting buddy, Bill Janelle.(Bill we are going on the 1st wright?) We were hunting cowbirds with our daisy BB guns back about 1972,WOW this will be our 41st year of hunting together :eek:. scott

Rich Anderson
09-16-2013, 06:21 PM
It's nice to have such a good hunting buddy, from Daisey's to Parkers you have come a long ways. I'm heading to the Upper Pennisula Wednesday and will meet PGCA member Jack Cronkite there on Thursday.

Dean Romig
09-16-2013, 07:52 PM
WOW this will be our 41st year of hunting together :eek:. scott

I know what ya mean Scott... I married Kathy in '70 :whistle:

Harold Lee Pickens
09-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Rich, glad you were able to get out. Grouse season does not open in Ohio or West Virginia for a few more weeks. Even then , it is a waste of time to go out. The Ohio DNR has listed the grouse outlook as poor to very poor, and in my part of WV it is the same. I could move 20-30 flushes/day up thru about 2002 then the bottom dropped out. My diaries show 500 or so flushes per season from when I started keeping them in the early '80's (OCt- Feb season). Last year I had about 20 flushes for the season in Ohio, almost all pointed, and allowed myself to shoot at 2 and took them both.
If one goes afew hours NE in Pa., or a few hours SE to the WV mountains, things are better. Neither state has Sunday hunting, so one cant go for the weekend. C an't wait until I can go up to the UP for a month at a time. I have been running the dogs to get them in shape for the upcoming trip.
Good luck and shoot straight!!!

Rich Anderson
09-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Harold I'm leaving tomorrow for a few days on Turner Rd. I'll let you know how it goes. I have 10 days cleared out for the end of Oct.

Richard Flanders
09-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Hope you have a good time with Jack. I've always wanted to swing in and see him when driving to/fro with Trigg. Whatever happens you at least be guaranteed of good pictures with Jack along!

Kenny Graft
09-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Harold...I too live in Ohio and have a camp not far from salt fork state park. We always had a couple on the property. Grouse have been gone for a few years now but I have heard about birds being flushed in the area this past spring. I hope they come back soon! good looking setter dog you have. SXS Ohio...(-: