PDA

View Full Version : WE ARE HEADED FOR NON-TOXIC FOR DOVE HUNTING

Jerry Harlow
09-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Take a look at this survey and one can see where the government is going with this. It will be tough on using Parkers with non-toxic shot in my opinion. My answers were based on the fact that I know what they want to do.

Daryl Corona
09-12-2013, 07:33 AM
I got the same survey and my answers are virtually identical to yours Jerry. I agree, lead shot is doomed.

Rick Losey
09-12-2013, 08:13 AM
personally, I have the feeling lead shot is eventually doomed for all hunting. With large urban areas driving most states and the constant drum beat from "environmentalists" that lead is always bad anyplace it is used. Add in that the antis may see it as a way to price folks out of participating - the stars will align.

Maybe I should put away some small nice shot just in case, its not like I will go broke shooting at grouse now a days :rolleyes:

Stephen Hodges
09-12-2013, 09:08 AM
I along with most folks who like to shoot vintage guns, hope lead is never banned,:shock: but if it were, don’t you think non-toxic shot alternatives will drop in price? If they are the only game in town, then I would imagine capitalism will take over and lower the prices. More volume, lower prices. Maybe I am just dreaming, but I would hope it would:corn:

Destry L. Hoffard
09-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Ontario just opened a dove season for the first time, non-toxic shot only.....

I've got two cases of steel 7's in the back of the truck to take over for my friends. Dad's old Stevens is wide open chokes, should be ok in that small shot size.

DLH

Marc Retallack
09-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Stephen,

I hope you're correct but I'm pessimistic about that happening. Given that most vintage barrel friendly non-toxic ammo is tungsten based, I don't see it getting less expensive. Raw tungsten is costly, limited in supply and in high demand http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocentral/2012/03/14/the-world-is-running-low-on-tungsten-why-you-should-care/

As I'm only 40 and hope to be hunting for a long time, a few years ago I started buying up Bismuth, Kent TM, etc... whenever I could find it for a good price. My last sizeable score was 15 or 20 boxes of 2 3/4" 12ga Kent TM 1 3/8oz 5s for around $20 a box. I foolishly shared that find with another member here;) (hope you're still enjoying them Daryl).

I have no doubt that lead will be banned in my lifetime.

Cheers,
Marcus

Daryl Corona
09-13-2013, 04:07 AM
Thanks Marc, I know a good deal when I see one.:bowdown:

Rick Losey
09-17-2013, 10:06 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/16/california-poised-to-be-first-state-to-impose-statewide-ban-on-lead-bullets/?intcmp=HPBucket