PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire Crow Shooting Academy

Pete Lester
08-31-2013, 06:10 PM
I did a how to hunt crow seminar for NH Fish & Game Department this August. It went pretty well with about 20 people in attendance. NH Public Radio did a story (unbiased) and you can listen to here if you are interested.

http://nhpr.org/post/crow-hunting-new-hampshire

Dave Suponski
08-31-2013, 06:31 PM
Nice job Pete, I never knew that they landed into the wind. will have to set up that way next time out.

Daryl Corona
09-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Good job Pete! Now that you are a media mogul, please tell us how you got that gig on NPR. Could this possibly lead to your own miniseries? It would have been really cool if you had worn your PGCA t-shirt for the seminar.:bowdown:

Pete Lester
09-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Good job Pete! Now that you are a media mogul, please tell us how you got that gig on NPR. Could this possibly lead to your own miniseries? It would have been really cool if you had worn your PGCA t-shirt for the seminar.:bowdown:

Thanks Daryl. I did the first crow hunting seminar for F&G back in 2006. That was picked up by an AP reporter who attended. That one made the Boston Globe, Atlanta Journal, Houston Chronicle, ESPN Online and some other outlets. This time a reporter from NHPR attended. I was wearing an NH F&G Owl Brook Hunter Ed Center t-shirt which seemed appropiate.

charlie cleveland
09-01-2013, 09:46 AM
a few tips on crow hunting may be nessecary for some of us... charlie

Rick Losey
09-01-2013, 10:58 AM
I thought you looked more like John Wayne :rolleyes:

nice presentation, the large flock that hangs around here just up a disappeared, maybe they knew this post was coming

Pete Lester
09-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I thought you looked more like John Wayne :rolleyes:

nice presentation, the large flock that hangs around here just up a disappeared, maybe they knew this post was coming

All part of masking one's identity :rotf:

CraigThompson
09-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I had a friend that was a big crow hunter !

This guy used to be my Grouse Hunting Partner as well , shot skeet and trap with him as well !

Anyway he was big on something that was totally illegal .

He liked to wing a couple crows early in the shoot then tie them to something close to where he was sitting . They'd raise hell for awhile then get quiet , he'd smack them with a stick and they'd raise hell again and each time the crows would come back in !

Kinda like the old market gunners with the pet duck and or goose .

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
09-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Craig: And they wonder why hunters get a bad rap. Thomas

David Hamilton
09-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Crows are a truly smart and wary bird. I used to hunt then as a young teenager and learned a bit about hunting in the process. The crows seemed to understand the intentions of anyone they saw. We could shoot out of car windows in those days and if a crow saw a rifle barrel sticking out of a car window they would be off before you could draw a bead. I did shoot ravens and crows by walking in heavy cover and shooting vertically at unsuspecting birds above. David

Dean Romig
09-08-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't believe there is an open season on ravens anywhere in the lower 48.

If there is, there shouldn't be.

David Hamilton
09-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Dean, That would have been in the early 1950's. In the part of the Blue Ridge where I summered, there was bounty on crows and ravens. No distinction was made. Ravens were rare that far south but did travel the mountain ridges down almost to South Carolina. I gave up shooting crows many years ago and there is a good sized flock around my house. I can recognize some of their voices from year to year. Deer, that's what I shoot. We have a problem with them and they have helped spread dangerous diseases via the deer tick. Cheers, David

CraigThompson
09-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Dean, That would have been in the early 1950's. In the part of the Blue Ridge where I summered, there was bounty on crows and ravens. No distinction was made. Ravens were rare that far south but did travel the mountain ridges down almost to South Carolina. I gave up shooting crows many years ago and there is a good sized flock around my house. I can recognize some of their voices from year to year. Deer, that's what I shoot. We have a problem with them and they have helped spread dangerous diseases via the deer tick. Cheers, David

If I'm not mistaken we can hunt them in Virginia monday wednesday friday and saturday like 9 months out of the year .

FWIW a good portion of the crows I've shot over the years were done when I was shooting groundhogs !

We'd just use the old groundhog rifle and shoot them from the hood of the truck !

I've been doing my level best to decimate the deer population in a couple central Virginia places !
We've way layed 14 so far this year . I'm hoping to get 5 more myself before the end of the month when or DCP's run out !

Dennis V. Nix
09-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Shooting out of a car window was legal?

Dennis