PDA

View Full Version : turkey hunting

Andrew Karle
04-23-2013, 09:38 PM
I have a double barrel Damascus steel manufactured in 1896, which belonged to my great-grandfather, I would love to shoot my first turkey with this shotgun. It appears to have an abrupt ring in the chamber is this just for brass shells? Where can I find the shells and what shot do I need for turkey?
Andrew

charlie cleveland
04-24-2013, 12:30 PM
andrew you can shoot smokeless powder in the gun if you go by the book and if barrels are in fairly good shape..if you are not a reloader your self then i would buy the RST brand of shells lite loads they are made with care and will kill a turkey if you do your part.. i would get a box of no 6 and a box of no 4...use the 6 in the right barrel and the no 4 in the left barrel...old saying goes if the right one dont getcha then the left one will..depending on how much choke you gun has it should get a turkey easy at 35 steps and if its full choke on out to 45 steps but draw the line at 45 steps... hope you get a turkey were waiting on pictures .... charlie

Andrew Karle
04-24-2013, 09:11 PM
thanks Charlie all my life Ive wanted to use this gun and everyone I talked to said they are dangerous just hang it on the wall. Well my greatgrandfather used it and everyone else used them whats the problem . I do reload rifle and shotgun but I need to look into what I need to reload for my Parker. I ordered two boxes of #6 shot RST my choke is between full and extra full. Mark said they pattern very well but you have a point if one wont the other one will. Andrew