PDA

View Full Version : Kansas drought

Kenny Graft
04-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Any word about the conditions in Kansas and the summer forcast...I hunt Hill City area and the past two years have been realy bad for the birds. We plan to go this november as well perviding they do not get a rerun of last summer. I fear if it happens again we will loose the birds forever. Kenny Graft SXS ohio

Phil Yearout
04-15-2013, 10:24 AM
We probably won't know much until later in the year; the farmers' reports on the number of chicks and birds seen while doing field work are a pretty good indicator of what we'll find in the fall. But if you listen to the locals, the outlook ain't good; most folks I talk to think it may take several years for the numbers to rebound.

I stomp around Hill City too; I think I may have seen your Ohio plates a time or two.

Kenny Graft
04-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I have been hill city 4 times......The hunting is just like ohio was when I was young...1967-1977 then it got bad! We lost most of our roosters and all of our quail winter of 1978....now it is rare to see a non stocked bird on the east side of Ohio. I still plan to go out to Kansas this fall and pray they do not get the drought, heat or hail storms this summer. The farmers and birds need a break! and a good year. If all goes well maybe I will see you this november...(-: Keep me posted... SXS ohio