PDA

View Full Version : Defining the "Perfect Grouse Gun"

Dean Romig
04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Alright, there are a great number of opinions of what defines the "Perfect Grouse Gun" so let's get some of those opinions here but let's limit it to Parkers.

Mills Morrison
04-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Good idea. I have never been grouse hunting but want to go someday.

Rick Losey
04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Not to be wise, the perfect grouse gun is one I can hit them with with any sense of regularity

Electrical tape or not:rolleyes:

Light but not too light and and it fits, everything else is extra

Dave Suponski
04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Dean, You already know my definition of the perfect grouse gun. For now...:rolleyes: The problem is we always find a gun that we think will be just a bit better.

Jack Cronkhite
04-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I have not shot a rough grouse since I was about 15 or 16. So, since I got one, my perfect grouse gun is a VH 32" M/F DHBP CPG - also the gun that got me involved with PGCA trying to find new barrels. Also my Dad's gun so, all in all, it is the perfect Parker.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/HPIM6768.JPG
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/HPIM6795.JPG

Jay Gardner
04-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Ok, I'll play:

16 ga
28" or 30" barrels
choke (Parker chokes) IC/Mod
straight stock from a nice stick of dark walnut
splinter fe
relatively light, around 6-lb, 4-oz
V or higher grade
NO ejectors
double triggers

Simple as that.

Daryl Corona
04-11-2013, 04:30 PM
This is an easy one for me. My straight grip, 28 VH, IC/M at 5.5lb. Can carry it all day one handed while pushing limbs and brush aside with the other. Deadly little wand it is.

Rich Anderson
04-11-2013, 05:13 PM
First off there is no perfect Grouse gun. Ok now that thats cleared up it depends on the time of the season. Early on when the leaves are thick I like a DHE 20 straight grip and choked cyl/cyl. Early October when the Woodcock are available a VHE 28 also straight grip choked skt/skt sees the coverts. This year a certain AA 28 w/ball grip will make it's debut:) When the leaves begin to fall and visability increases then the 28 inch damascuss GH 16 comes out to play with the ic/m chokes.

In reality the perfect Grouse gun is the one I'm carrying at the time I'm hunting Mr. Grouse:rotf:

scott kittredge
04-11-2013, 05:18 PM
mine is a 1 frame DH 12 ga 28 in. Damascus barrels choke Lt..004 rt .009 weight 6 lbs 10 oz, with 7/8th oz 7's at 1050 fps:)now all i need is to see some grouse, scott

Dean Romig
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
This year a certain AA 28 w/ball grip will make it's debut:)

I think you left out a letter... we'll just call it a typo. Didn't you mean to type AyA ?

Rich Anderson
04-11-2013, 06:00 PM
NO!

Steve Kleist
04-11-2013, 10:41 PM
First off there is no perfect Grouse gun. Ok now that thats cleared up it depends on the time of the season. Early on when the leaves are thick I like a DHE 20 straight grip and choked cyl/cyl. Early October when the Woodcock are available a VHE 28 also straight grip choked skt/skt sees the coverts. This year a certain AA 28 w/ball grip will make it's debut:) When the leaves begin to fall and visability increases then the 28 inch damascuss GH 16 comes out to play with the ic/m chokes.

In reality the perfect Grouse gun is the one I'm carrying at the time I'm hunting Mr. Grouse:rotf:

Rich,
You are on target with those gun and especially choke choices. We differ only slightly with gauge preferences. I love those open chokes for the early season alders.....there's nothing like ruining the resale by opening chokes to make a gun perfect!
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Russ Jackson
04-11-2013, 11:56 PM
This particular Day ,This One !:)

Dean Romig
04-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Of course it is!

Rich Anderson
04-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Steve I haven't opened the chokes on any of the guns mentioned. I'm sure the chokes were opened on the DHE 20 at CYL/CYL but I didn't do it.

Gary Laudermilch
04-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Ok, I'll weigh in on a subject that is as difficult to nail down as what to look for in the perfect woman.

I will not use the term balance because it is misleading. To me, the most important aspect is the dynamics of the gun. I like a piece with a bit of weight but with most of it between the hands. The weight smooths the swing and tames muzzle jump. A dynamic gun will feel much lighter than it actually is. It will come to the target smoothly and smooth equates to fast. And, since I like to practice quite a bit with my grouse gun, weight very much tames recoil.

I've had the pleasure of shooting many different so called grouse guns. Very few have qualified. Passable yes, but ideal no. I have no bone to pick with the 28 ga except the cost and availability of ammo and their excessively light weight. Most I've shot had more perceived recoil than my 12's. The 12 is just overkill for grouse but if I had one with the right dynamics I would not hesitate to use it. The 20 has everything going for it. Ammo , reloading components, and empty hulls are easy to find. There is enough weight but not so much that an old guy like me cannot carry it all day.

After many years of looking and trying different guns I found what I consider ideal. It is a Parker repro 20 with 26 inch barrels that weighs 6-12. It has double triggers which I consider ideal for skittish grouse over dogs. Switching barrels is instant and without thought. I had the ckokes opened to .004 and .008. The tight barrel will break clays hard to 30 plus yards, about the max I will shoot at a grouse. The factory Q1/Q2 would make an ideal combination but I could not find one when I was in the market to buy.

This is my dedicated grouse gun and my only wish is that I had it 40 years ago. While it is, in my opinion, an ideal grouse gun I have used it quite a bit for doves as well. I've shot more doubles on doves with this gun than any other. Two years ago I managed 3 doubles in a row. There is no amount of money that would get me to part with it.

Jay Gardner
04-12-2013, 12:40 PM
At the end of the day all that I can say is I am glad it's easier to find the perfect woman than the perfect grouse gun and it's a hell of a lot less expensive (relatively speaking, of course).

Harold Lee Pickens
04-12-2013, 01:07 PM
I've beeen watching this thread with interest. I have many good grouse guns, but not the perfect one yet. I have Setterman's perfect gun-- an O frame 16 DHE w/ cyl/mod chokes, and st. grip, but the damn thing is too short (13 7/8 lop) with about 3" of drop. This year I am going to shoot a VH 20 w/ 26" cyl/m @ 6 lbs even. It hasnt been carried since 1990 when I tripped on the only piece of barbed wire I have ever seen in the woods in the UP, and broke the stock. My Vh 1 frame 16 has been my goto grouse getter for many years-just wish it was a few ounces lighter. Also have some Sterlingworth 16's and 20's that have to be carried a few days a year.
Not a Parker, but a little grade 2 Ugartechea 20 at 5 1/2 lbs went 11 out of 15 during my last 3 days in the UP last year.
Truth told, I would hunt with my old Iver Johnson single shot 30' full choke 12 as long as I could hunt over my dogs(setters).

Russ Jackson
04-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Harold ,Nice picture , isn't it amazing how much a Dogs ear will bleed when stuck with a Heavy Briar or crab apple !

Rick Losey
04-12-2013, 03:27 PM
yeah Harold

I am glad to see other setters that are as thrilled to pose as much as mine :rotf:

Larry Frey
04-12-2013, 07:26 PM
It's tough to chose sometimes but it's always good to have choices.:) Both these DHE's have 26" barrels and are choked IC/Full. The 0 frame 16 gauge (right) weights 6 pounds even while the 1 frame 12 gauge weights in at 6 pounds 4 ounces.

Rich Anderson
04-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I must admit I have never understood the reasoning behind choking a gun IC/F. IMHO the full choke bbl is to tight for a second shot at Grouse or Pheasant for that matter. The second shot is usually immediately following the first and the bird hasn't put enough real estate between itself and the hunter to warrant such constriction.

Dean Romig
04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Probably for the bird that flushes 'wild' at 30 yards and gets out to 45 by the time you shoot. It would be useless to use the more open choke on such a shot

Larry Frey
04-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I must admit I have never understood the reasoning behind choking a gun IC/F.

Rich,
Having hunted with flushing dogs for many years I really appreciate those chokes. Unlike hunting over pointers you never really know when a bird will get up. If a bird gets up close I automatically grab the front trigger and can shoot without destroying the bird. If he gets up at a distance or on the rare occasion I miss the first shot :shock: I go for the back trigger and have enough pattern to get a good kill. Both guns have what I would call light full or even improved mod for the left barrels. The 16 is at .020 and the 12 is at .025. I know some think a 12 gauge is overkill but I shoot very light 7/8 oz loads and actually have a box of 2 1/2" x 3/4oz RST's in #10 shot that Morris gave me to try out on woodcock this year.

Stephen Hodges
04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Mine loves to pose:):)

Rich Anderson
04-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Haveing hunted with a pointing dog most of my adult life :rotf: I have been spoiled I guess.

I have used Morris's #10 shot in a 28ga for Quail and Woodcock and like them alot.

Jay Gardner
04-12-2013, 11:03 PM
I must admit I have never understood the reasoning behind choking a gun IC/F.

Hard to beat that combination for late season but if I were to build a gun from scratch it would be choked Skeet and Improved Mod. Never seen a grouse stick around long enough for a quick second shot so I prefer a little extra choke and it gives me time to recover and re-aquire my target.

Rich Anderson
04-13-2013, 07:08 AM
My late season gun is a GH 16 0 frame choked .004 & .010. By late season I'm talking the end of October and the first two weeks of November the rest of the time I use primarly skt/skt chokes with the occasional gun thats IC/M.

Only 5 months to go!

Steve Leffler
04-13-2013, 09:05 AM
I have a DHE 16 that has accounted for a good number of grouse. Weighs 6lbs 6 oz with 28 in barrels and just seems to find the birds when I shoot. Luckily it fits me really well. Never happy to leave well enough alone I just acquired a VH 20 with similar dimensions. The big difference is that it has a straight stock. My plan is to use the 20 in the early season when the woodcock are still here and switch to the 16 later in the year and for pheasants. At least that is the rationale I used to convince my wife I needed another gun :)

Eric Eis
04-13-2013, 09:18 AM
I have a DHE 16 that has accounted for a good number of grouse. Weighs 6lbs 6 oz with 28 in barrels and just seems to find the birds when I shoot. Luckily it fits me really well. Never happy to leave well enough alone I just acquired a VH 20 with similar dimensions. The big difference is that it has a straight stock. My plan is to use the 20 in the early season when the woodcock are still here and switch to the 16 later in the year and for pheasants. At least that is the rationale I used to convince my wife I needed another gun :)

See this is the reason why I say there is no prefect grouse gun :rotf: if there was a perfect grouse gun I would be limited to "one" and that ain't going to happen.........:eek:

John Taddeo
04-13-2013, 05:08 PM
An old timer once told me the perfect grouse\woodcock gun is one that is more comfortable and balanced when carried to the front (port arms) than when carried on the shoulder. Moving into a point without having to swing the gun off ones shoulder seems to make the shot second nature. He reasoned when a gun is rested on the shoulder it is done so to relieve an uncomfortable arm due to a over and\or unbalanced weight. All of my ( short barrel, small bore, pistol grip) grouse guns do not ride well on the shoulder. (unless open). The Parker 0 frames,and featherweight Brownings are second to none, "for me", as far as carry and swing are concerned.

Fred Preston
04-13-2013, 06:14 PM
My most used "grouse gun" is an old cut barreled VH 2 frame 12, resleeved by K. M. after I burst a barrel. The barrels are 26" and choked .007 and .015. It's a little heavy so I am going to have to try my "new" 5&1/4 pound Fox SW 16 this year. First pic is five years ago with Ringo; second is two years ago with Archie.

Rich Anderson
04-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I did a quick "tally" and have eleven "perfect grouse guns" from 28 through 16, no 12's for me:nono:

Harold Lee Pickens
04-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Only 11, Rich? Did you forget to look under the bed and in the garage rafters? Yeah, I probably have around a dozen of what could be considered bonifide grouse getters. I,d have to start with a VH16, with a Sterlingworth 16 running a close second. I usually bring 4-6 with me on my fall trip and enjoy using them all

will evans
04-14-2013, 03:56 AM
I am currently in Switzerland with my wife, staying with a couple of her friends. Just yesterday I managed to drag them in to a hunting store so I could look at their shotguns. After leaving, there was conversation regarding how many guns a hunter needs. I already knew my wife thinks I have too many guns, but they both remarked that it would seem a hunter only needs one gun. I quickly corrected them, carrying on for far longer then either of them were interested regarding the different types of cover, species of bird, distance of anticipated shooting, etc which might prompt a serious hunter to seek out and own many different guns for different hunting conditions. I tried my best to conceal my emerging smile after the Mrs. conceded, "Oh, well I guess that makes sense. I didn't realize they were so specialized."

I said, "Yes, bird hunting is a very complicated sport."

Rich Anderson
04-14-2013, 12:17 PM
To some (my wife doesn't know exact numbers:) ) it may seem excessive but there are early season guns and late season guns and the in between guns. 11 Grouse guns doesn't sound like much compared to the deer/big game rifles. Don't tell anybody but there are 33 of them....:eek:

Harold Lee Pickens
04-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Rich'
my lips are sealed

Rich Anderson
04-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm hoping to add a Grouse gun...or two to the stable while at the Southern:)

Daryl Corona
04-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Only a good bottle of Buffalo Trace will seal my lips. Other than that I can't promise your secret is safe with me. Audrey, are you listening?:rotf:

James L. Martin
04-15-2013, 02:11 PM
After 40 years of grouse hunting I must say my 26 inch 20ga VH at just under 6 lb's comes in real close to the perfect grouse gun, but I have used 12ga auto"s down to 28ga side by sides. I think the perfect grouse gun must be 6 lb"s or under and a 16 or a 20 ga, I have no problem with a 12 but it's hard to get a 6 lb one unless its a 2 inch ,which is on my want list, and by the way just over 5 months till grouse season.

Jeff Christie
04-15-2013, 05:47 PM
I must admit I have never understood the reasoning behind choking a gun IC/F. IMHO the full choke bbl is to tight for a second shot at Grouse or Pheasant for that matter. The second shot is usually immediately following the first and the bird hasn't put enough real estate between itself and the hunter to warrant such constriction.

Have you shot (at) many roosters? I live in NW Iowa and that is a great combination. You shouldn't have to shoot twice too many times at a rooster.

Steve Kleist
04-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Attached below (I hope) is a photo of my knucklehead lab 'Tober who loves to point. As you can see by the northern Minnesota late season cover, an open choke is the ticket. My double trigger 26 inch 28 ga chokes have been opened twice, now at .001" right and .003" left..... modified, devalued, appropriate, & priceless.
Just my 2 cents.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Rich Anderson
04-16-2013, 05:01 PM
My absolute favorite Grouse gun bar none is a DHE 20 with 26 inch barrels choked cyl/IC and its a sloppy IC at best.

Jack Cronkhite
04-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Good God, I just realized a couple dozen guns is not enough. What to do, what to do???
:eek:

charlie cleveland
04-16-2013, 05:17 PM
i got to get me some grouse before i can use my grouse gun a 20 ga gh parker 26 inch cly and cly... charlie

Rich Anderson
04-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Spend Jack spend with all the reckless abandon you have within your inner soul spend those hard earned dollars on Grouse and Pheasant guns you can take afield and enjoy. Have you ever killed a bird with your bank statement??

Jr.:biglaugh:

Rich Anderson
04-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Charlie you can substitue Quail for Grouse.

charlie cleveland
04-16-2013, 10:27 PM
no quail either unless tyou shoot pen raised..this is what we do... charlie

Dennis V. Nix
04-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Charlie you are probably doing just fine. One turkey should make up for about 30-40 quail in the freezer. As I recall you have two turkeys now with a third on the way. Of course you don't get the shooting practice with turkeys. Good luck with the third turkey.

Dennis

Dean Romig
04-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Lets see... my "perfect grouse guns" are pictured (but not necessarily limited to those) here.

First picture is my (shooter) 0-Frame LAM1 16 ga. with 28" barrels.

The next four are of my 28 ga. repro with 26 barrels that I can use Kathy's Q1 & Q2 barrels for early season
shooting and my 26" IC/MOD barrels for later when the leaves are down and the birds flush farther out.

Dean Romig
04-17-2013, 10:29 PM
A few more.

The first one is with Kathy's 28 ga. Repro 26" with Q1 & Q2 chokes.

Next picture, top to bottom; 28 Ga. VHE 26" with .008" and .015" chokes.

PH 16 ga. open and full.

VH 20 Ga. open and tight mod.

Trojan 20 Ga. with effective chokes.

Trojan 16 Ga. IC & Mod.

Last Picture illustrates that the gun you use really doesn't make as much difference as the poeple you do it with.

charlie cleveland
04-17-2013, 11:01 PM
nice parkers and beautiful scenery... charlie

Rich Anderson
04-19-2013, 07:59 PM
I had it in my hands today. straight stock, SST, BTF 26 inch bbls choked skt/skt. A wonderfull VHE 28....now the craftyness begins:whistle: And just to complicate things there is one I have my eye on at the Southern as well...a lovely CHE damascuss 20.....blood for sale (again) grade A O+ :)

Rick Losey
04-19-2013, 09:03 PM
.blood for sale (again) grade A O+ :)

I like A grade 0's :rolleyes:

allen newell
04-22-2013, 02:30 PM
16 ga (any grade) Mod/Improved chokes - all day long

Jay (deleted)
07-17-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm a really avid ruffed grouse hunter and have been in search of the perfect grouse gun "for me" since I graduated from college in 1984.

I think the perfect grouse gun for me is a 12 bore that weighs 6-1/4 - 6- 1/2 pounds. 28-30" barrels, straight grip, splinter forend. I like chokes of .003 & .007.

I have not found such a combination in an American double so my ideals have been English like this H & H Royal.
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/jcj138265/102017.jpg

That said, I can't afford such guns so I only get to hunt with them when friends who can afford them visit and allow me to carry them.

I hunt with a 1925 20 bore VHE with 28" barrels. I've never measured the chokes so I'm not sure what they are but when I walk in on my dogs point I have complete confidence that if I do my job, the Parker will do its.
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/jcj138265/4-1.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/jcj138265/5-2.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/jcj138265/1026127.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/jcj138265/1115127.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/jcj138265/122122.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/jcj138265/1115121.jpg

Harold Lee Pickens
07-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Jay,
looks to me as if you have the perfect gun. I dont think a light 12 would really be that much better. Like you, I have been searching for the perfect grouse gun since 1983, and have accumulated many good ones. My latest is a GH 16 O frame IC/M that will make its debut this fall--so far I am smitten!
Last year it was a grade2 Ugartechea that was the magic wand ( 11 out of 15 in the 3 days it was carried on grouse). I , too, have a little VH 20 w/ 26' cyl/mod barrels that needs a few days in the grouse woods.ps, the gun is unloaded and not really pointed at my head!

Rick Losey
07-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Harold,

I love that one as a dog picture

Dean Romig
07-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Nice guns! And it looks like you had a great day of grouse shooting!

Rich Anderson
07-17-2013, 03:19 PM
My new perfect Grouse gun is a Charles Boswell damascuss 20ga with straight stock, double triggers and ejectors. She's choked IC/M with 28 inch tubes and is a lith 5lbs 7oz which is 6oz lighter than my H&H 20:shock:

I'm going to Duluth, MN for a shoot this weekend so I might just another perfect Grouse gun there:rolleyes:

chris dawe
07-17-2013, 05:02 PM
My O frame 16 ,with 28 inch tubes comes pretty close,in the first photo I picked up two more birds on the way out...I have to admit though,I do have an Ithaca flues 1 1/2 grade 16 with 30 inch bbls that has bagged an awful lot of birds:whistle:

Dave Noreen
07-18-2013, 10:50 PM
I've killed far more Ruffed Grouse with a Harrington & Richardson "Sealed Eight" .22 LR revolver, in my two summers of working for the U.S. Forest Service, then any other firearm.

Jeff Christie
07-19-2013, 06:11 PM
I've killed far more Ruffed Grouse with a Harrington & Richardson "Sealed Eight" .22 LR revolver, in my two summers of working for the U.S. Forest Service, then any other firearm.

Please define summer. I don't know of many (or any) places where grouse are open legal game in the summer. There may be some- enlighten me.

Harold Lee Pickens
07-20-2013, 07:25 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Bill Zachow
08-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Well, you guys are just too set in your ways. Short barreled 16, 20, and 28s with straight grips and lite weight. No sir ree. Up here on my farms, we use real men's guns. Early season when the leaves are still on, I use my 13 1/2 pound PH, 36 inch barrels (for good follow through) choked full and fuller (.40 and .44). The first shot clears the leaves and allows for the second at approximately 60 yards. Later in the season, with the leaves now gone, I switch to my light weight hammer 8--12 pounds and 34 inch barrels choked "not so full" and full. Compared to my early season gun, this grouse killer is a wand. You may have detected a bit of "tung in cheek" here as I have yet to kill a grouse with either. However, I bet sometime in their youths, the both knocked off a bird or two.

Russ Jackson
08-08-2013, 08:56 AM
As for perfect Grouse guns ,I may have just got mine ,believe it or not I ended up with the little GH 20 that just sold for the third time in a week on our Forum ,you Guys remember the one I missed twice in a 24 Hour Period :eek: ! Ends up the second buyer sent it back home and it now resides at my place , and I couldn't be more pleased :) ! This little Grouse Getter is a GH 20 Ga. ,5 Lb 14 Oz. ,26" Damascus Barrels with 27 Thou. Min.Wall Thickness ,Choked CYL. and Full ! Now all we need is October !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich Anderson
08-08-2013, 09:06 AM
I firmly believe the perfect Grouse gun doesn't exist. It's just a myth so we keep looking for that elusive Grouse gun and thats ok with me. I have bought three so far and Grouse season is still 5 weeks away.

Congrats Russ I think you will like her. One of my "perfect Grouse" guns is a GHE damascuss 20 with 26 inch bbl IC/M.

Dean Romig
08-08-2013, 09:11 AM
That is a wonderful little gun Russ and I firmly believe you now have "The Perfect Grouse Gun"....

(until the next one tempts and teases you.) :whistle:

Rich Anderson
08-08-2013, 09:17 AM
There is ALWAYS a next one:bowdown:

Dean Romig
08-08-2013, 09:35 AM
True Rich.... I just acquired one myself... a first-year-production (1935) Ithaca (:o) "New Ithaca Field Grade" sixteen gauge Skeet gun with ejectors, 26" tubes, BTFE, straight grip, twin ivories in excellent condition.

Sometimes these guns just find us... and we just can't refuse them.

Rich Anderson
08-08-2013, 09:56 AM

Sometimes these guns just find us... and we just can't refuse them.

Thats so true Dean. Lately the 16's have been coming my way:) The Ithaca's are a great gun and a real value in today's double gun marker IMHO. Congrats on a nice find.

Dean Romig
08-08-2013, 10:12 AM
This from a 1935 issue of National Sportsman.

The only option my Ithaca doesn't have is the selective single trigger.

James L. Martin
08-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Some more grouse guns, from the top, 20ga VHE 30" , 20ga VH 26" , 20ga Win 21 26" and 12ga DH 26"

Harold Lee Pickens
08-08-2013, 12:02 PM
congratulations Russ!! I'll bring my new to me GH 16 O frame. Maybe you wont need that DH 20 damascus now??

John Taddeo
08-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Dean, looking at your magazine ad that gun doubled in price with the options, WOW. I think the gun above it is the gun KC miller used (in 410) to shoot the first 100 straight in skeet (supposedly) before switching to a VHE. Correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Murphy.

Dean Romig
08-08-2013, 03:41 PM
I think the gun above it is the gun KC miller used (in 410) to shoot the first 100 straight in skeet (supposedly) before switching to a VHE. Correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Murphy.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. I had a Skeet-er .410 with all of the skeet options shown, including the Miller single selective trigger, in the ad and the very first time I brought it to the skeet field I broke 24 straight.... the one I missed was station 1 high house, my very first shot. After that the little Skeet-er pretty well knew exactly what to do to the rest of them.

John Taddeo
08-08-2013, 04:13 PM
I just had this conversation the other day Dean, I will take various guns to the skeet range and consistently miss #1 high (amongst others). I think the varying DAH's I have make #1 high the hardest to adjust to IMO. The more drop, the more I tend to miss #1 it seems. Either that or I just can't shoot worth a damm.:banghead:

Russ Jackson
08-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Maybe you wont need that DH 20 damascus now??[/QUOTE]
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: ,I better ,It's almost due home with those refinished barrels and refinished wood if that Dog Gone Jerry just wasn't fishin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotf:

Eric Eis
08-08-2013, 04:37 PM
That wouldn't surprise me one bit. I had a Skeet-er .410 with all of the skeet options shown, including the Miller single selective trigger, in the ad and the very first time I brought it to the skeet field I broke 24 straight.... the one I missed was station 1 high house, my very first shot. After that the little Skeet-er pretty well knew exactly what to do to the rest of them.

Dean tell me again why did you sell that gun.....?:whistle:

Rich Anderson
08-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Dean tell me again why did you sell that gun.....?:whistle:

Lured (falsely) by the mountains of cash from a Main auction house:whistle:

Dean Romig
08-08-2013, 10:15 PM
I ain't goin' there boys.

John, when I miss station one high house I always shoot over it.

John Taddeo
08-08-2013, 10:40 PM
I do the same Dean, but we play by using the option on the first dropped target, and that sure seems frequent to 1high..Thank God grouse don't flush from a hemlock three feet behind and above (to often)

Dean Romig
08-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Where I hunt they do... but they don't fly straight away, rather, they fly away behind you putting any and all obstacles between themselves and the shooter.

EdSartell
08-09-2013, 06:36 AM
For the last couple of years my favorite grouse gun has been a Smith & Wesson SXS w/ 28" barrels ,chokes IC & Mod. At 6lbs it has done great near the Chain of Ponds in Maine. (18) birds for the season.....but who's counting ? :)

Dean Romig
08-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Ed, what gauge is your S&W?

EdSartell
08-09-2013, 08:39 AM
20 gauge I had the stock bent slightly to cast off and installed a leather recoil pad

Rich Anderson
08-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Ed, nice reference to Led Zepplin:bowdown:

Gary Carmichael Sr
08-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Dean, You might have the perfect grouse gun, 12g a one frame 28" barrels ball grip grade 3 You will know shortly, Gary

Dean Romig
08-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks Gary. According to the engraving it looks like a woodcock gun. :cool:

EdSartell
08-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Rich,

I knew someone would figure that out sooner or later..... its reference to the fall and up coming bird season and of course Led Zepplin. ;)

Rich Anderson
08-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Another Grouse gun is on it's way. The Big Brown Truck will deliver a grade 2 16ga hammer gun with a ball grip:bowdown:

Ed-I wonder how many of us are rock-n-roll fans. Zeplin along with the Stones are two of my favorites.

Dean Romig
08-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm in that group... my tastes run from the early fifties through more recent stuff, but my preference for recent rock is in the blues like Stevie Ray Vaughn and others. There were and are some very gifted artists in just about every musical genre though - like Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, Lyle Lovett, Keb Mo, Stevie Nicks, Jimi Hendrix, Emmy-Lou Harris... For me the list goes on and on.

Rich Anderson
08-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Keb Mo????????
IMHO the greatest gutiar player was Jimi Hendrix, then Eric Clapton

Gary Carmichael Sr
08-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Whoa, Lets not forget the "father" of the electric guitar, Les Paul, Got one of his solid bodies down in the basement, Gary

Dean Romig
08-12-2013, 10:21 PM
I still recognize a Les Paul & Mary Ford recording... unmistakable.

EdSartell
08-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Guys, if you enjoy Led Zepplin catch a show of Get The Led Out. They're a tribute Led Zepplin band. I've been to (6) shows in the last two years. They play studio versions of Zepplins songs. Absolutely fantastic. Check out their web site and play their demo.

Eric Eis
08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Keb Mo????????
IMHO the greatest gutiar player was Jimi Hendrix, then Eric Clapton

Other way around......:rolleyes:

Daryl Corona
08-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Other way around......:rolleyes:

I agree. Just listen to Claptons "Unplugged Album".:) The cut "Signe' really shows his talent.

Dean Romig
08-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Did Clapton keep any of his shotguns or did he auction all of them? He had quite a collection of Best English guns until a couple of years ago.

Mills Morrison
08-13-2013, 04:31 PM
I did not know that. Maybe he sold them to upgrade his collection to Parkers

Rich Anderson
08-13-2013, 06:35 PM
He kept the DHE 20 I sold to him....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

A lot of celebrities have sold off some guns recently not just Mr. Clapton. Steve Barnett had a couple of David McKay Brown round bodied 20's that belonged to Robert Redford. I doubt any of these gents needed the money it was just a matter of reducing the inventory, something I need to deal with also:whistle:

I wouldn't pay a premium for a gun belonging to either one of them:nono:

Ralph nannola
08-30-2013, 08:18 PM
i like my gun to be light, quick handling and be pointing in the place were the bird is about to fly to.Any gun that you can hit grouse with is your best grouse gun.

CraigThompson
08-30-2013, 11:48 PM
I personally think there are TWO perfect Parker grouse guns !

The first being the 16 gauge Parker William Harnden Foster talked about in some of his stories .

The second would be Burton Spillers little Parker 20 gauge he gave to Tap Tappley !

They are not perfect because of the way they may or may not fit a person but rather from the history they both carry within !

Now the best grouse killing gun I personally ever owned was a POS Browning Citori Upland Special 16 gauge. Thing had 24" piped and english stock and typically I kept it choked with sylinder and improved cylinder . Late season i went with cylinder and modified .

Now if I were of the inclanation to hike the Blue Ridge again and had a decent setter I have three guns I would consider suitable for Grouse !

1. Westley Richards boxlock 12 gauge english stocked light IC and a bit tight modified

2. AH Fox A Grade 16 gauge 26" IC/M

3. Parker GH 16 gauge damascus 27" cut gun thats now light IC and light IC

Well there's maybe a 4th gun that I've not gotten to know to well yet !

A Philadelphia Fox Sterlingworth 20 gauge that belonged to Robert Montgomery (father of Bewitched star Elizabeth Montgomery) , this one is 28" modified and full .

charlie cleveland
08-30-2013, 11:49 PM
i agree..the gun you can hit with gota be the best one.. charlie

Dean Romig
08-31-2013, 08:40 AM
I have a 16 ga. 0-frame hammer gun just like the one Foster wrote about and it is a great little grouse and woodcock gun.
Morris allowed me to shoot Spiller's 20 ga. at Pintail point and I shot my personal best SC score with it. It was like somebody better than I was directing my shots.

charlie cleveland
08-31-2013, 08:44 AM
dean thats probab;y true i like the idea anyway.. charlie

Rich Anderson
08-31-2013, 09:14 AM
In just a couple of weeks the perfect Grouse Guns will get to test their abilities. Gunner's Gun is up first (and will likely get the most field time) but the Parker line up is extensive. The Door Nock Parker a GH 0 frame Damascuss 16 will get it'd debut as will a GHE 16 damascuss that followed me home from the Southern. A little straight stocked DHE 20 with 26 inch bbls choked cyl and IC will get some time this fall as well. There are the 28's and the English guns as well. I hope there are enough Grouse for all these Grouse guns:whistle:

charlie cleveland
08-31-2013, 10:36 AM
looks like i have the same problem as you have with which gun to use hunting only differance i have no grouse..whoa on me... i listen very well when you fellas tell of the hunts... charlie

CraigThompson
08-31-2013, 01:43 PM
I have a 16 ga. 0-frame hammer gun just like the one Foster wrote about and it is a great little grouse and woodcock gun.
Morris allowed me to shoot Spiller's 20 ga. at Pintail point and I shot my personal best SC score with it. It was like somebody better than I was directing my shots.

I would enjoy shooting that one I think as well as GB Evan's Purdey 12 ! Or Dr. Norris's Purdey whoever you care to call it ! Incidentally where might that Purdy be now ?

Dean Romig
08-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Don't know for sure but the other one came close to the surface recently.

CraigThompson
08-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Don't know for sure but the other one came close to the surface recently.

What other one do you make reference ?

GBE's 12 gauge Sterlingworth or the AYA 28 he had in the latter years ?

Dean Romig
08-31-2013, 04:16 PM
The other Purdey owned by Dr. Norris.

Rich Anderson
08-31-2013, 06:31 PM
I might opt for a 12 in the Grouse coverts IF it was a Purdy. I would use some RST 2 inch shells.

Rick Losey
08-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Incidentally where might that Purdy be now ?

GBE's Purdey is in safe hands within the OH family, The shortened stock was extended with an excellent matched piece and last I saw it, it was in remarkable condition for its age and use.

The gun was one of two Purdeys and a British boxlock that Dr Norris owned, At the time of Dr. Norris death. GBE was allowed his choice of the three. He selected the two barrel Purdey set, which Dr Norris himself had received as a bequest from his shooting friend Lynford Biddle some years before

CraigThompson
08-31-2013, 11:23 PM
The other Purdey owned by Dr. Norris.

Norris had the two Purdey's and also a Holland I think . I can't remmember what the third gun was . I can see his book in my bookcase about 12 feet away and I'm to lazy to get up and get it :rolleyes:

CraigThompson
08-31-2013, 11:26 PM
GBE's Purdey is in safe hands within the OH family, The shortened stock was extended with an excellent matched piece and last I saw it, it was in remarkable condition for its age and use.

The gun was one of two Purdeys and a British boxlock that Dr Norris owned, At the time of Dr. Norris death. GBE was allowed his choice of the three. He selected the two barrel Purdey set, which Dr Norris himself had received as a bequest from his shooting friend Lynford Biddle some years before

So what happened to the little AYA 28 gauge GBE had ?

I cannot remmember whether he sold the 12 gauge Sterlingworth or still had it .

I've actually been contemplating selling off my GBE book accumulation since my Grouse days in the Blue Ridge are a thing of the past !

Rick Losey
09-01-2013, 08:23 PM
So what happened to the little AYA 28 gauge GBE had ?

I cannot remmember whether he sold the 12 gauge Sterlingworth or still had it .

I've actually been contemplating selling off my GBE book accumulation since my Grouse days in the Blue Ridge are a thing of the past !

GBE kept the Fox, I believe both it an the AYA went to friends.

Jim Partlow
09-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Ahh the perfect grouse gun, where do I begin. Perhaps a Win. Mod
12 in 16 or 20gauge, Ruger Red Label in 28g, maybe the beat up
Win. Mod24 12g with impcyl and mod chokes or my current favorite
Ithaca mod37 ultra featherlight 20g impcyl. 4-3/4 pounds of pure bliss.
I'm hoping to have my Parker G-grade 16g back from my gunsmith
In time for the grouse opener in Wis. Could be my new perfect grouse
Gun! But, all in all, when I'm in the woods in two weeks with Sami the
Lab it won't matter if I'm carrying a sling shot, I'll have a smile on my
Face! Jim P

Rich Anderson
09-02-2013, 08:31 AM
I took Gunner's Gun to the Sporting Clays course yesterday to get warmed up for the opener. There have been some new additions that I have been shooting and we haven't been out in a while so it was time.

Sept 15 Gunner and I will once again be in the thick stuff.

Rich Anderson
09-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I hope this one works out, DH 16 O frame 26 inch bbls choked IC/F:eek: Some spreaders in the left bbl (if needed:whistle:) will help.

Mills Morrison
09-12-2013, 10:16 AM
A new one Rich? That is nice

Rich Anderson
09-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Fed Ex just dropped it off....I need HELP:rotf:

Mills Morrison
09-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Trying to control my urges at the Southern this weekend. Going to be difficult, I am sure.

Dean Romig
09-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Very nice gun Rich. I'm sending you a PM.

Russ Jackson
09-12-2013, 11:35 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock: Beautiful Rich !

John Taddeo
09-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Wow!!! to that 16 Rich, sometimes the colors and wood just all come together and that is it.. Nice.