PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunting with Parker 1930

Fred Dunstan
04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm new to this group but not new to Parkers. Here is a photo of my grandfather about 1930 hunting turkeys on the Roanoke River in the fall with his 30" VH 12 and his Brittany turkey dog. The Brittany would find and flush a covey. They would build a "pig pen" blind and call the turkeys back. It was his favorite sport and was quite a hunter. The other photo is the same VH redone by LeFever/Giacomo in 1994. I treasure it.

charlie cleveland
04-07-2013, 02:20 PM
what a treasure you have got there...have you taken your grandpas gun on a turkey hunt yet if not theres still time...fine gun you have... nice picture of granddad and his dog... charlie

Fred Dunstan
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Yep...turkey hunted with it many times in my youth....have shot about everything we have to hunt around here including ducks. It's been put up in a safe place for a good while now. May bring it out again before the season is out this year.

We always thought that was his turkey call in his coat pocket. I've got one of his but don't think it is the same one. Made from a wing bone of a wild turkey and a cow horn.

Dean Romig
04-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Thank you for posting those pictures. It is great to have a family Parker to cherish and hunt with. That is a nice refinish and the case color of your gun may help to identify the case color of some of the refinished Parkers we see. It appears distinctive.