PDA

View Full Version : Turkey hunt

hugh rather
04-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Mississippi's season is several weeks old so I went after the turkeys this morning.Was foggy,about 45 degrees but turned sunny and 70 by midafternoon.Have had rain all week with a few short breaks;temps have been cool but no freezing weather.Went in by the James rifle implacements[confederate] and followed the field to the bottom.A lot of water had flowed through there creating numerous litter piles that had been thoroughly explored for food by something.Saw coon tracks,maybe armadillo and possum too.But no turkey;they usually use this spot.Went on up out of the bottom to the feeding fields on the ridge to park the 4-wheeler.On foot from here, carrying the 2 frame 32"12 that throws the wicked patterns. No response to calling.Went about on third mile to other side of this ridge to feeding field in the bottom there,tried waiting and calling but no response.Decided to go back south to the feeding field where 4-wheeler was parked.When rounded bend between fields there was a hen in the field above the beaver dam field where I was parked.Silently passed through this area and got wheeler and went north up this ridge through the ridge feeding fields to the hardwood ridges.Saw tracks going up the road[remember all tracks will be today's due to heavy rain last night.].Apparently they are using the field and woods edges,bugging probably in the warming temperatures in preparation for nesting.Stayed on the hardwood ridge about an hour but no responses.Got back on 4 wheeler and went down trail to east to the old house place field about 1/2 mile southeast of the ridges then back to the west up another long narrow field to the field north of where the hen was seen and there he was,a nice longbeard with a nice hen.Well ,I see why calling did not work.He wasn't worried about the 4 wheeler 20 yards away as long as it did not come between him and the hen.They ambled off by the small ridgetop pond and watched me pass by on my way out.It was about 2:30pm.We'll have to try it again in the morning.I think I have something in mind .

charlie cleveland
04-05-2013, 09:27 PM
what a good morning hunt.. your rite about it being cool this week...this evening i got pretty warm setting in blind by 6.00 pm put my coat back on...i hope you and that turkey meet tommorrow... charlie

hugh rather
04-05-2013, 11:13 PM
If his lady friend is through with him or his eye wanders maybe he can be called. I know where to set up near that pond and I'm going to be as stealthy as possible;will use a north approach.The 4-wheeler will be 3/4 mile away behind a high ridge.Good luck if you get to go.

Dean Romig
04-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Don't over-do the calling this late in the season. Just subtle clucks and putts.... He's probably heard all the fakes he can take by now and you may spook him away.