PDA

View Full Version : No ptarmigan this today

Richard Flanders
04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Saddled up and flew down to my favorite ptarmigan spot in the Alaska Range today. I figured I'd get down there before the snow got too wet and heavy. I succeeded in that but the snow was deep and still a lot of work to snowshoe in and there was very little bird sign from the air so I didn't get far from the plane and struck out on birds. Next time maybe.... it was still a glorious day down there.

Pics:
1. heading up the upper Wood River to my favorite spot
2. This was as far as I got in the deep soft snow
3. Heading back down the River
4. Flying over a band of caribou. You can see all their tracks and a line of caribou off the front of the wing

charlie cleveland
04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
richard those pictures you take are simply grand..i could look at them and never tire..your are our ambassador in alaska...your very blessed and im sure you know it...thanks charlie

Dean Romig
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
What was the temperature there today?

Do you always put that cowl blanket in winter on or just on really cold days?

Great pictures Richard!

Richard Flanders
04-02-2013, 11:34 PM
It was a toasty 20deg down there so I could have done without the engine cover but it's much better to keep the engine warm. If it's really cold, like -40F I'll put a space blanket under the engine cover and if I have room to take it along, a packing blanket over it. If I'm somewhere remote for an over night I drain the oil into metal cans and heat it up on the wood stove before starting.

charlie cleveland
04-03-2013, 11:20 AM
never thought about all the things you have to do to a plane to keep it flying in artic temperatures...how long does it take to drain and reheat the oil on average. living andsurviving in the artic region is not for sissy s....ha.... charlie

Richard Flanders
04-03-2013, 12:06 PM
The oil gets drained hot the night before so only takes a few minutes and it heats up pretty quickly on a hot wood stove. I like to heat it to about 200deg, to where I can only barely keep my hands on the sides of the cans for more than 5 seconds or so. Then you run out and quickly pour it all in and hand prop the engine at least 25 times to get the oil system primed, then prime the gas and hand prop to start - the starter battery is useless in extreme cold. Works very well. It's all pretty old school but these engines were designed in the 40's and have changed very little if at all. My engine was made in about 1965 and was originally on a CIA "Air America" Super Cub used in Laos and Cambodia when 'we weren't in Laos and Cambodia'.....

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
04-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Richard: I had a friend that flew in those times and he hauled what they called hard rice(weapons and ammo) for Air America. I really like your Alaska pictures which bring back a lot of memories.Thomas

Richard Flanders
04-05-2013, 01:33 AM
I bought the engine from a pilot who was flying C-46's there when the plane was bent. He asked and they told him he could do whatever he wanted with the plane parts so he shipped the engine home to California in a mahogany box and stored it until I bought it in 1997. He flew helicopter on projects for me for several years.

Jack Cronkhite
04-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the pics Richard. I'm feeling puffed out just looking at your snowshoe tracks. I've been hoping for a reprieve but it is snowing again today. No complaints though - nothing worse than a sun burn on a sandy beach in a warm clime when you could be wearing thermals and an arctic parka instead. Cheers, Jack