PDA

View Full Version : Best place to live in U.S. for bird hunting

hugh rather
03-27-2013, 06:50 PM
O.k. people ,what is the best place to live in the U.S. for bird hunting with maybe duck hunting nearby?

Harold Lee Pickens
03-27-2013, 09:03 PM
I'd move to the western UP in a heart beat. Western Montana wher one may get into many different upland species and waterfowl would also get serious consideration.

Rich Anderson
03-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Montanna, Kansas, The Dakotas. These pretty much suck weather wise in the winter. I'm with Harold in chooseing the Upper Pennisula of Michigan but once winter hit it would be Georgia Quail or the south west in Arizona perhaps New Mexico.

David Dwyer
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
South Carolina is pretty fine. Good ducks, great doves, fair quail, fantastic turkey , good snipe and throw in a few alligators!
David

Mark Ouellette
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
David,

What size shot do you use for those flying alligators? Maybe 000 Buckshot? :rotf:

Mark

David Dwyer
03-28-2013, 09:47 AM
.243 or 12 ga 00

Bruce Day
03-28-2013, 11:08 AM
O.k. people ,what is the best place to live in the U.S. for bird hunting with maybe duck hunting nearby?

If those are the sole criteria, look at Glen Elder or Downs, Kansas. Central and western Kansas have an agreeable, dry, climate with lots of sunny days.

Craig Larter
03-28-2013, 06:02 PM
You guys are all going to call me nuts but western NY is a great place for a bird hunter. Tons of public land for grouse in the southern tier and tug hill----fantastic waterfowl hunting that has everything--ducks, geese and now snows. Within a days drive of MI, Maine, Pa and Ontario. Let's not talk about the taxes and gun control legislation---but the finger lakes region has everything for the bird hunter, fisherman and wineaholic!

Harold Lee Pickens
03-28-2013, 08:04 PM
craig,
I have been hearing good things about western New York and traveled alot thru there when my son was playing college tennis in the Atlantic -10. Have you ever thought about seceding from NYC and starting your own state- we did that in West Virginia.

Craig Larter
03-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Harold: Back in colonial times the border between NY and PA was the 42nd parallel---most of current western NY was part of PA----I would be happy if PA reclaimed us. The bird species that has really declined in the last 50 years is the ringed neck pheasant. Before 1970 our pheasant hunting was excellent, modern farming changed the landscape and predators cleaned up. But today we have 1/2 million snows and turkeys that were non-existent in 1970---so not so bad but I do travel to North Dakota to get my fill of pheasant hunting. Life is good in our modern world---we are able to travel with ease to many great hunting grounds---thank God we live in the USA.

hugh rather
03-29-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure you will like those snows when they start outcompeting your ducks.Hunt the snows all you can.These are some great answers,some unexpected.When I was young I would have said north Mississippi with our ducks, Canada geese,doves and the midday bird ,quail[after early day ducks or deer hunting].Alas, the bobwhite has fallen on very hard times ,haven't hunted them here in twenty years, only token populations and preserve hunting remain.

Harold Lee Pickens
03-30-2013, 07:38 AM
When I was about to graduate from optometry school in 1983 at Ohio State, my requirements were that where ever I went, there had to be good grouse hunting and walleye fishing. I obtained licenses in Wisconsin and Michigan as well as my home state of Ohio. I actually had great job offers at the Marshfield c linic in Park Falls, Wis. and in Escanaba in the UP. I ended up 10 miles from home, close to family and my ailing mother.
Grouse hunting in eastern Ohio was as good as it gets back then. 30 flushes per day were not uncommon, and there was lots of territory to hunt. Shooting 50 birds/year was not difficult if you had good dogs--and I did. Started going to the UP in 1986, and the hunting was not any better than home, justa whole lot easier--no hills and no thorns on everything that grows--what they call thorns in the UP just tickles.
Round 2000, the grouse population started to nosedive and continues to worsen. In 2009, I self imposed a moratrium on shooting grouse--I still hunted, but wouldnt shoot. 4 flushes a day are about it now.
The entire southern Appalachian grouse pop. is suffering, but the northen Appalachian regions are stll ok. The boundary seems to be I-80 in Pa. Above that, good grouse hunting still exists and below you are just exercising your dogs.
Family is all gone from this area now, as are all the jobs and industry. Steel mills are being cut up for scrap metal. It is bleak here. I would move after I reitire in a couple of years, but my wifes family is here and my son lives in Pittsburg( less than an hour from Wheeling). I will probably start to make severl serious bird hunting trips/ year. As for now , the high point of the year continues to be the 2 weeks spent in the UP each year.
So, if you live in an area with good bird hunting, you are lucky and I hope to hell it continues.
Have guns/dogs will travel.
Harold

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
03-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Westward Ho to Idaho. It has some great bird hunting and big and small game. About the best weather you could ask for and great gun loving people. Thomas

Mills Morrison
03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
It is kind of like asking what gun is good for all kinds of hunting. Just like different guns are suited for different kinds of hunting/shooting, so different parts of the country are good for different kinds of game. That keeps things interesting

Rick Losey
03-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Have you ever thought about seceding from NYC and starting your own state- we did that in West Virginia.

Harold

A bill to do that gets proposed very few years, in fact one was submitted shortly after the so called "SAFE"* act was passed it will never happen unless only upstate gets to vote on it.

but you're right. Western NY and the Finger Lakes is otherwise a great area for an outdoors man.

*State's Anti Firearms Elitists"

Richard Flanders
04-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Seceding from NYC is a great idea. Then all you'd need is a 2-3 mile wide moat with no bridges and inhabited with thousands of starving Australian salt water crocs.... maybe then you get some peace and freedom....! Shock collars on every state politician might help also. Every voting citizen gets a controller....

My favorite bird hunting state is Montana.

Michael Murphy
04-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I understand the suggestions from many forum members regarding such places as New York, Michigan, Montana, etc. However, I'm hung up on the first part of the inquiry; "best place to live in the U..S.".... Most of the places mentioned are colder than a tax collector's heart from December to March. I'd be inclined towards the suggestion of South Carolina or some other warmer locale with a gun & hunting friendly environment, plenty of upland and waterfowl hunting along with Turkey, lower taxes, good weather year round and good fishing as a bonus. What you give up is hunting for ruffed grouse within a short drive. Small price to pay for all of the other benefits.

charlie cleveland
04-07-2013, 02:16 PM
good answer mike very well thought out... charlie

Rich Anderson
04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
What you give up is hunting for ruffed grouse within a short drive. Small price to pay for all of the other benefits.[/QUOTE]

Not if your a Grouse hunter:nono: I'd be hard pressed to give up all Michigan has to offer even winter as you can always travel down south and hunt Quail or go west for Quail and other birds. The Carolina's or any other southern state or in the Southwest shuch as AZ, NM,TX in the summer no way:nono:

Michael Murphy
04-07-2013, 07:15 PM
C.O.B., You seem willing to take a long trip for quail and other birds, likewise one can take a trip up north for Ruffed Grouse; all without putting up with Michigan's winters, politicians and taxes. Each to their own. Call me in January. :)

Mark Ouellette
04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Hey C.O.B.,

Michael may have a point. There is snow forecast for later this week in Michigan. :cuss:

Mark

Rich Anderson
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
I hunt Grouse every weekend of the season all most. Add in Pheasant and Woodcock and Daisy is a busy girl and the Parkers get afield a plenty. The fun starts 9/15 and briefly stops for deer season (rifle) 11/15-30th then Grouse is back open until Jan 1 and preserve birds close next week. Not to say I wouldn't ming leaving in Jan/Feb to go hunting elsewhere but I would rather live here and hunt a week or so elsewhere in the winter than be somewhere else. Beside I love rabbit hunting and the sound of the Beagles. I don't ice fish however:nono:

Marc no snow today but there was a very little bit yesterday. Don't worry it will snow at Pauls shoot in May!

Mike just where is this side of Hell your on? Perhaps some redemption is in order you are therefor invited to challenge Grouse in Michigans Upper Pennisula :)

Michael Murphy
04-07-2013, 08:45 PM
C.O.B.,
Right now I'm in South Carolina (unfortunately, recovering from a seriously broken leg). Did a lot of Grouse hunting in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Canada. Mixed that in with some Duck & Goose shooting. Hunted Pheasants every weekend and often midweek in the season. Now go to South Dakota each fall. Quail hunting down here and in Jawja. Best quail hunting I ever encountered was in Texas. 20 coveys in the first morning.
Haven't done any Dove shooting down here, but did a lot when I lived in Southern California.

Rich Anderson
04-07-2013, 08:58 PM
I wish you a speedy recovery on the leg and hope it heals 100% so you can chase birds this fall. It's only 5mos to the Grouse opener here. It will be here in a blink of an eye.

Michael Murphy
04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. Going to miss the Southern Side x Side for the first time in many years, but working towards being ship shape for hunting seasons.