PDA

View Full Version : Old GH on a new Rabbit!

Mark Ouellette
03-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Michigan is having a long winter this year with March 23 being just above freezing with traces of snow remaining. At Hausmann’s Hidden Hollow last summer I acquired a tight but troubled GH 12 with a couple deep dents in the Damascus barrels next to the top rib. This old Parker had sat in my safe for far too long! Today I pulled out my Hosford Dent Remover Tool and carefully removed what were 1/8” depressions in those barrels. I can’t say enough good about Jon Hosford’s gunsmithing tools!

With this #2 frame, 30” barreled Parker, choked strangling .042” in each barrel, my trusty old friend Radar and I took our “new” shotgun for a walk. Once outside I stuffed factory “promotional” loads in the thick old Damascus barrels. After 20 or so minutes we were rounding the border of a 5 acre field and approaching home once again. I was lollygagging with the Parker grasped in my non-shooting hand and honestly not really hunting. Whoosh went a streak of brown and white just inside the edge of the brush! Radar saw something and smelled an ever elusive quarry for a 95 pound Chesador, Rabbit! We were a couple of Elmer Fudd’s caught off guard.

Quickly we traversed forward for 10 or so yards when I saw ol’ long ears streak further into the briers. I waved my left arm toward the thicket and commanded, “Radar!” Into the brush he went! Now Radar is not a beagle by a long shot. He picked up the strongest scent which had him backtracking where bunny had been. I then crouched down to peer through the thick stuff and there was our prey. Whoosh again old rabbit went but this time he was followed but an once and an eighth of number 7 ½’s! I must have shot low for the rabbit jumped a foot into the air but continued to move away from danger. Forward I moved and then spied tomorrow’s dinner. Boom beckoned Sir Parker. Dead Rabbit. Now, where the heck is my retriever. “Raaa-Dar” I called and my faithful friend was once again at my side. “Fetch, Raaabbit” I commanded and Radar had the furry-pop in his mouth as we walked the short distance home.

Time spent with and old friend and an older new gun. It doesn't get much better than this on a late March afternoon…

Eldon Goddard
03-23-2013, 11:10 PM
How hard is it to remove those dents? 1/8'' seems like a real deep one. I am going to buy one of those hosfords. They seem like a good deal and I have alot of dents that need removing.

Mark Ouellette
03-24-2013, 05:01 AM
Eldon,

Removing dents using the Hosford tool is easy. Removing them perfectly so there is no ripple in the bore or marks on the outside is a little harder. I am able to remove the average dent so the there is no evidence that it was ever there. For those deep dents I still have some wave work to do. Overall it is easy, it just takes time.

Mark

chris dawe
03-24-2013, 06:14 AM
Mark I noticed the grip shape on your gun and its very similar to an original one I just copied and restocked,it seems in my mind to be an elongated and more open version of a PG ,when I first came across that one it was the first one I had seen (#157474) it fits me so well I use the shape on most of my personal re-stocks....I wonder how many different grip shapes did Parker Bros use ?

Mark Ouellette
03-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Chris,

The subject GH is in the 122,000 serial number range. It does have an elongated grip cap which is about 1/2" longer than it is wide. How many grip cap variations there are is a level of Parker Gun knowledge far beyond what I know. If I were a stocker, I would however certainly know!

Mark

charlie cleveland
03-24-2013, 01:06 PM
what a good hunt you had there..enjoying a hunt or outing with your best pal and a old parker is what we live for...sounds to me like you have a pretty good beagle there and the only retreving beagle i know of.... thanks charlie

Rich Anderson
03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Thats one strange looking Beagle:eek: Does he bark when on the scent:rotf:

Mark Ouellette
03-25-2013, 09:03 AM
No but he does retrieve!

Rich Anderson
03-25-2013, 09:32 AM
That's just wrong on so many levels:whistle:

Bill Murphy
03-27-2013, 12:19 PM
If you think a beagle can bark, you should hear the sound of my Wirehair below a treed cock pheasant.

chris dawe
03-27-2013, 01:39 PM
If you think a beagle can bark, you should hear the sound of my Wirehair below a treed cock pheasant.

Bill ,will your pup run /bark on rabbits too ?...my DD Heiko will,all the same I usually don't shoot unless I'm looking for a meal.they get him really excited and he might get the wrong idea

Rich Anderson
03-27-2013, 03:16 PM
I have a friend with a Brittany who will bark treed on Grouse.