Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Recently picked up VH
Unread 04-23-2023, 06:45 PM   #1
WilliamGuest
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Recently picked up VH

Hey all, been away for a good while, however, just renewed my membership earlier this evening. Picked up a 1904 VH 16 gauge a week or so ago for a self birthday gift! 1 frame. 28” barrels choked full and improved modified. Barrels have been reblued at some point recently as they don’t show any bluing wear outside, bores are great with some very minor shallow pitting toward the middle of the bores. They don’t appear to be cut by my eyes anyway, 2 1/2” chambers, they chime nicely. trigger guard has been reblued, as well as the forend metal, minus the forend latch, which has just been cleaned/polished and left white. Forend wood appears to be original minus a fairly new finish applied. Receiver is polished and left in the white. Most screws are buggered to some extent with the best screws being the forward two on the floor plate. Looks to have original pistol grip cap and buttplate, but restocked at some point. Action seems to be on face, with just some slight up or down movement, probably being bolt wear. The lump/bite? does have the flat style wear plate installed and looks to have been worked at some time as its polished up on contact areas. Lever is just slightly to the left. The only thing i’ve done so far is fix a problem i come across upon the first cocking of the gun.

It was hard to cock, especially at the very last moment of setting the hammers. Receiver was taken off stock, sprayed down, blown out, dirt and grime cleaned up thinking that was the issue. Assembled, still the “rough” cracking sound upon cocking. Broke down again, scoured the forum for ideas, checked parts that cause other issues surrounding closing and opening or cock/no cocking. Assembled and still, cracking sound when cocking hammers. They cocked everytime, however the sound was terrible and felt like something was binding or going to break eventually. I decided to take a look at the barrel cocking hook? It was polished and just didnt look factory. After removing it from the barrels and comparing it to another on one of my other parkers, bingo! It was indeed a shop/homemade hook and though, very similar and “close” to factory, it wasn’t exact. I had a spare hook from a “garbage” set of poorly pitted barrels which I installed flawlessly without any need for fitting or adjustment. Reassembled everything, and with the now inital cocking of the gun using the new hook, the sweet sound of smooth crisp hammers cocking as they should. What a relief! Goes to show, sometimes stuff is easily overlooked and if the gun has been worked before, check everything out if a problem arises.

Looks like it’s going to be a good little shooter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8017.jpg (417.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8043.jpg (500.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8042.jpg (497.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8041.jpg (510.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8025.jpg (477.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8032.jpg (475.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8031.jpg (490.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8021.jpg (423.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8030.jpg (478.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8026.jpg (480.9 KB, 15 views)
WilliamGuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2023, 06:59 PM   #2
Mark Forabosco
PGCA Member

Member Info

Looks lovely--by chance did you purchase that from Gun dealer NB? Just wondering because they had a nice 16 Parker VH for sale at a very good price and I passed on it because I just purchased one this past October. Again what a lovely gun should be a real winner for grouse!
Mark Forabosco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Forabosco For Your Post:
Unread 04-23-2023, 07:10 PM   #3
WilliamGuest
Forum Associate

Member Info

I did actually, was only up a couple days so I jumped on it. Don’t see many 16’s or 20’s come up for sale around here all too often.
Unread 04-24-2023, 07:12 AM   #4
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,925 Times in 2,047 Posts

Nice gun William, I own it's twin--a 1 frame 28" 16. Bought mine in 1987 and did have it opened up to IC/IC as the only 16 ga reamer a gunsmith had was an IC reamer. It accounted for hundreds of grouse and pheasant.
Unread 04-24-2023, 08:23 AM   #5
WilliamGuest
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks! Yes i’ll probably have it opened up at some point down the road. Bit of work here and there to make it my own.
Unread 04-24-2023, 08:38 AM   #6
Buddy Harrison
PGCA Member

Member Info

William, Very nice pick-up. Whoever did the cleanup work did a nice job. You now have a real treasure to enjoy.
Buddy Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddy Harrison For Your Post:
Unread 04-24-2023, 09:06 AM   #7
Joe from MO
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,123 Times in 422 Posts

Very nice, would love to stumble across a nice 16ga VH like that. Congrats!
Unread 04-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #8
Mark Forabosco
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamGuest View Post
I did actually, was only up a couple days so I jumped on it. Don’t see many 16’s or 20’s come up for sale around here all too often.
--LOL -I saw that gun and I thought "what a great price" and really really wanted to buy it--but as I said I picked one up earlier this year--but nowhere near that price--What a deal! Congrats! I opened up the chambers on mine as well just because it is impossible to find 2.5 inch shells in Ontario---Oskar Kobb near your area did the colour case hardening for me--it came out great---You have a dandy Parker--Enjoy your upcoming season
Mark
Mark Forabosco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Forabosco For Your Post:
Unread 04-24-2023, 01:03 PM   #9
WilliamGuest
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Forabosco View Post
--LOL -I saw that gun and I thought "what a great price" and really really wanted to buy it--but as I said I picked one up earlier this year--but nowhere near that price--What a deal! Congrats! I opened up the chambers on mine as well just because it is impossible to find 2.5 inch shells in Ontario---Oskar Kobb near your area did the colour case hardening for me--it came out great---You have a dandy Parker--Enjoy your upcoming season
Mark
Yes, I thought it was a decent deal as well! I have almost a full flat of 2 1/2” 16’s here, so i’ll be good for a little bit! I have a G grade 16 on an 0 frame that I had restored, and Oskar Kobb did the colours on that as well. Will probably get this one done at a later time for sure… the bright high polished look doesn’t do any favours imo lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamGuest For Your Post:
Unread 04-24-2023, 03:21 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

nice gun....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: