Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Old parker DH damscus- whats it worth
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Old parker DH damscus- whats it worth

I love the look of damscus barrels. I always wanted to try my hand at restoring a gun. So I've run across a parker DH 12ga that dates from 1890 I haven't had a chance to see he gun. I've seen pictures and its very very rough. Its hard to get any details from the seller. I think the barrels have a couple dents. Original wood is there and looks OK, action is pitted a bit but there is basically no finish left. So lets say this is the case- barrels are no good, maybe mechanically its OK but the finish on the receiver will never get perfect. I figure this would be a good gun to try to learn how to do some restoration on. Maybe at some point fit another set of barrels on it. If I screw it up- I'm not real upset.

What would you parker experts pay for a gun like I've described?
Jeff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Harry Reed
PGCA Member

Member Info

My first thought on the barrels is don't be so sure they cannot be restored. I thought the same thing on my C grade Bernard barrels. After having some knowledgeble folks look at them, I am now shooting this 1893 Parker. My advise is to get a research letter. After that you will have an idea of how this Parker shipped from the factory. Then, consideration should be given to re-using as many of the components original to the Parker as possible. When you are finished you will still maintain as much of this Parker's originality as possible and that is very important. IMHO.

As for price, if in the condition you describe with the work needed I would try to get in it under $1,000.
Harryreed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harryreed For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Without seeing the gun, it is difficult to tell how much skill it would take to bring it back.

However, I would not recommend that a novice "restorer" start with a DH, no matter how tatty it might appear at first. There are plenty of abused Trojans and VH guns out there to "learn on."

I do, however, hope you get the gun and help it come back to life.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I paid 400 for a VH in that condition and for the same reason. Don't spend more than you can afford to loose is my advice. Potential re-sale is not likely. It is a good learning experience.

Bill
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,550 Times in 4,623 Posts

The biggest factors are how much you will pay versus how much work it will need.

A DH is surely not the first gun to try your hand at workin on. Depending on what that work may be.
What type of work would you like to try and do yourself?
Might be better to aquire a lower grade gun that is border line parts to try major restoration efforts on first.

Odds are, the barrels will be good. I do not mean good enough to restore, but might be good enough to use as is. Or there may be other issues with them that make cosmetic refinishing an illogical choice.
Pitting on the frame can be an issue to consider too. If it is beyond very light, the frame will have to be annealed, pitting polished out and engraving taken back up. To be right that is.

If the purchase price is right, buy the gun and get it evaluated fully to see if it is a good candidate for restoration. Then go from there.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

Condition is everything. The fact that the gun is a D Grade doesn't add to its value if he receiver is pitted and worn. $1000 could buy you a nicer P or G.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

John Harvard has a very nice restored GH damascuss 12ga listed in the for sale section. He has reduced the price to below $2K. That should give you an idea of value vs cost.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well I bought the gun. I think my description was accurate other than the receiver actually looks pretty good. No pitting. It's a #1 frame and I think the barrels are probably toast. The dent looks like a repair was attempted using god knows what and there is a small horizontal crack about 10" from the muzzle end. Probably 1\4 " long. It's too bad because other than that that the barrels look pretty good. Very nice black/white Damascus pattern and bores look pretty good. I also bought a GH #2 frame from him. Probably would clean up pretty well. I'm in under $1k for both guns. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Definitely thinking of sending them to someone for evaluation.
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Please post some pictures,

maybe parts sales from the D can defray the cost of any work need on the G

Is the G 2 frame also a 12? how long are the barrels? and what are they like?
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

The DH WOOD is also not original - it's a restock that was probably a nice peice of wood, but really poorly done and maybe not salvageable. Original Skelton butt plate is there and I did get the original one which is a wreck.

The GH is a 12 and a damascus. Can still we the pattern fairly well but they have that brownish patina.

I don't know that I want to make the DH a parts gun. The thing is beautiful. I. see why a couple of you have said maybe an amateur restoration may not be the best thing to do. I may be going down a very dangerous path here- one where I'll
Spend lots of money.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance, but I have a terrible time getting good detailed gun pictures for some reason.