Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   English gun makers - reputations (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4572)

Milton Starr 06-28-2011 09:20 PM

Well the purdy I got to play with on the plantation didn't look like it was a 80k gun. It didn't.make.me drool.

Oh yell why leave.out cogswell&harrison they make custom guns I mean true custom not.custom "features ". Also of those you listed who is.still in business. I wish I could find someone to make a sxs.8 ga under 15k . Greener said a sxs 8 would run 300,000$ and a wouldn't be done till 2019 . Yeah I laughed hard to. I like the shotguns I seen on c&h website though.

Francis Morin 06-28-2011 10:29 PM

Time for a good Cuban stogie and a whiskey-neat

because a Churchill would be my first choice of all the "Best" London guns- The family was involved in shooting- live birds, clays, game on the wing- I also like the Churchill method of leading a crossing bird- at least the way I have understood it- you move ahead of the bird's head and with the muzzles moving, shoot- And McIntosh in his Shotgunning books details the 16 yard precise targeting for proper gun fit- I have handled two Churchill Premiere sidelock 12 bores- both the XXV series- and with the exception that I'd prefer 28" barrels over the 25" XXV, straight grip, small forearm, solid red Silvers pad- heck, as long as we're dreaming here- make it a matched pair- 2.75" chambers proofed for 1 & 1/8 oz. game/target loads- and choked 1/4 right barrel and 1/2 choke in the left- file cut rib--:bigbye::bigbye:

Milton Starr 06-29-2011 12:33 PM

You know the.straight grip is something else. I've seen people shooting with regular pistol grip and maybe have a 20-30% hit ratio and switch over the the.english grip and have a 60-70% hit ratio. Me personally like the prince of wales grip.

Francis Morin 06-29-2011 01:01 PM

I agree, Milt- at least with two triggered guns

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton Starr (Post 45525)
You know the.straight grip is something else. I've seen people shooting with regular pistol grip and maybe have a 20-30% hit ratio and switch over the the.english grip and have a 60-70% hit ratio. Me personally like the prince of wales grip.

--My pre-1913 12 gauge L.C. Smiths have capped pistol grips, but are radiused more like a POW grip- than say a pistol grip on a 1955 era M21 with single trigger- The 1911 Ithaca Grade 1 20 I now have has a capped pg, but again, is a shallow radius- which I like- ditto the pre-1935 stock design on the 1932 mfg. M12 20 gauge my Dad gave me when I turned 11--

Now centerfire BA rifles- at least the Mauser98-1903-M-54 and later M7O Winchesters- with one trigger, I like the pre-WW2 design as to grip radius- Never have owned a Mannlicher with double set triggers, so I can't speak to that issue--:bigbye::bigbye:

Rich Anderson 06-29-2011 07:32 PM

I much prefer the straight grip, I think it's faster when your mounting the gun. You see very few English guns with a pistol grip stock.

Milton Starr 06-29-2011 09:40 PM

Well I think if its a.american ordering the.gun from say a maker.like.purdey it will probably have.a pistol grip. If the gun is being ordered for a brit then it will probably.have a straight grip. Never shot a gun with a straight stock .

Rich Anderson 06-29-2011 10:10 PM

The majority of my Parkers are straight grip guns. once you use one you won't want a PG gun again.

Milton Starr 06-29-2011 10:16 PM

I like.the way.the.straight stock looks.on.the. smaller gauges.like the 16 and 28 but on the.big bores I like.the way the.pistol grip looks