PDA

View Full Version : Am I correct that #1 12ga GH barrels

will evans
02-15-2013, 03:59 PM
with an original forend are worth at least $300 if in pretty good shape? These have two small dings, but are allegedly free of rust.

I don't need these barrels. If I purchase them, what are the odds I will be able to trade them for a set of #2 VH barrels?

Tom Carter
02-15-2013, 04:27 PM
If no pits or rust and only minor dings on the GH barrels and at least 28 inches long I will trade you a set of # 2 VH 12 gauge barrels. Cheers, Tom

Steve Huffman
02-15-2013, 05:10 PM
I did a dumb thing oh well ! You may be able to sell them and buy a set !

paul stafford jr
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
are the gh barrels damascus. please say yes.

Steve Huffman
02-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Paul , Thats kinda what I was asking then went back and seen where its posted and assumed Damascus but one doesnt know for sure. I love that " Please say yes"

will evans
02-16-2013, 10:25 AM
These are 30" damascus barrels. I'll be having a look at them in person early next week. I will definitely buy them unless in bad shape.

will evans
02-16-2013, 10:37 AM
The next question is - how much pitting is too much pitting in damascus barrels? The gun is #57899. At that age, it's hard to imagine there won't be at least a little pitting in the bores, right? Kind of a stupid question. I know the routine about measuring, measuring, and measuring. I don't have the tools to measure them, and will have to take a chance on wall thickness. I've seen a lot of pitted bores and think I know good from bad, but my level of acceptance might be far beyond what anyone else will accept.

Mark Ouellette
02-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Will,

It is the minimum barrel wall thickness (MBWT) that is key rather than the depth of pitting. The trick is to accurately measure from the deepest spot of the pit(s) to the exterior barrel wall. Using a Hosford Barrel Wall Thickness Gauge and an endoscope one can make a good estimate of the MBWT by first measuring with the Hosford gauge detent in the deepest part of the pit AND also using an endoscope to look to learn if the shape of the pit allows the detent to reach the deepest spot of the pit. Obviously this is easier said than done! Sometimes one can only estimate.

The British proof houses ream or hone the barrels' bores until all of the pitting is removed and then measure MBWT before firing for reproof.

Mark

CL Scott
02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
I am looking for 12 ga #1 Damascus barrels uncut (with fore end would be good) Any thoughts? What is a reasonable price? Thanks, cl scott

Brian Dudley
02-16-2013, 10:12 PM
To answer the original question, that $300 price tag or higher would be what one would expect to pay for a No. 1 frame set with a matching forend in good condition.

will evans
02-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Pictures of these barrels have been posted on the swap forum for anyone wanting to take a look.

scott hayes
03-22-2013, 02:07 PM
i am trying to identify a parker hammered damascus 12 ga. db.
i just aquired.i looked above the serial# on the waterboard but i
can`t make out the #. serial# is 38237 any suggestions?????