PDA

View Full Version : Headin' North..or East Nor' east in Destry's case...

Don Kaas
09-21-2009, 02:30 PM
On Sunday, Kevin "0frame" McCormack, Russell Bickel, Destry and I will be heading north to Quebec to make our annual week long pilgramage to Lac St. Pierre and the vast marshes that rest on the northern shore at this wide spot in the mighty St. Lawrence. This area has long been a famous spot for waterfowlers. Raymond Camp in his wonderful book, "Duck Boats and Blinds" recounts his visits here to what must have been a more primitive post WWII Quebec. Just a couple of hours from Montreal and a mere 8 hour drive from my home, it offers a seemingly exotic foriegn venue without having to pack for the plane. For a full working week we have a real duck camp. And, there are ducks, plenty of ducks...A late September hunt will show you just about any North American puddle duck though greenwings, mallards and a local blackie or two make up the usual bag. We hunt on a 1000 acres adjacent to a mature DU impoundment and other than one or two hunters that may come up for the day from Montreal we usually have the place to ourselves. This year, Parkers will again have a premier role as the guns of choice. Destry will be taking his new "dream gun" a 34" #3 frame 12g DHE, his D grade 10g toplever as well as his go to #2 frame DHE. Russell will be packing a 30" 20g DHE 0 frame and a 32" DH plus likely a M21. I will have a (new to me) straight grip, single trigger 32" Ithaca NID 10g Magnum as Destry found me a pile of Federal 1 3/4oz of #6 loads in Tungsten Polymer to go with it (you see in waterfowling size does matter)and a 32" #1 frame VHE 16 ga with 1 1/8oz Bismuth loads and a 30" #1 frame 12g D grade toplever with 2 1/2" 1 1/8oz Kent T-Ms. We'll have to see what Kevin brings to the party but he has been known to frequent the blinds with either an A-5 or early M21...let's hope he sees the Meriden lamp burning:bigbye:

Destry L. Hoffard
09-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Taking a wild guess, I'll bet Kevin shows up with over and unders. *faints*

I'm hunting the opening day in Ontario on Saturday, stopping over in London for a few hours to visit a girl I know, then on our little set of rooms there on the river bank.

Don't wait up, I'll be there before daylight.

Destry

Don Kaas
09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Don't worry...we won't wait up but if you are not there for reveille you will have to deal with Sgt. Pogo of the French Foreign Legion. It will not be pleasant , "Dez"...

Destry L. Hoffard
09-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Have you ever known me to miss a day of shooting over visiting a woman? I'll be there!

DLH

Don Kaas
09-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Ahhh! your theme song "Bonin' My Way to the Blind"...you do better than Derek Jeter, actually it's remarkable...but, thankfully your greatest talent is uncovering vast amounts of obsolete non-toxic ammunition...

Destry L. Hoffard
09-23-2009, 05:01 PM
The Swamp Angel was recieved in good shape this afternoon via the US Mail. Mr. Bickel did a fine job with the Silvers pad, looks just like one put on at Parker Bros.

Now if I can just hit something with the ol' girl I'll really be happy.

Destry

Dave Suponski
09-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Good gunnin to you gentlemen....Destry are ya using any of those loads I sent ya?

Destry L. Hoffard
09-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Those are long gone Dave. *wink*

Destry

Dave Suponski
09-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Atta Boy!:bowdown:How did they work for ya?

Destry L. Hoffard
09-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Poison, pure poison.......

DLH

Andrew Thompson
09-25-2009, 08:11 PM
With you guys its all about the birds, the dogs, the guns, and for us single men, the women. I am finally among my people!!!

Kurt Densmore
09-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Oh Destry .........too bad this one isn't ready to go, I might let you borrow it...:rolleyes:

5 frame 10 with 0 frame 16 for size comparison...It still needs a DHBP installed, the extractor finished up and some checking and it will be ready get muddy.

The shotshell in the trigger guard is one of the nickle plated 3" 12ga that I was telling you about.

Kurt

Destry L. Hoffard
10-03-2009, 04:10 AM
We have returned, it was a pleasant week to say the least. Don will probably post a full report before I get out of bed. Was a long tough drive back, poured rain the whole way and I'm beat. All I have to say (for now) is that he and I are now even on Quebec mergansers.

Destry