PDA

View Full Version : A "Victor"ious Hunt

Jack Cronkhite
05-13-2011, 05:40 PM
One of the few days I was able to hunt last fall, I was kicking through some dead grass and weeds hoping there might be an errant rooster in the area. Dogs weren't interested but I do my own thing as well as tag along with the canines. I got a surprise, but not a bird. I uncovered a rusted metal box. When I turned it over, this is what I saw. I tossed it in the trunk because the chrome was still shiny. Yesterday I finally researched this and found out it is a car radio from 1938. Gotta love Google Found it HERE (http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_8m1.html#b)
Now what to do with it? Maybe build a 1938 Plymouth around it - just gotta find some parts.
Cheers,
Jack

Dean Romig
05-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Does it have Dolby? I see there's no tuner... must have had one of those "remote" thingy's to change the station.

Brent Francis
05-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Nice find, Dean, do they still have dolby? or did that disappear along with the 8 track. Ive kind of lost track of the HiFi situation since the introduced the IPOD.

Dean Romig
05-13-2011, 09:53 PM
What is IPOD? Did you make that up? What does it mean... I Play Old Discs??

Brent Francis
05-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Dean that sounds right. Your question caused me to ask my niece what Ipod meant and she just rolled her eyes and said look it up on wikipedia. I did and they tell you what it does but not what it stands for.

Jack Cronkhite
06-27-2011, 08:35 AM
IPOD for this group

I Parkerize Overhead Ducks

I think I'm officially a nut case when it comes to old junk. With great care, I have managed to open up the old radio and now I'm wondering if it can be put back into service. The radio museum has a schematic for the darn thing and there are no printed circuit boards in there. They even list where you can still get old tubes etc. The guts are pretty bad but........

Will put up some pics later

Maybe Charlie has a 1938 something-or-other that could use a beautifully rusted radio with a shiny chrome face plate being its only saving grace. But the potential to be something wonderful still intrigues.

Need more coffee.

Cheers,
Jack

charlie cleveland
06-27-2011, 04:50 PM
jack ive got an old 39 mercury that would feel at home with a plymouth radio but it would be a shame to cross breed the pair...i know you are a good tinker so i would love to see you fix that old radio to play those golden oldies for us...for sure its a good lookin old piece... ive been workin in my shop trying to make me a place to put some of my finds i have made and bought and traded over the years...ive even got a brand new 1952 chev sterring wheel hanging on my wall...friend gave that thing to me 38 to 40 years ago he said it would fit my 50 model ford coupe but it did not fit...i still got the wheel but the 50 has been long gone....so hang onto that old radio id like to hear it play when i come after my pie..... charlie

Dean Romig
06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Charlie, if that Chevy steering wheel is the 'optional' one with the "butterfly" horn ring it is worth well North of $300

Jack Cronkhite
06-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Charlie, there may be no cross breeding involved. I just threw out the idea of a '38 Plymouth but I have no idea who was using RCA Victor radios. Maybe they all were. Anyway, it has taken months to get to this point, just a bit of time here and there. If I ever get a tune out of it and you are here for pie, you can take it back to see if it fits the Merc. Then, I would have to come by your place one day, you and I hop in the Merc and chase that new bunch of quail that are making a nuisance of themselves with all that noise in the morning. We could listen to some crackly music on the road too.

Cheers,
Jack

charlie cleveland
06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
na the old wheel is just the old standard wheel that most chevs had but for a momment i could see a good trade for a wore out parker even a stevens..ha jackhow slose are you to up state wisconsin...will be coming up that way this fall... my merc and your radio are in about the same condition but id be proud to chaffer you around in it and listen to old goldies on that fine rca... charlie

Jack Cronkhite
06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Cornucopia WI is the furthest north upstate community. From there to my place is just under 800 miles. With the Merc, you could get here in about 4 days, unless you threw in a big block engine, highway gear rear and a tranny to match, then just 15 hours if complying with speed limits and no stopping to eat or fuel up or play in the Dells, eat cheese and try to repeat this feat
http://www.pubsignshop.com/media/pdsp-sm2354-99.jpg

Dean Romig
06-27-2011, 10:42 PM
"A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words" but that one conjures up only one question.... "Did he make it?"

....well, actually, two questions... "What was the wager?"

Dave Suponski
06-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Maybe there was a bottle of amber liquid on the other side.....:rolleyes:

Dean Romig
06-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Maybe there was a bottle of amber liquid on the other side.....:rolleyes:

Surprised there ain't more guys jumpin'...:shock:

Dave Suponski
06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Dean, Are you real sure that ain't you? I can see a resemblance....:)

Dean Romig
06-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Suponski.... isn't it past your bedtime?? :corn:

Jack Cronkhite
06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Here's the scoop on the picture. Just Dad having his son help out his photo studio enterprise. (Not to worry Richard)

The Most Recognizable Picture Still Looks Scary - Test Your Long Jump Skills at the H.H. Bennett Studio
He's known as "the man who made Wisconsin Dells famous." Lest you think it was a water park owner, or ski show entrepreneur, let's reveal right here and now that it is Henry Hamilton Bennett. Never heard of him? He’s considered one of the top 10, maybe even the top three landscape photographers of the 19th century. Still not ringing a bell? Perhaps his photos will jog your memory. Surely you've seen the picture of a young man leaping from one rock ledge to another. It's titled "Leaping the Chasm at Stand Rock" and is one of Bennett's most famous. The photo captures Bennett's son Ashley frozen in mid-air. At the time, many people thought the photograph was faked since stop-motion had not been invented. Until Bennett invented it, that is. The story goes that Bennett had Ashley repeat the jump multiple times to get just the right shot, a story that would make any mother cringe. His life and photos are superbly chronicled at the H.H. Bennett Studio, the photographer's original studio still standing on Broadway in downtown Dells. There's even an exhibit devoted to the famous photo, with markers on the floor to test your own leaping ability.

John Dallas
06-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Maybe the bottle of amber liquid (now empty) was on the starting side?

charlie cleveland
06-28-2011, 01:24 PM
jack thats some photo...i think id better put a mouse motor in that old merc...unless gas keeps coming down...sure would hate to have to sell that pie to get that old merc back to miss...i will get us a picture of that old merc soon....im afraid they would not have a famous jump picture if it had of been me a jumping.... charlie