PDA

View Full Version : A Late Start

Rich Anderson
01-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Willie's internal alarm clock didn't go off today untill 6:30am. His mornfull wails wake us up each day when he voices his need to pee and eat, not necessarily in that order.

I knew it was cold out even in the predawn darkness when the dogs went out for their bathroom duties and came right back in. No Poop Patrol for any of them. When Willie and Daisy forsake the opportunity for an Organic Tootsie Roll it's cold outside. Even by the flood lights I knew it was bitter cold as the fenceing on the kennels looked like a geometricly spun spiders web. The weatherman said the Mercury was just above zero.

It's Sunday the Sabbath, a day of rest... I went back to bed. At 8am it wasn't much warmer. At 9am the wife and I went to breakfast. Upon leaving the resturant the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It is Sunday and this would be a good day to go to church....my church...The Church of the Great Outdoors.

I exhumed the truck from it's snow encrusted tomb. As it was warming up I began the task of getting myself and my gear ready for services. I put extra straw in the Dog Box, got fresh water for the hunters, layered my clothing, organised bells, wistle, collars, leash ect.

All Fall I have primarily used only two Parkers, a GH 0 frame 16 and a CHE 20. Today I wanted something different but what? I considered a Hammer Gun, perhaps the 30 inch barreled 20, The Hollywood Gun hasn't been out in a while, what about the Bernard 16? As I contemplated my choices it was as if a wisper entered my ears...."Please take me, I haven't been out in a very long time, you never take me anywhere anymore...I might as well be an LC Smith!". I picked up the VHE 28 a nice light and lively gun that I haven't been afield with in quite a while. The birds should hold tight and with Gunner and Daisy the shooting will be close. So the 28 it was!

I was on the road by 11:15 and as I pulled into the drive of The Haymarsh no less than seven birds crossed the road into Tim's yard. Five Roosters of Boone and Crocket quality with very long tails and two hens. The sun was out the birds were out & about this was going to be a great day.

I put Gunner down first and it was now noon. We scoured my Honey Hole to no avail. We worked a fence row of sumac and tall grasses nothing. Maybe the birds are enjoying some sun so we crisscrossed a couple of fields, nada. Two hours later we had yet to point a bird. I gave Gunner a break and let Daisy out. Not much changed. Some "birdy activity" but no birds. We worked the property line and she went into the ground covering gate with her nose to the snow and that stubby little tail going a mile a minuete. Trouble was she was on the neighbors property. These people don't like it when members from the club enter their domain. They set their Deer Blinds on the proprty line and benefit from the birds that wander onto there land but don't cross it yourself! Needless to say Daisy went on point back about 50 yards onto their land. I called her but she wasn't leaving the scent and I couldn't blame her that is what she is trained for. A Rooster boiled out and was flying high and fast and he was well out in front of the dog. The 28 spoke softly once, twice... there would be no glory as both volleys missed their mark. Several more hours of activity gave the same unproductive results. At 5pm I called it a day. It was a great day in the Great Outdoors. Both dogs and I got some fresh air and much needed excersize. The 28 was a great choice as there was alot of carrying going on.

As I closed the safe heard a soft wisper....."Thank You"

calvin humburg
01-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Great story Richard and a great hunt as well glad i'm not the only one that gets skunked. Makes a person enjoy a good shot on a bird more satisifing. Took my boy and his friend out yesterday same results. Heres one me and sam got the other day.6670

6672 Best to you Richard

Rich Anderson
01-10-2011, 07:54 AM
I enjoy the opportunity to get out with the dogs and a Parker, the ability to put a bird in the vest is secondary. I'll have some pics to post when I figure out how to do it. Technology isn't my friend.

Who would think those old tires would provide cover for those two Quail?

charlie cleveland
01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
i think ive seen that tire pile before.. good pictures fellas...my deer hunting has been like your hunting 0...we had a big snow again in mississippi last night boy if i only had some pheasants i have a parker....charlie

Jeff Kuss
01-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I was a third of the way to my pheasant field yesterday when the phone rang. The owner Dan was calling to ask if I wanted to hunt in 18" of new snow. Good old lake effect snow had struck again. Needless to say, I went back home and took the dogs for a three mile walk in 2" of snow.

Dave Suponski
01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Pictures from Mr. Anderson

william faulk
01-10-2011, 05:17 PM
YA GOTTA LUV IT ..OH I DO !
Bill

Fred Lowe
01-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Nice story, and the VHE is a beaut!

william faulk
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey,
Do my eyes deceive me ?
Arn't there 3 quail in the picture ?
Bill

Dean Romig
01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Actually Bill, I see four.

Rich Anderson
01-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Dean are you looking through amber liquid and being confused by the reflective power of the ice and glass combination?

Dean Romig
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Okay Rich... try to follow me here.... There are two birds in the open facing each other; then there is a bird just to the left of them facing us and appears as just a round brown ball but just to the left of that single bird is a tire lying flat on the ground and there is one more bird behind the tire facing left that we can only see from about midway up its body and up.

:knowbetter:

And I just now noticed that in the first of your pictures that Dave posted for you is a rooster crouched in the snow that your dog walked right by..... :rotf:

william faulk
01-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Wow..How did I miss that 4th bird?
Looking closer,I will say it is another female..
Bill

Rich Anderson
01-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Your fourth bird is probably just a clod of dirt:rotf: I might miss a bird but Daisy and Gunner no way:nono:

charlie cleveland
01-11-2011, 08:51 AM
a late start is better than no start at all....... charlie

calvin humburg
01-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Fine lookin pointer Richard. Thoes Quail live in the creek behind them thats my sliage pile they come to scratch ground alfalfa and pick grain off the ground they don't get hunted much like to here them and see them running around. Charlie when you and Jett walked the creek that moring I thought you would run into that cubby. Theres about 15 of them. Heres one easer to count:rotf:6703 Look close where's Waldo!