PDA

View Full Version : deer hunting

charlie cleveland
12-23-2010, 06:06 PM
went out this evening todo a little hunting this afternoon took my dad along with me....he dont get out to much so i thought this wouldpep him up....well we mostly rode in the pickup my dads not able to walk any more....first thing we seen was a armaddilo...boy he sure was not a trophy...well then we preceded to ride on...next thing we saw was a large flock of turkeys...fellows one of them was a long beard to make any turkey hunters heart skip a beat...hope my dad can meet mr long beard in the spring....well rest of the hunt was without any other game being seen....but hey i will remember this hunt a long time....done my dad and me real good...... charlie

Larry Frey
12-23-2010, 08:02 PM
That was real nice of you Charlie to take your dad hunting. I hope when the day comes that I can't get around real well that my son will take the time to take the old man hunting.

Phillip Carr
12-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for sharing. Dad has been gone 2 years this last October 19, passed away on his 79th birthday. The prior October I put him in for a deer permit. Arizona offers a limited mobility permit if you have a doctors order. Dad was a disabled vet and had his mind set on shooting a deer. Hunting season was down to the last day and dad had not felt well enough to get out. I called him up the night before and reminded him we were hunting in the morning and I would pick him up. Off to a slow start the next morning we pulled off the payment to see camp after camp pulling out. We stopped to talk to a few, seems few deer were being taken. Dropping into a canyon we drove along B.S.ing with no sightings of a deer ,let alone a buck. 1 hour later found us driving along an old mining road were on the passenger side, the canyon dropped of at better then a 60 degree angle. As I drove along we found ourselves looking into a canyon filled with cat claw, mesquite, and prickly pear cactus. I stopped the truck and got out and tossed a few large rocks down the canyon. Like on que this spike stood up and started walking. I got really excited and told dad a buck was walking out of the canyon at about 250 yards. Hard as dad tried he could not spot the buck. He kept insisting that I take the gun and shoot the deer before it got away. I held fast and told him, I would not do that that he had time to find the buck. Well the good lord was smiling because for 5 minutes dad could not see the deer. As luck would have it the deer had entered a patch of prickly pear and was about to step out of the shadows into the sunshine. I told dad to get ready. I pointed out the patch of cactus and told him get ready, watch that patch in a second he will step out. At that moment the buck entered the light and as I was saying he is step.... the gun went off. I jumped not expecting him to fire. As I focused my binoculars back on the spot all I saw were legs flailing. A few war cry's and a slap on the back I started the task of packing out the deer from the steep canyon. (A job that almost killed me) During the drive out, needless to say. Dad had me stop at every camp, our truck we met going out to asking them how they had done. It may have been a spike, but it may have well as been a state record in our eyes. Lots of congratulation from all the hunters we met. A fitting end to dads last deer hunt
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/Philcarr/4035.jpg

Dean Romig
12-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I hope when the day comes that I can't get around real well that my son will take the time to take the old man hunting.

How's tomorrow morning for you Larry? :whistle:

Dave Suponski
12-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Are you gonna pick him up Dean or should I get him?.....:rolleyes:

Frank Cronin
12-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks for sharing your awesome story of you and your dad Phil!

charlie cleveland
12-24-2010, 09:18 AM
i tell you that was some story...i could feel and share you and your dads excitement over that buck....my dad has just reached the age of 83 i hope he gets to get that buck soon...mt dad and i have also been downmany trails together....we should all give thanks to the folks in our lives who have taught us to love and respect the outdoors......charlie

Bill Suffa
12-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks for sharing the story. I'm sure your dad enjoyed it.

I lost my dad this June. While I was able to do some things with him in the last couple of years, I do wish I'd had the chance to do a number of other things with him before he started his decline (Alzheimer's). My advice is to enjoy time with him while you can.

Happy holidays!

Dean Romig
12-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Bill, you have my sympathy - Alzheimer's took my Dad in '03. We shared many hunts together and through these hunts and times spent in camp I got to know a very shy and private man considerably better than my brothers did.

Armond Fish
01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Great story Phil. Thanks for sharing it with us.