PDA

View Full Version : Nearing Season End...

John Dunkle
12-22-2010, 03:12 PM
As my parents come in tomorrow and my in-laws in on Friday, I'm not sure how much time I'll have to spend in the field before the season ends. Today, we spent a few hours out in the snow showers just walking through some of our old spots. Jen (my wife) and I didn't expect much in the way of any bird action, but our pups seemed to sense the end of the season is drawing near, and worked extra hard....

To my pups, thank you for a wonderful year!!! Next year will be as good or better.... But - it's a long nine months....

John

Taken today (the white streaks are snow flakes - not the camera ;) )

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16031&g2_serialNumber=1

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16034&g2_serialNumber=1

Dean Romig
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
John, the top picture is great! What character in her face - what a worker!

The second picture looks more like the an old painting - the pose and the landscape.

With all those people in your home you may just need to sneak away for a little mental health time.... you and your doggies. ;)

John Dunkle
12-22-2010, 05:24 PM
....What character in her face - what a worker!...

Well, sort of??? After their run - they are just lounging around... ;)

Merry Christmas to you Dean!!!

John

Dean Romig
12-22-2010, 05:31 PM
And a Very Merry Christmas back to you and Jen and your family my friend.

scott kittredge
12-22-2010, 05:41 PM
john, any thing under the tree for me :corn: merry x-mas see you next year!!! scott

Dave Suponski
12-22-2010, 05:52 PM
John, Where did you get those great Christmas card's...:) Merry Xmas to you and Jen and thanks for all you do there buddy.....

John Dunkle
12-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi Scott and Dave..!

Scott.... Ummm - all those gifts are for my pups...?? Which reminds me - I really should get something for Jen, my folks and my inlaws?? Those gifts you could pilfer, but NOT any gifts for my dogs!!!

Dave - it's funny you said that!! I took those pics on my iPhone rather than my Digital Camera - and I was thinking the same thing!! ;) Maybe I'll get a gift or two (see above) in the next couple of days and retake that pic for next year..??

My thanks to both you guys!

John

Rich Anderson
12-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Our season won't end untill March and preserve birds go untill April. I guess MI is more Parker friendly than NH. If that 410 gets lonely for sme action send it my way, I'll keep it tuned up for you:rotf:

John Dunkle
12-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Well, Rich... Maybe I'll just have to drive that little ole .410 out to you - and pack with me - my dogs and some other side-bys?? Got'ta teach you guys what good dogs and good guns are, I guess..?? :)

Best to you Rich for a wonderful Holiday and Christmas..!!!

John

Eric Eis
12-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Our season won't end untill March and preserve birds go untill April. I guess MI is more Parker friendly than NH. If that 410 gets lonely for sme action send it my way, I'll keep it tuned up for you:rotf:

Rich, I think you need to look into the Michigan law a little closer, Bird hunting ends at the end of this month :cuss: :crying:, yes preserve April. The only hunting season open after Jan 1 is rabbit and I don't hunt stuff on the ground..:whistle: Eric

John Dunkle
12-22-2010, 10:28 PM
....yes preserve April. ...Hmmm...?? My pups don't do preserve birds too well - or rather - they do them too well (read below)??

They did when I was training them - but preserve/reserve/planted birds just get them into bad habits after training, I guess (in my opinion, anyway)? It's why we have spent this season on woodcock (done last month) and wild Grouse (ending in a few days here). Most pups can point a planted bird - honor each point, back a point, retrieve to hand, hold in mouth until the command is given, and like I said - it's great for training - but wild birds are a whole 'nuther level and stage...

So my guys do all that on wild birds....???

My pups work in classic and outstanding fashion... Ask the guys who have seen them in action... When most pups give up on a retrieve - my pups will go until they find the bird, hold it high in mouth so not to drag it on the ground (which for Brie - is DIFFICULT, as she is a SMALL French Brit) - and retrieve it to hand - on command and/or by hand/whistle signals.

I love my dogs. They deserve their presents under the tree...

;)

John

calvin humburg
12-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Those an very fine lookin dogs John and perfectly trained I might add. I tought mine to jump up on you with muddy feet:)

Rich Anderson
12-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Are you absolutly positive? Some seasons were extended a couple of years ago. Maybe it's open to Jan 1 still longer than NH:)

I'm going to try to go Grouse hunting up north Wednesday and it's preserve birds Thursday with a Deer hunt added for variety. My new deer rifle won't arrive in time for this season unfortunately :(

Dean Romig
12-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Calvin, you kill me.... :biglaugh:

John Dunkle
12-23-2010, 10:05 AM
.... I tought mine to jump up on you with muddy feet:)
:rotf:

Seriously - my dogs are perfectly UNTRAINED in the house (or almost anywhere else but the field), so trust me, I know the feeling!!!.

;)

John

Bill Murphy
12-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Actually, when a pup, my little Wirehair liked to retrieve with front feet firmly planted on my chest. I thought it would be impressive if I could get her to continue this practice in the field, just for company. I found it a bit fortunate that she tired of this as she grew, because she knocked me on my can more than a few times when she was just a little over enthusiastic. Retrieving to hand is enough.

Rich Anderson
12-23-2010, 06:58 PM
John all preserve birds are not created equally. The birds I hunt at the Haymarsh are as close to wild birds you'll come across, they would rather run than fly. Don't believe me...do ya.. well come on over and give them a try.