PDA

View Full Version : Runners

Rich Anderson
11-13-2010, 07:41 PM
I skipped out of our Friday am meeting at work and went Pheasant hunting but seeing as how I had the Boss with me I get the pass:)

We went to the Haymarsh and had 9 birds released on 160 acres of CRP ground. Weapons of bird destruction were Crazy Daisy and a CHE 20. The other gun was some kind of black 12ga auto :eek:

The day proved to be warm and dry and senting conditions were far from ideal. By noon it was 65 degrees and we were shedding cloths. This might have led to the poor behavior of the Pheasants. Daisy would get birdy and not one bird was put into the air closer than 50 yards from where it was started! On one occasion she got birdy and it was walk and point, walk and point ever so slowly. I thought we had a wise Rooster on our hands, we tried everything to get the bird to fly. We blocked the road when it was headed that way, then out in front of the dog all to no avail. Finally it took to the air and the 20 barked the right barrel and a load of 7's brough the HEN, yes a HEN to the ground a full 200 yards from where we first started getting birdy.

The prize of the day was when a bird got up a full 30 yards in front of the dog annd the shots rang out. It was hit and flew erractically and at ont point I thought it was going to come back towards us. Instead it headed for the woods and died in flight. I marked it and as it was on the other side of a ditch sent my boss around. After him looking for it for about 15 min Daisy forded the ditch and retrieved it.:)

Chaseing Pheasants is better than working. We saw 10 birds shot 9 all of which were pointed and retrieved by Daisy. She was outstanding in every way. A good dog, a good gun and someplace to enjoy them both....priceless :bowdown:

William Maynard
11-13-2010, 08:49 PM
I agree, chasing birds is better then working!

Richard Flanders
11-14-2010, 08:16 PM
"Chasing pheasants is better than working"....So, Mr. Richard....is this supposed to be 'news' to this crowd?!:cool:

Rich Anderson
11-14-2010, 08:40 PM
I love my job...it allows me to miss work and chase Pheasants. Tomorrow it will allow me to miss work and hunt deer:) Now if I could figure out how to get paid while chaseing Pheasants and hunting Deer than I would be in the fields forever.

Larry Frey
11-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Now if I could figure out how to get paid while chaseing Pheasants and hunting Deer than I would be in the fields forever.

Good luck chaseing deer Rich. It's that that time of year again.

Dave Suponski
11-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Congrat's Larry! Nice buck.....What did he weigh?

Chuck Heald
11-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Richard,
That sounds like it was a nice day in the field. More fun hunting birds than daydreaming about it from work, that's for sure.

As for runners, most of the wild pheasant I've encountered, especially roosters, will run ahead of a dog regardless of pointing breed or flushing. Pen raised birds seem to hunker down much more.

Larry Frey
11-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Congrat's Larry! Nice buck.....What did he weigh?

Dave,
We don't have to check deer shot with landowner tags so I have no idea what he weights. It really doesn’t matter to me anyway all I'm trying to do is keep the freezer full.:)

Rich Anderson
11-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Chuck these "Runners" were pen raised birds:shock: They have very good birds at the Haymarsh.

Larry nice buck, congrats. Saw 9 deer 2 bucks and if one had been like that I'd have introduced him to a 140gr NBT from the .280:)