PDA

View Full Version : Lifter and Grouse!

Mark Landskov
10-21-2010, 05:49 PM
I walked for 7 hours today. The Lifter got pretty heavy, real quick! Hunting Ruffed Grouse with a hammer gun, for the first time, is a humbling experience! Cheers!

Jack Cronkhite
10-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Mark: Nicely done and congrats on 7 hours hauling the lifter. I can't make out the ammo. What did you use in your lifter.
Cheers,
Jack

Mark Landskov
10-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks, Jack. I use Polywad Vintagers. They carry a 7/8 ounce load of 7-1/2s.

charlie cleveland
10-21-2010, 08:16 PM
good looking lifter what ga..better to have to much gun than not enough... ive never got to hunt grouse but must be a experiance.. those sure are good looking birds...do they eat well...charlie

Dean Romig
10-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Grouse are exceptionally good eating. Breasts of course are white meat with just a hint of a tangy nutty flavor while the thighs are darker and tougher. Right up there among my favorite two or three gamebirds.

Mark Landskov
10-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Charlie, it's a 12 gauge. Ruffed Grouse are a challenge as they flush quite unexpectedly. If you happen to see them before they take off, you still need to be quick! That is where the challenge was for me and the hammers. The one I finally got was behind a large rock making all sorts of noise. I cocked the hammers and proceeded around the rock to investigate. He was heading away from me and spreading his wings when I shot him. I don't have a dog, so I rely on my own stealth, silence and observation! Dean is right, they are very good eating. Cheers!

Dean Romig
10-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Mark, do you shoot skeet? It was invented to help grouse hunters to be quick at the gun mount and accurate in giving the proper lead and follow through on those fast-flushing pa'tridge.

Mark Landskov
10-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Dean, now that I am into my 2nd retirement, I have given thought to some sort of shooting activities. Skeet would certainly help hone my process. With this being my first time with a hammergun, the notion of drawing those hammers back when a grouse flushes, and still have a sporting shot, is my concern. I carried the gun with hammers down, and cocked them when my 'insides told me to'. I have had some success with my hammerless guns when the grouse flush from the tall grass. Could be better, though! Cheers!

Harry Collins
10-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Mark,

In the early 70's I shot skeet with a hammer gun while stationed in Naples, Italy. Down gun and hammers and when I called for the bird I would cock a hammer. On doubles I would cock the right hammer on the way up for the first bird, drop the gun off my shoulder and cock the left barrel for the second bird. I shot in the high 90's. Station 8 was my worst.

Harry

Larry Frey
10-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Mark,

On doubles I would cock the right hammer on the way up for the first bird, drop the gun off my shoulder and cock the left barrel for the second bird. I shot in the high 90's. Station 8 was my worst.

Harry

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Jack Cronkhite
10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I have shot in the high 90's but much prefer cooler weather.
Cheers,
Jack

Dean Romig
10-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Mark, there have been a lot of discussions here by people using various methods of hunting with guns with exposed hammers and there have been many opinions expressed concerning safe and safer methods. Some carry the gun with the hammers down; others carry with both hammers cocked but with the gun open while still others carry with muzzles up, hammers cocked and trigger hand cupping the trigger guard completely to prevent a branch or twig from tripping a trigger. I use the third method when stepping into a covert and open the gun when I step out of the covert. Some have said they wouldn't hunt with someone who uses my method.

Rick Losey
10-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Targets with hammers are a little easier to manage safely. Hunting grouse with exposed hammers takes some thought and practice. I like to cock the hammers as I pass the dog, which I know Mark says he does not have.

The good news is that a dog gives one some warning of the impending explosion. The bad news of course is it takes away a perfectly good excuse for missing, requiring the shooter to be more imaginative.

Harry Collins
10-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Larry,

I was shooting at about 500 target a week back then. I would be lucky to shoot in the 80's if we went out to shoot skeet today. I shot a round a few months ago and missed high house 2 of all things.

Dean,

I mostly hunt hammer down gun closed, but find that I use all the methods you mentioned as the situation dictates. The British are hammer down gun open hunters and the muzzels are pointed straight up before cocking the hammers. I've gotten a little sloppy about cocking the hammers with the muzzels pointing down range at the sporting clays range. I clean up my act when a field and should practice my hammer gun etiquette on sporting clays. With a hammerless gun I always have the safety ON while shooting skeet, trap or sporting clays. It is on in the field so I get plenty of practice taking it off.

Harry

Mark Landskov
10-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Rick, the dog is definitely a good warning system! I hunt alone and rely on sight and sound. I will take a few steps, pan the underbrush on both sides of the trail, and move along. I have been very successful with detection of slight movement. As for sound, we have a bajillion little squirrels here that rustle through the brush, along with the birds! These are the times I cock the hammers in preparation for the takeoff. Tons of tall grass is where the unexpected flush takes place. If I am not prepared, this is the time where I wonder about drawing the hammers back, shouldering, leading, and ultimately shooting. If the birds flies straight down the trail in front of me, or crosses ahead of me, these are the best scenarios for me. Otherwise, the crafty buggers flush and head straight for the thick woods. Dean, I started the post on this awhile back and like your 'third method' most. Thank you everyone! Cheers!

Harry Collins
10-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Mark,

You being a gunnersmate on a battle ship, I'm supprised to learn you can hear at all. When the New Jersey BB-62 came on station in 1968 and would fire a broadside of nine 16 inch guns it would ring your bell five miles away.

Harry

Mark Landskov
10-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Harry, I was very diligent about earplugs and/or muffs. I was teased regularly, but retired with an outstanding audiogram. Even the Corpsman that did the audiogram chuckled about it. I was on the fo'c'sle a few times when Turret 3 fired aft. Even with muffs, it was loud! During Desert Storm, Turret 2's muzzles were right above my turret when they fired a few 3 gun salvos. THAT was loud! We had about 9 inches of armor above our heads, which I am sure softened the muzzle blast quite a bit! I have some neat videos of us doing 9 gun broadsides. I'da done my whole 20 on her if I could have. Cheers!

Harry Collins
10-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Mark,

I had the radar on the 12 mile range scale and when a broadside of all nine 16" guns was delivered the PPI (radar screen) would be 1/4 clouded! I think I would rather have been in after stearing than on the bridge. The only thing worse than being within five miles of BB-62 when she was firing was when I was on the Cua Viet River at the DMZ and a plane dropped cluster bombs about three miles north of us. I thought the concusion was going to kill me.

Harry