PDA

View Full Version : GHE - Fast becoming a favorite

Jack Cronkhite
10-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Damascus barreled full and fuller.
Been out three times. Opener, with pictures in previous thread.
Second time, only shooting done with Canon (camera)
Third time, yesterday.
Got there around 1pm. Couple little roosters jumped out of the ditch right where I parked. Intrigued the dogs. We looked around the general area and flushed some hens and more little rooosters. Headed to another area and saw some nice big roosters in a hedgerown. Took a walk. CHARLIE got over-anxious and broke, so no shooting there. Walked around and more hens and little roosters. Headed to the final spot and dropped in on the landowner. It was approx 15 minutes ahead of sunset. Headed out and the grass/weeds/brush were thick. CHARLIE knew there were birds and I was watching her closely. A nice rooster busted out of the brush, but no clear shot. This happened a couple times and I did get some shots but ..... wind, glasses, dust ...... Then another nice rooster and a clear shot. Dropped into the weeds and CHARLIE was on it quickly. No retrieve, just pick up, drop and say here it is. I thought it was a longer shot than normal, so paced it off as best I could in the weeds. 60 paces, so maybe 45-50 yards. Next nice one was hit at about 25 to 30 yards, so I'm thinking with this gun, I need to let them get out further than I'm used to.
GHE for today - Gets Heavy Eventually

Cheers,
Jack

Richard Flanders
10-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Lettem get out a bit Jack. With that gun if you don't you'll turn them into inedible mincemeat with a good hit...

Jack Cronkhite
10-11-2010, 12:38 AM
That was my conclusion as well. I'm not used to shooting beyond 40 yards but I will have to with this gun. The second one was hit hard but not inedible. Once I get the right ammo for the lifter [Cyl/ImpCyl] I will be in my normal range but I have yet to come up with the right ammo. Can't get RST or Vintagers into Canada in any simple manner. May have to learn how to reload.

Cheers,
Jack

Mark Landskov
10-11-2010, 07:34 AM
My 1877 Lifter 12 gauge has IM and F chokes. At 25 very long paces, I shot a 1 pound coffee can with each barrel. The Polywad Vintagers put 31 and 30 pellets of 7-1/2s in each! That was the extent of my pattern testing. As for being heavy, Uff Da! I am going to have to eat a lot of Wheaties before considering a 7 to 8 hour day of walking with it. Cheers!