PDA

View Full Version : 10 Gauge Double

Harry Collins
10-07-2010, 08:47 AM
After a month of no dove hunts I received the call to shoot the "lane" at a farm. I took Uncle Taylor's 1881 Lifter with Twist barrels which has .030 constriction in both barrels. The right barrel held an 1 1/4 oz of 7 1/2 shot SpredR load and the left barrel 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 four dram black powder load. I had a nice double in a stiff breeze which cleared the smoke enought to watch the bird tumble from the sky. I have not applied for a "doubles pin", but may do so as I was real happy with the 10 gauge double. I have been able to shoot all four family guns so far this season.

Harry

Dave Suponski
10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Harry, Get that pin .You deserve it!

David Hamilton
10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Harry I like the way you marked your shells with red and black spots on the primers. You have solved a problem for me as I have been using black and nitro powders at the same time and fishing around for the right shell in my pouch wastes time. Now I need a cartridge belt. David

Harry Collins
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
David,

Thanks. I first started marking primers for SpredR loads. It is a lot cleaner and easy to mark the primers while they are still in the tray.

I found the 10 gauge cartridge belt at www.buffaloarms.com

Harry

charlie cleveland
10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
good lookin gun harry... them old hammer guns will grow onto a person if you shoot one a few times

Francis Morin
10-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Makes me wish we had a legal dove season here- lotsa them around at times too- Are those brass 10 gauge shell cases?:bigbye:

Harry Collins
10-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Francis,

Yes, I had loaded the black powder loads in the brass shells. These are BR&C (Ballard Rifle & Cartridge) that was sold to RMC (Rocky Mountain Cartridge). Unfortunatly this brass was under sized and has balloned to the point they have been retired. RMC brass is the correct size and OK.

Harry