PDA

View Full Version : hunting with a parker

charlie cleveland
05-02-2010, 08:39 PM
i only got to hunt a couple days this yearfor turkeys.never even got close to killing one but one thing was sure there was not any hesatation on my part to with gun to use. it was my trusted and triedph grade parker 10 ga.this old parker has never let me down. im the one that failed to do his part. i have several old 10 ga but for some reason that old parker is most always my choice my next choce is the 8 ga loomis its pure murder on turkeys.whats you fellas favorite choice of guns for turkey hunting. charlie

Russ Jackson
05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Good Morning Charlie ,I have just taken up Turkey hunting this year ,to make a long story short ,35 years ago in the first spring after I was married ,my old neighbor was shot in the chest by a Spring Gobbler hunter and killed ,the shooter ran to my house to call for help ,it put my new wife in such a panic that we have argued about Turkey ever hunting since and this year ,I just said enough and decided to give it a go, I had never hunted Turkeys when I was younger ,so really it was no big deal ! To get back to your Question ,this is the gun I started with on this past Sat. the opener here in Pa. ,its is a 10 Ga. D grade ,that patterns quite nice at 30 yards ! No luck yet ,but I will keep you all posted !

Larry Frey
05-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Charlie,
I went hunting with a good friend who loves turkey hunting but hasn't shot a bird in 10 years. His thing is calling in birds for others to shoot. I know a lot of folks love to shoot turkeys with big bore guns or large loads but I was pretty confident that if I got a shot it would be inside 30 yards. I killed this tom at about 25 yards with 7/8ths oz. of #6 shot from a 20 gage VH. The gun is choked full/full and throws a very tight pattern which put the bird straight down. If I thought I would need to take a longer shot I would have used more gun but in this case it worked out well.

Russ,
Thats one beautifull hammer gun.

Russ Jackson
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Thank you Larry ,Congrats. on the successful hunt ,That is quite a nice bird and a great Parker !I don't know much about this Turkey hunting ,but on this past Sat. I had one gobbling a long way off ,I guess I should have tried to move in on him ,but I sit up shop at the edge of the field and began calling ,he did close the distance ,the last time I heard him ,he seemed to be within a hundred yards or so ,but I never got a look at him ! I am not hunting this morning as our golf league kicks off it first round of the year in about an hour here ,it is pouring down rain ,but I feel obligated to show up at the course !You probably have never noticed ,but I love to visit and toss the bull around ,so I am sure a good time will be had by all even if there is no golf taking place !

Dean Romig
05-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I carried my 28 ga. VHE F/F all weekend and never took out the 12. I had patterned the 28 at thirty yards with 3/4 oz # 7 1/2 and I'm very confident it would have done the job, but alas . . .

Larry, that's a good pic for the POM.

Bill Murphy
05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Eight gauge with about 2 1/2 ounces of mixed #6 and #7 1/2. It isn't like they all "come in" and you don't have to walk that far if you know your territory. I am a poor one to give advice, since I have never killed a turkey with anything other than an asparagus knife, but I know what guns I like. Doctor Dave Rozier's article in the DGJ describes his success with Parkers .410 to 10 in the killing or turkeys. I'm just disappointed that he didn't extend his experience to eight gauges. Maybe someone would give us a reference to Dr. Dave's article.

Dave Suponski
05-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Danny and I got back from turkey hunting in New Hampshire today.I have wanted to hunt turkey with a Parker for a long while.Thanks to our gracious hosts Bob Fabian and his wife we had a great time They treated us like"family' and cooked a fabulous meal last evening of the most wonderful venison steak I have ever eaten.We hunted this am and were unsuccessful although I had a hen within 20 feet of me and she was talkin up a storm.I think I,m hooked on this turkey hunting!As if I need another vice...:rolleyes:My Parker of choice was an 1890 NH 10 gauge loaded with copper plated 4's Here,s a couple quick pictures of Danny and Bob

John Truitt
05-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Mr. Murphy,

DGJ spring or summer issue 1999.

Larry Frey
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Suponski;17765] and cooked a fabulous meal last evening of the most wonderful venison steak I have ever eaten.

Dave,
When Deb stops crying, I will try to explain to her you ment the most wonderful "New Hampshire" venison you ever ate.;)

Dean Romig
05-03-2010, 09:01 PM
How quickly we forget, huh Dave?

There, there Deb... I'm sure he didn't mean it.

Dave Suponski
05-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm in big trouble here huh? :crying: Please.. Please.. tell Deb it was the best New Brunswick deer I have ever eaten.....:bowdown:

charlie cleveland
05-05-2010, 12:56 PM
russ that sure is a nice looking gun. i sure hope you get a nice gobbler with that gun. what kind of load are you using . russ turkey hunting is like collecting parkers it can be a bad habit.keep us posted on the hunt. charlie

Jack Cronkhite
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
How quickly we forget, huh Dave?

Now I didn't get a chance to forget. Forty years ago I happened to mention in an aside conversation to my young bride that the rhubarb pie wasn't quite like grandma's. From that day to this, I have had to make my own pies. None of those turned out like grandma's either so for any youngsters on this forum, take heed and be most careful of what you say. For the oldsters, well you already knew or it happens to also be too late for you. I think I have perfected lemon meringue from real lemons but rhubarb remains elusive.

Cheers,
Jack
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/IMG_5787sss.jpg

Larry Frey
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Well said Jack. Rule number one, NEVER criticize the cook.:nono: