PDA

View Full Version : stock work

C. Aaron Beck
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
I have watched with interest the "winter projects" which involve soaking the oil out of old stocks and refinishing them. Is this something anyone can do, or is it a little more involved than that. I certainly dont like the idea of acetone and microwaves or toasters or whatever. I am a woodworker by trade but have little gunsmithing experience and would like to bring back the wood on my I grade...
What does one put on after all the oil has been removed? How does one know when all the oil is out? so many questions.

Brad Bachelder
03-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Hello Aaron,

Being a woodworker you will understand the difference between quarter sawn and slab sawn. Most gunstocks are quarter sawn to optimize strength and figure. Quarter sawn wood creates end grain. End grain in dried wood will tend to absorb or wick moisture. You will notice that plank wood has the ends sealed to prevent moisture wicking.
If the end grain on a stock is not totally sealed it will wick moisture naturally, many a duck hunter using an older Remington can attest to the stock swelling ahead of the buttplate. The endgrain at the head of the stock will absorb and wick Oil into the center grain causing the wood to weaken and turn black.
Acetone will remove surface oil but wont pull the oil from the center grain. This requires heat and a chemical to emulsify the oil. If you do not remove most all of the oil it will resurface with time.
A simple way to draw out the oil is with a heat gun and alcohol. Strip the wood, wipe down with alcohol. Apply heat to the stock and the oil will come to the surface. When the oil starts to bubble, wipe it off with an alcohol soaked towel. It takes a lot of time but it is a gentle way to pull oil without damaging the wood. Be careful not to start a fire or char the wood.

Brad

Dave Fuller
03-20-2010, 01:49 AM
C. Aaron, Its like building a house, you do the things you're comfortable with yourself and contract out the things you are not. Brad helped me clean up this hammergun and I could not be happier with it. Fun and educational project.

Bruce Day
03-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Dave, there was enough oil in that gun to give the Arabs cause for concern. I'm surprised you got it all out. Nice result.

Dave Fuller
03-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks Bruce, I'm very pleased with it. I wish I'd been able to retain a barrel or two to run my truck. What river are you fishing n your avatar there Bruce?

Bruce Day
03-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Big Horn, Montana, not far from where Lt Col George A. Custer, should have but did not go fishing. Lon Morris and I last fished there in December 2008.

Ed Blake
03-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Try oven cleaner. I have used this on oil-soaked Parkers as well as oil-soaked military rifles. The lye in the spray does a great job of drawing oil, varnish, grime, etc out of the wood. Rinse off with COLD water so as not to raise the grain. And do this outside wearing rubber gloves.