PDA

View Full Version : Back yard deer pics.

E Robert Fabian
02-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Thought I share my winter pets. As the winter gets along they become more comfortable hang out in the back yard. While taking the second picture I found myself thinking how nice those back straps looked and had a similar expression on my face.

Dave Suponski
02-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Funny.... I was thinkin the same thing. Nice fat little doe's. You must keep 'em well fed Bob...:)

scott kittredge
02-04-2010, 05:46 PM
that is it friday night DEER CHOPS for supper :clap: :envy: scott

E Robert Fabian
02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I feed them four quarts a day but they will hang out and scratch around for acorns and eat the sun flower seed hulls.

Dean Romig
02-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Bob, those are great pictures! I've got deer right outside of my kitchen window but that woodlot adjacent to my property will soon have 32 condo units on it. We fought the good fight for the better part of twenty years but the Commonwealth of Massachusetts ran rough-shod over us when the developer submitted the latest plan as a 40B development (10% of total units will be "Affordable Housing"). Here's hoping the deer decimate their ornamental shrubs :biglaugh:

E Robert Fabian
02-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Sorry to hear that, I hope I'm not put in that situation but I fear the angry hoard is a coming.

Dean Romig
02-04-2010, 10:59 PM
On November 5, 2003 this buck raked and rubbed a small pine about 55 yards from my kitchen window. I went to Vermont for the opener of deer season and on my second night back at home, Nov. 11 at 9 p.m. a friend who is a railroad engineer called me to tell me he had hit a trophy buck with the freight train engine and asked if I would go find it and put it down. I found him and with my mini-mag in my teeth, put an arrow through his heart. He was at the time, the third largest buck ever reported in massachusetts, grossing 186 2/8". He sired many offspring and I've seen his genes in other bucks around here.

E Robert Fabian
02-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Very impressive rack, do you have any idea what he weighed?

Dean Romig
02-05-2010, 08:37 AM
It was hard to estimate... his hind end was literally pulverized but still within his hide and rattled around (when he moved himself around on his front legs) like hardwood dowels in a burlap bag - sorry about the gory details. I would say his live weight was around 250 - 275 lbs. He was old - most of his face and neck were nearly white and a bowhunter friend told me he had a bigger rack the year before when he saw him from a tree stand at about fifty yards.