PDA

View Full Version : shell question

Pete Savage
02-02-2010, 09:35 PM
So what do you guys use for modern factory shells in your Parkers? I have a 16ga from 1904 which I just purchased and used Remington low brass 6's over the weekend but I'm wondering what other guys use in their older gun's because I don't re-load. Thanks.

Dean Romig
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi Pete, there are several manufacturers of low pressure ammo that a lot of us use, RST being the favorite. Muzzle velocity is still right up there in the 1,100 to 1,200 f.p.s. range while pressures are generally kept well below 8,000 p.s.i. Not that it is necessarily dangerous to use higher pressure ammo but these old guns really don't need the beating that high-pressure stuff delivers. What frame size is your 16ga? What barrel steel is it? Are the barrels sound and sufficiently thick in the walls? Do you feel competent to make these judgements or do you think you should have an expert in older SXS guns examine and measure it?

Pete Savage
02-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks Dean - it's a 1 frame with solid steel barrels; by that I mean not damascus steel. The gun takes 2 3/4 shells. As far as barrel thinkness, I'm not sure. how think should it be and where do I measure. I'm assuming I'd just need a set of calipers to do the measuring.