PDA

View Full Version : Feta/Mushroom Pheasant

Jack Cronkhite
12-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, I had an "adventure" hunt on the 28th. I have only been playing in the afternoons of late. The day started normal enough. We ("Charlie", "Kyra" newly adopted and I) arrived at the creek with about 3 hours of daylight left. "Kyra" made her first flush within minutes (hen). We tramped for a few more hundred yards along the frozen creek bottom. "Charlie" flushed next (2 hens) We kept going - "Kyra" another hen, "Charlie" another hen and so it went for about 2 1/2 hours - hen after hen after hen - no season ever for them. "Kyra" was getting cold, so I kenneled her and carried on with "Charlie". Then "Charlie" got into a mess of Sharptails - probably a couple dozen flushing as singles or doubles (season closed in November). It was all nice dog work but no shooting. "Charlie" then found some huns but no clear shots available. I did take a long shot and it carried on umolested. We headed back to the car and checked out a hedge-row on the way. Finally, "Charlie" hit pay dirt. A nice rooster popped up, VH up, rooster down but no shot fired. "Charlie" did some fancy foot work and caught the rooster and held it for me. So, she got this one and that was it for the day. There was still a bit of time and I knew of a couple more spots and we headed there. Snow had been drifting and I found myself hitting them a little harder and faster. After getting through a long drift by just a bit, I realized I'm not going to be able to get back through there, so carried on. Checked the spots with no luck. So, I'm heading back to the main road and found my access was totally blown in. Headed into the stubble field and got within a couple hundred yards of the farmhouse and became hopelessly high centered. No big deal I thought since I was almost home free but my farmer friend had gone to town. The second farm was less than a mile, so I walked over, found them home and with a little coaxing from his 4X4 and a tow rope we were on the way home. About twice every decade I manage a stunt like that, but this was the first time alone. No fool like an old fool. Won't leave the beaten path again while solo hunting.

So, very nice bird. No pellets, just nice meat. I am very pleased with "Charlie". I worked long and hard with her as a puppy to have a soft mouth. One puncture in the bird was it. I have seen other dogs do a lot of damage in catching a bird. This one may have been clipped by another hunter during the season. One wing tip was damaged, not allowing flight.

So tonight, I filetted the breast into thin slices and de-boned the thighs. The remaining carcass is boiled for broth, and whatever meat is available is removed for grinding into a sandwich spread base.
NEXT:
Chopped fresh mushrooms, crumbled feta cheese layered on the pheasant slices. If you have a favorite spice, sprinkle on just a bit. Roll them and secure with a toothpick. Wrap individually with tin foil (really reduces cooking time). Place foil packets into a dish and put in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Zap a few veggies in the microwave. Remove the pheasant pieces from the tinfoil and slice crosswise - like a jelly roll. Eat hot and ENJOY. Gotta love these birds.

Cheers,
Jack
no pic of "Charlie's" rooster but here is a good day's work already enjoyed at the table.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/normal_P1060893sgw.jpg

Dean Romig
12-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Gawd! Do I ever miss them fezzants! :(

Jack Cronkhite
12-30-2009, 11:28 PM
I admit I miss them too - but every once in a while, I connect. :)

Another kind of dead pheasant picture

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/normal_20080214_IMG_9999_16sgw.JPG

And another
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/19sgw.JPG

Gerald McPherson
12-31-2009, 01:31 PM
The fellow that I sold Scooter to yesterday gave me a fezant and some quail I cooked and ate them last. I never even thought about making a pic Shoot. Gerald

Richard Flanders
01-06-2010, 11:25 PM
It really doesn't get much better than fresh Phezzant in an iron pan.... I just finished some nice egg-battered pike filets..... ONE of the other white meats...