Notices

Unread 01-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #21
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Never pierced a primer with Winchester 209s.

I cock my Hammer guns with the Breech open & before Loading. Seems to require less effort. Don’t load & close the gun until ready to low mount & get into shooting position. That’s not the best solution for hunting though.

William
Actually, when I hunt I generally carry all doubles open until I shoot. (Works ideally with a non-auto safety). Always seemed to me to be the safest system that could exist.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2022, 12:53 PM   #22
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Never pierced a primer with Winchester 209s.

I cock my Hammer guns with the Breech open & before Loading. Seems to require less effort. Don’t load & close the gun until ready to low mount & get into shooting position. That’s not the best solution for hunting though.

William
I’ve pierced WIN , REM , Federal and Chedditte primers with several hammer guns 10-12-16 . But I’ve never knock on wood pierced one with a hammerless gun SO FAR
Unread 01-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #23
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I’m debating taking a 16 hammer on an upcoming quail deal . I’ll carry the gun cracked open unloaded with the hammers down . When dogs are on point I’ll load close and just before they flush I’ll pull the hammers back . I’m no advocate of walking around with the gun cracked open and the hammers back then closing on loaded chambers with the hammers back .
Unread 01-08-2022, 03:31 PM   #24
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I’m debating taking a 16 hammer on an upcoming quail deal . I’ll carry the gun cracked open unloaded with the hammers down . When dogs are on point I’ll load close and just before they flush I’ll pull the hammers back . I’m no advocate of walking around with the gun cracked open and the hammers back then closing on loaded chambers with the hammers back .
Just for clarity, I have never hunted anything but doves with a hammer gun, and there is no walking as a rule. What I described is typical upland hunting with lhammerless guns. I got into this practice with my kids. I always felt safer in a group if only the people over the dog have a gun ready to fire.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2022, 04:52 PM   #25
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
Just for clarity, I have never hunted anything but doves with a hammer gun, and there is no walking as a rule. What I described is typical upland hunting with lhammerless guns. I got into this practice with my kids. I always felt safer in a group if only the people over the dog have a gun ready to fire.
Wasn’t knocking your practices . Several other people have said the correct way is to pull the hammers back while the guns cracked open load close etc . I’ve watched many folks shoot sporting that way , I’m just more comfortable not pulling the hammers back until after the guns closed . I’ve had hammer guns double on me before so I guess I’m just squeamish about the left hammer falling when I close the gun . If the guns closed , I pull the hammers back point it and fire and if both barrels go off it’s what I consider a better situation . And to be honest one is never gonna be 100% ceratain they know when the gun will finally be worn enough to accidentally drop . My Grade 0 16 hammer dropped on me twice at a practice round at one of my semi local clubs , 16 isn’t anything terrible recoil wise when it happens but it sure messes up the mental aspect .
Unread 01-08-2022, 04:56 PM   #26
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Those who advocated the pull the hammers back before loading then close claimed it cut down on thumbs slipping off the hammers during cocking and getting accidental discharge . And by no means do I disagree with that . I’m just more comfortable load close then pull back .