Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Parker Repro A1 Questions, Help Needed
Unread 08-11-2023, 12:52 AM   #1
Avanti55901
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker Repro A1 Questions, Help Needed

Thanks to all who answered my previous questions. I was in the Parker Repro forum so I mistakenly thought that would be the right place to ask the questions, but I was wrong. I should have labeled it Repro questions...

More help needed. I really want a quality Parker Repro and have my sights set on two A1s with custom engraving.

1. How do I get help to critique the 2 guns I'm looking at? I don't want to send photos to this web site as I don't want to alienate the sellers, one who markets on GI and one local dealer.

2. Price is not the main issue. If they're what I want, I'll step up, it's very apparent I don't have the expertise or experience to validated if the stocks are good (sap wood, checkering, fit, finish etc.) and if the engraving is what you should expect for a "custom" engraved gun.

3. The reason I mention engraving is one the guns (local dealer) is supposed to be from one the engravers I see mentioned here a lot but to my uneducated eyes I'm not sure it is of that high quality. And the other gun is engraved by someone I never heard of and can't find reference of in this forum. And both guns have been for sale a few weeks... maybe that's why?

Since I can't hold these guns in my hand, I have to rely on pictures (which I have) but I'm still not sure what I'm looking at. I'm sure neither dealer would sell me a "lemon", i.e., actually misrepresent a gun, I just don't know enough to make sure it is actually worth the money.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I see comments on guns that say "Oh, looks ok, but the checkering is ........ or wood is......, good grief, they all look fantastic to me. Thanks in advance.
James Ashenmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2023, 01:52 AM   #2
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

My personal approach if faced with the same situation would be to reach out to a professional that has years of experience in the sale of high end guns. Someone like Josh Loewensteiner. ( If Josh offers this service). Money I believe would be well spent.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 08-11-2023, 06:30 AM   #3
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,984 Times in 565 Posts

Each of the Custom engraved guns stands on its own merit! I have never seen a "bad" Gournet engraved gun. I have seen many others that I would not own. Plus, it is more than just the engraving quality. If the gunsmithing is sloppy that represents a real negative to me.
I own a 20 GA double trigger factory engraved gun and am very happy with it.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2023, 06:36 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

We could be more help with the names of the engravers and some good pictures. Otherwise, you are on your own, unfortunately. Your location may help us lead you to a good appraiser/collector in your area.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2023, 07:48 AM   #5
Dylan Rhodes
PGCA Member

Member Info

My humble 2 cents on a few things...

1. If you're waiting to find a gun that is perfect in every conceivable way, and then a person who is going to tell you that the gun is free from any single little defect - you are on a fools errand. NIB guns you can always find something that isn't perfect perfect. Maybe a Purdey or a Holland and Holland....but this is not that.

2. If you're wanting to verify that nothing has been altered or misrepresented, you've come to the right place for knowledge, but people will need pictures. I would encourage you to join the group. It's a modest annual fee and the people are very helpful. Assuming the dealer/seller is amicable to an inspection period - you could have it sent to a third party for evaluation for you. You may want to find someone who is Parker familiar. Similar to Phil's suggestion. However, from what I understand these third parties really don't care what you paid for what and won't comment on the "deal" of the item, they will just provide you the facts of what you have. It's not their place to care how other people spend money.

3. Do you own other Parker's or SXS's? What is the immediate rush to own an A1 Repro? Thats quite a first Parker or SXS to pay outright for without a strong foundational knowledge base.

Hope everything works out.
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan Rhodes For Your Post:
Unread 08-11-2023, 12:09 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

Personally, I think an A-1 Repro, engraved aftermarket, factory engraved, or unengraved, is an excellent choice for a collector interested in future value. By the way, there is way more than one Repro on the gun sites, as we speak, that are excellent buys with rarity and reasonable prices. However, they are going fast.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2023, 03:18 PM   #7
Brett Trimble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dear Sir,

With respect to engraving you might send a picture of the engraving to the person who is said to have done the it did and ask if it is their work. I did that once one an A1 Repro and it turned out that the engraving was not done by the person that the seller indicated.

Best,
Brett
Brett Trimble is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brett Trimble For Your Post: