Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Parker gets the Game
Unread 12-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default Parker gets the Game

I have been enjoying the last few days doing some bird hunting on my time off befor it's back to the grind in Janurary.

Wednesday I combined a morning of work with an afternoon late season Grouse hunt. We found birds in the pines and tag alders but they were wary and wouldn't hold for a point. The closest we got was the sound of whirring wings as they departed for safer ground. As the Grouse wern't cooperating we chased some Quail that had been released for dog training and hunting purposes back in the late summer. The fact that there were survivors let alone a sustainable number of them was amazing to me. We found two coveys of a dozen or so birds each and I managed to scratch down four with a newly stocked CHE 20. On the last covey rise a double fell to the Parker

Yesterday and this morning it was out to The Haymarsh with a GH 16 0 frame damascuss. I call this gun "The Money Pitt" as I put a lot into it to bring her back up to all her potential for another 100 years. Four of us shot 17 birds yesterday and as we saw over 30 there should have been more. We had a young first year Setter with us and she busted birds on a fairly regular basis but they have to learn sometime. I went back out this am and scratched down a Rooster with Dave Miles but we got rained off. We hunted a couple of hours and saw three birds but most of all we got all the dogs out for a run. Gunner "The Old Duffer" did well and I was glad he got out for a hunt on the eve of his 13th year. I hope has has more to come in 2011 but I'm glad he went today.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,103 Posts

Richard ,Sounds like a couple of good hunts there ,I was wrapping up six weeks of vacation this week and had the same plans you did ,mine didn't work out so well ,I ended up with a tooth infection on Christmas eve ,managed to keep it to myself for a couple of days then things got ugly, and I went mid week and ended up having two teeth removed and didn't make it out until yesterday afternoon ,ran both Dogs ,and didn't even carry a gun ,just wasn't up to it ,we didn't move any game in the hour or so I was out any way , the Dogs just needed to have a run ! Would love to see pics. of that CHE 20 Ga. ,Mine is on an O Frame and has a couple of Quail engraved on the floor plate , I really like that little gun ! What is yours like ? Russ
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Santa brought a camera so I'm trying to learn how to do the pictures. I'll get it figured out (really I'll call someone and get talked through it) pretty soon. My CHE has the typical four flying Turnips, straight stock, splinter forarm.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,103 Posts

Flying Turnips are good ! Practice up with the camera ,we will look forward to seeing it ! Russ
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote