Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

A Winter's Tale
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default A Winter's Tale

The year was 1900 and I was in thick Jesse (Africans for heavy cover) in the Sebungwe district of Rhodesia with Ian Nychens an Ivory poacher after a big tusker with 100lbs of Ivory per side. The dry leaves crackled underfoot but the wind was with us. We could hear the rumble of the big jumbos stomach as he digested the Acacia leaves a scant 15 yards away. We were close, maybe to close but still couldn't find a clear path for the 400gr solid from Ian's Rigby 450/400 double rifle for a side brain shot. The Jumbo knew something was wrong but just couldn't determine what when the wind shifted.....and the phone rang!

It was my friend Jamie. "Are you working tomorrow?" I laughed at the folly of such a question. "No" I emphatically replied "why?" "Lets go Pheasant hunting". We agreed to meet at the Haymarsh at 10am to scratch hunt a few birds if possible.

Mother Nature laid down a half inch of fresh snow early in the morning which would tip the scales of predator and prey hopefully in our favor. I chose a Parker OO frame 28 for the hunt. This has been tastefully upgraded and is a two barrel set. I used the 26 inch IC/M tubes with 7 1/2 in the right and 6's in the left barrel.

We started down a ditch and spotted a Rooster on the other side. The problem with this picture is that the ditch was 30 ft across and had flowing water in it. We managed to keep the dogs out of the frigid liquid and as the bridge was at least 500 yards in the other direction we continued to make our planned loop that would eventually bring us to the bridge.

Our efforts were futile and we found ourselves at the bridge and headed in the general direction of the bird we had seen an hour or so before. Jamie's setter Clara slammed on a point while Daisy was busy tracking. I thought they were on the same bird so I was focused on Daisy when Jamie yelled "bird, bird". I turned in time to see a hen crossing left to right. The little 28 came up in one fluid movement and I caught up with and passed the bird as I pressed the trigger. At the sound the bird folded to the charge of chilled 71/2's and Daisy made the retrieve.

We got both dogs back on the original track Daisy was following and in a few minuets Jamie hollered again. This time a rooster was headed my way. The shot was not unlike a station 7 high house skeet shot and once again the right barrel folded him.

We had a bit of a dry spell and took a break and watered the dogs and I was glad to empty my game bag back at the truck. We were working some edge cover when both dogs went on point. I circled around and left Jamie in an open area hoping he would get a shot. I could find no tracks and both dogs were solid not moving. I searched for the bird and finally located a hen tucked tightly against some bushes. I wanted to get a picture and had the camera in one hand the Parker in the other when she made her escape attempt. Jamie was deadly with his 28 and she skidded into the fresh snow.

We moved five birds shot at four and brought three home. Not a bad day for a walk at the Haymarsh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A Winters tale.jpg (502.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg A Winters tale two.jpg (467.7 KB, 6 views)
Unread 01-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

those pics worked I'll try a couple more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A winters tale three.jpg (474.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg cover.jpg (518.5 KB, 7 views)
Unread 01-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,797 Times in 3,968 Posts

great hunt and pictures but were s the big elaphant..thought sure we would get to hear how big that tusker was...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,484 Times in 1,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
The Jumbo knew something was wrong but just couldn't determine what when the wind shifted.....and the phone rang!
I was really getting into that story too. Did you use a phone camera for you pics or a digital?
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 01-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,215 Times in 3,270 Posts

Rich - thanks for the story

great looking cover for a hunt club
Unread 01-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mike the camera is a small pocket Canon.
OH the Haymarsh is 1400 acres much of which looks like the photo. If you didn't know it was a preserve the place would fool you. The birds are very good and when they have been there awhile you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a truly wild bird. It's nothing to have a bird cover 100+ yards before taking flight.
Unread 01-23-2015, 11:56 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

100yds?! I remember a few that went 2-3 times that Rich! That place can be tough, which makes it fun, of course.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #8
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
The year was 1900 and I was in thick Jesse (Africans for heavy cover) in the Sebungwe district of Rhodesia with Ian Nychens an Ivory poacher after a big tusker with 100lbs of Ivory per side. The dry leaves crackled underfoot but the wind was with us. We could hear the rumble of the big jumbos stomach as he digested the Acacia leaves a scant 15 yards away. We were close, maybe to close but still couldn't find a clear path for the 400gr solid from Ian's Rigby 450/400 double rifle for a side brain shot. The Jumbo knew something was wrong but just couldn't determine what when the wind shifted.....and the phone rang!

It was my friend Jamie. "Are you working tomorrow?" I laughed at the folly of such a question. "No" I emphatically replied "why?" "Lets go Pheasant hunting". We agreed to meet at the Haymarsh at 10am to scratch hunt a few birds if possible.

Mother Nature laid down a half inch of fresh snow early in the morning which would tip the scales of predator and prey hopefully in our favor. I chose a Parker OO frame 28 for the hunt. This has been tastefully upgraded and is a two barrel set. I used the 26 inch IC/M tubes with 7 1/2 in the right and 6's in the left barrel.

We started down a ditch and spotted a Rooster on the other side. The problem with this picture is that the ditch was 30 ft across and had flowing water in it. We managed to keep the dogs out of the frigid liquid and as the bridge was at least 500 yards in the other direction we continued to make our planned loop that would eventually bring us to the bridge.

Our efforts were futile and we found ourselves at the bridge and headed in the general direction of the bird we had seen an hour or so before. Jamie's setter Clara slammed on a point while Daisy was busy tracking. I thought they were on the same bird so I was focused on Daisy when Jamie yelled "bird, bird". I turned in time to see a hen crossing left to right. The little 28 came up in one fluid movement and I caught up with and passed the bird as I pressed the trigger. At the sound the bird folded to the charge of chilled 71/2's and Daisy made the retrieve.

We got both dogs back on the original track Daisy was following and in a few minuets Jamie hollered again. This time a rooster was headed my way. The shot was not unlike a station 7 high house skeet shot and once again the right barrel folded him.

We had a bit of a dry spell and took a break and watered the dogs and I was glad to empty my game bag back at the truck. We were working some edge cover when both dogs went on point. I circled around and left Jamie in an open area hoping he would get a shot. I could find no tracks and both dogs were solid not moving. I searched for the bird and finally located a hen tucked tightly against some bushes. I wanted to get a picture and had the camera in one hand the Parker in the other when she made her escape attempt. Jamie was deadly with his 28 and she skidded into the fresh snow.

We moved five birds shot at four and brought three home. Not a bad day for a walk at the Haymarsh.
Rich great pics and story sending 2 parkers to your smith on Tue
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote