Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,873 Times in 4,756 Posts

Fred, hardly any of my stuff is useless, except to me. There are many people who would find my stuff useful. I just don't happen to be one of them.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Not to make fun of wives BUT.....this is a true story. On the day my father was moving into the alzheimer's wing of the nursing home he was asked by a nurses aid if he was married. He replied " no, I am intelligent" He had a lot of stuff too.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I just hate to throw something away because as soon as you do then it's going to be needed. An extra pair of bird pants, a vest or two, the boots with the worn souls (I have a pair of Red Wings I just had resoled after I bought a new pair of Danners) a couple 3 orange hats, the gloves with the trigger finger worn out. In a pinch a little duct tape will put those gloves back in the hunt. Well you get the idea and this is where stuff comes from.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #24
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You don't throw away anything orange. When going to a preserve or an out of town hunt of almost any kind, your companion will not have realized the requirement for orange. What, you want him to have to buy a new piece of hunting apparel without careful study? Of course not. You dig through your stuff and give him something orange. Throw it away? Give me a break. After the hunt, do you let your friend keep the orange stuff? No way, you take it back to lend to others and you send your friend shopping. After all, he needs to accumulate some orange stuff himself. Let me know if my take on hunting equipment is somehow flawed. I wouldn't want to do the wrong thing. I repeat, I am not a hoarder, certainly not a hoarder of shotguns or vests.
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I don't think you can hoard shotguns these (at least the good ones) fall into the collectible catagory as do rifles and handguns. I'm not much up on the handgun catagory, I own a couple of Colt .22's and a S&W M29, a Browning (Belgium) Hi-Power 9mm, a couple other .22's and a .45ACP but thats about it.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #26
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
I don't think you can hoard shotguns these (at least the good ones) fall into the collectible catagory as do rifles and handguns. I'm not much up on the handgun catagory, I own a couple of Colt .22's and a S&W M29, a Browning (Belgium) Hi-Power 9mm, a couple other .22's and a .45ACP but thats about it.
I own a couple of dozen pistols, from old Navy Colts to a modern 1911, but I am a big fan of the Browning Hi Power and own one. Mine is a newish pistol and is a very nice shooter.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have no interest in handguns, don't shoot them and don't own any. Well that's not entirely correct. I do have my Grandfather's 1916 DWM Luger, my late (Viet Nam 1967) wfriend Captain Boyd's 1903 Colt USMA graduation award gun, a Sig 225, my H&R dog training gun, Linda's 5 screw Combat Masterpiece, a couple of model 17s, and my old Highway Patrolman. There is a little Beretta .32 in the safe somewhere. There may be one or two more, but not any that interest me. I'm just not a handgun kind of guy.
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #28
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I have no interest in handguns, don't shoot them and don't own any. Well that's not entirely correct. I do have my Grandfather's 1916 DWM Luger, my late (Viet Nam 1967) wfriend Captain Boyd's 1903 Colt USMA graduation award gun, a Sig 225, my H&R dog training gun, Linda's 5 screw Combat Masterpiece, a couple of model 17s, and my old Highway Patrolman. There is a little Beretta .32 in the safe somewhere. There may be one or two more, but not any that interest me. I'm just not a handgun kind of guy.
I like pistols because I shoot them pretty well and over the more than half century of my collecting I've gathered quite a few. When I was buying a lot of guns my proclivities would change from .22's to milspec to shotguns and back again.

I have been shooting skeet weekly, usually three rounds and I am not doing as well as I'd like. My shooting buddie breaks almost all of them always and without batting an eye. I'm working on trap now which gives me an opportunity to shoot my Parker which I enjoy.

In addition, I find the new, post 1952 shoulder mount, pandering to high scores. When young, we all used the low mount which resulted in lower scores and I think a greater challenge. We shot trap to practice for hunting. Breaking 25 with the high mount and breaking 25 from the low, are two very different things. However if people like the high mount that's their biz, it is no skin off my nose.

I also think that the European game is better than ours, because it is more difficult due to their low mount, faster birds and delayed launch. Why don't we do that too? It is because it is too hard? That doesn't sound like the American way to me. Okay, I am getting old and slow and crotchetty and how we shoot will remain unchanged no matter what my opinion is...just say'n.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

You guys are all worrying about what your wives think of your stuff. I've got that one by the short hairs, I don't have a wife. Hah!

The girlfriend is a little baffled by my stuff, but at least she sort of collects a few things herself. A girl that has the flea market urge isn't as hard to get along with when it comes to stuff as a woman who just wants everything new and useful.

My worst problem is shotgun shell hoarding, I have no idea how many rounds I've got but it's scary. Just bought a box of 1 1/2 #2 and #4 Remingtons at an estate sale the other day because hell they were only $5 a box! I'll add them to the two cases I have of the exact same loads.....

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
Ronald Moore
PGCA Member

Member Info

He who dies with the most TOYS wins, me 7 cars ,three trucks, over 100 guns, 6 generators, some stuff is missing but eventually I will find it, NO WIFE, been there done that finally learned my lesson.

Massamoo
Ronald Moore is offline   Reply With Quote