Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 06-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Troy,
Your post was painful to read as it brought back the recent loss of our girl, Cedar, who also had cancer in her mouth. We took her to the Univ. of Missouri hospital. They laid out our options and chances. We got a year more with her, but I’m still haunted by the question whether we did the right thing for her. It was costly—over $10k—and she bravely suffered through all of it. It’s difficult to let them go, and the choices we have to make don’t come with a script. I wish I could give you good advice, but in the end your pup depends on you to do what’s right. Thank God they never doubt our love. My best to you, your family, and your pup.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #12
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,010 Times in 457 Posts

Terribly sorry to hear about your pup. Those if us committed to spending our lives with four legged friends are destined for heartache every time we bring a new pup home. I've had to make that last trip to the vet way too many times and the most hearbreaking ones are when it's just too damn soon. I had to let a beautiful 8 year old English Setter go a few years ago and I cried every time someone mentioned her for at least 3 years. (and I'm teary eyed now) My personal approach is to give them the best quality of life I can and let them go when I think the time is right. I'd get that pup some birds to point as often as I could and enjoy your time together until the time comes when you have to let her go. Hopefully, a few wonderful hunting seasons from now.
Dan Steingraber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 06-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #13
Troy Giles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks everyone. My sympathies to all of you who have had to go down this road.
Troy Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2022, 09:48 AM   #14
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

I am very sorry for you and your family. We had a Lab, Lucy, with mast cell cancer that spread and my only regret with her is letting her go too long. It was purely a selfish thing I did, not wanting to say goodbye. Dean is right, God gave us dominion over animals and we can choose to do what is truly right for them. I made the mistake the first time with Lucy, but didn't when her sons time came (Duck was put down at 9am on Christmas morning 12 years ago). Gene Hill wrote that a dogs life is so short so we can enjoy more of them in our lifetime. Those are pretty wise words but in due time...
Unread 06-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #15
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

It's always hard to make the "right" decision. I asked a Vet friend of mine "How do you know it's the right time to let the dog go?" His answer - "When the dog is no long having fun being a dog". Tough call, but you have to do what's right for the dog, not us.
Unread 06-08-2022, 09:51 PM   #16
John Taddeo
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have also been in these shoes Troy and truly feel for you. If I could share my 2 cents of advice it would be to locate a college university (if possible, in your area) with a veterinary program. I was able to take my last 2 Shorthairs to The Ohio State University for cancer diagnosis and treatment and the difference between my local Veterinary resources and the University was stunning (to say the least). To mention the obvious was the sheer number of opinions and knowledge as well data to access. The part that really kicks it in the ass is the total cost incurred was far less at Ohio State than anything I experienced locally. Obviously not for the random vet visit but in my last instance, my avatar dog gained 3 years (to 16) and had tail wagging quality of life for most
all of it (and did not die from the Liver cancer). Just food for thought looking forward, I have pet insurance on my dogs both young and old. There are some pretty good plans offered if you shop around, it sure helps take the cost issue from the decision equation.
John Taddeo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Taddeo For Your Post:
Unread 06-12-2022, 11:43 AM   #17
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Troy,

I am sorry to hear of the health issues facing your dog. I have lost many fine dogs over the years. My vet clinic is the most advanced in the area, and I trust their judgement completely. My vet suggested taking one dog to a specialty clinic that they had examined. They told us their diagnosis, and they were correct. They had given us all the options available to us and I know that their suggestion was more for our benefit than for the dog. My vet always gives us all the options and lets us make the decision, but I always ask them what they would do if the dog was theirs. Often the vet will tell me that I will know when it is time. I think they want us to accept the fact that it is time. I have waited too long on occasion to end my companions suffering because we were not ready to let them go. There comes a time when it is selfish on our part to want to keep them around. I echo the sentiment from previous posts on this. I hope you find some comfort from your fellow members posts regarding this issue. Thoughts are with you.
William Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Woods For Your Post:
Unread 07-02-2022, 11:29 PM   #18
Troy Giles
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just wanted to close the loop on this. And writing is a motion forward and helps me. We tried but ran into so many obstacles. In the end, we were given the option to try a vaccine or a new program at UW (Madison) vet research. We opted for the later knowing it might help and help others. The university could not take her for 2 weeks but we held out hope. She was admitted on Tuesday and given a single treatment. The cancer had spread and a second would not be offered. We picked her up on Wednesday and made an appointment to euthanize her yesterday at our home. We could not do it; my children were not ready. I was not ready.

My wife and I drove her one last time to our farm in western Wisconsin. My wife sat in the back seat of my truck with Hazel's head on her lap the whole 2.5 hour trip. We drove through the fields of our farm with the windows open and stopped for ice cream. She hadn't eaten in a couple days but was able to enjoy a dish (twice). We took some photos of her and my wife and I drove sharing memories of her and our kids. Laughing and crying. I think we forget sometimes how close our wives really are to our hunting companions. Just she and I and the dog that grew up with our kids. We put a blanket on the ground near our cabin and let her look out at the hills she flew through just a few months (weeks!) ago. In May, she pointed a badger and luckily he pointed back!

This morning, the vet came to our home and with our family surrounding our beloved Hazel, she was delivered from the pain. The vet helped my daughter make clay impressions of her feet and we told stories about her. I had my last shot of bourbon with her. And I told her I was sorry for the times I let her down and was less than a perfect owner. She took her last breath at around 10 a.m. with her head on my lap.

She is at peace but I am not and I don't know when I will be. This dog helped my little boy manage his own illnesses. He was in bed for three weeks with her by his side. She was always there for him and was a perfect little dog for him as he grew up.

I am old enough to know the answer to so many questions is "because". But I will never understand the struggle we had to get treatment. The helplessness we felt and the disappointment. Mostly, I will remember the impossible reality of a perfectly healthy dog in May running miles and miles through open grass fields is now gone. How?

I don't ever want to lose the memories I have of her and of my family. I started a journal and as memories pop into my head, i write them down. I see videos on my phone but they are way too hard to watch. I told her how sorry I was and how I promised to never forget her and that we loved her always (even when she stole food and got in trouble).

So the loop is closed and I won't write any more about Hazel and the past six weeks. Thanks for affording me this opportunity to express my grief. And to all of you who have gone down a similar path...so many memories...my sympathies. My little boy just said our family will never be complete again. God I wish we could turn back the clock.
Unread 07-02-2022, 11:34 PM   #19
Troy Giles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sorry, I posted twice.
Unread 07-03-2022, 01:59 AM   #20
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

Troy my heart goes out to you and your family.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post: