Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Grand Spring Hunt 2023
Unread 03-22-2023, 06:35 AM   #1
Tenth Legion
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Grand Spring Hunt 2023

Opening day of spring gobbler and the start of a new Parker quest found me in Volusia County, Florida watching daybreak and listening to several roosted Osceola toms. As is often the case the gobblers quit talking once they hit the ground on this cloudy 72F morning. The wildlife show was entertaining nevertheless as Sandhill cranes, hen turkeys, gopher tortoises and a pair of whitetail bucks showing their white antler bases paraded around the food plot. After a quick lunch at a local diner the hunt was resumed at 2PM. Immediately after being dropped off at a new blind in a lovely oak hammock by friend Jon and host Wilbur, the wildlife show resumed. A scrawny raccoon was spied weaving in and out of the palmettos soon to be joined by the quarry….an Osceola longbeard! This tom was on high alert, standing as tall as his form would let him. As he moved to the left behind a broad oak I yelped and clucked very softly on my Horse Pasture Maple short box, a gift from dear friend, PGCA member Niles Oesterle. The gobbler’s response was to move back to the right and periscope his head even more. He could see the decoys and he was still 100 yards away. Niles always advises to call sparingly, just enough to “worry” him. And that’s what I did. I called again very softly once he entered the palmettos while angling toward my position. As quick as he appeared he disappeared. I figured I better pull the hammers back quietly as possible in case the “worrying” had the desired effect. After fifteen long minutes that’s exactly what happened. He was closer now and slowly closing the distance. At fifty yards he wagged his tail feathers, at forty yards he adjusted his wings……he was nervous. When he got thirty yards I slowly raised the 1880 lifter, lined up the bead at the base of his neck and touched off the right barrel! Smoke filled the air and I couldn’t see a thing but I could hear wings beating the ground. I fumbled around unzipping the blind door, half stumbling out before hustling to retrieve the downed gobbler. He was a dandy! Long sharp spurs and a matching long beard! Truly an incredibly exhilarating hunt in the unique Florida wilds.
Unread 03-22-2023, 06:47 AM   #2
Tenth Legion
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Photos

Photos
Unread 03-22-2023, 07:04 AM   #3
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Well done and excellent report! Thanks for sharing!
Unread 03-22-2023, 08:04 AM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,559 Times in 3,070 Posts

Congratulations! Great reading on what is a drooly, cold day a month away from our opener here in Missouri.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #5
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,073 Times in 350 Posts

Nice job
Florida has been tricky this season.Looks to be a great bird.
Congratulations
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2023, 12:44 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

great storey....and what a nice set of barrels on that gun and a brass shell filled with black powder took this bird...it don t get any better than this hunt....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2023, 06:58 PM   #7
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Way to go. Those spurs look amazingly long. Is that common on Osceola birds?
Great story telling. Thank you for the post

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2023, 08:31 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Jim , you have any intention of trying to get the Merriams , Rio Grande and Eastern strains this spring for a slam ?
Unread 03-22-2023, 09:29 PM   #9
Tenth Legion
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks to all for your kind words. The Parker Wild Turkey Grand Slam will be a multi year effort as our seventh grandchild is due late April and guiding in Maine starts May 1st. I’m hoping to pursue all four subspecies next spring with my son Tim.

Special thanks to several PGCA members who had vital roles in the hunt. Foremost, Kentuckian Mike Franzen for listening to New Jersey Jim DiSpagno’s advice in buying and restoring the Space Age Parker then offering the lifter to me at a price I couldn’t refuse. Mike sent the wood to Newfoundland for Chris Dawe to restore. The Winchester brass shell is from Alaska via Richard Flanders. The box call is a gift from dear friend and longtime hunting buddy Niles Oesterle. This Old Reliable double has provided me with memories to fill several lifetimes and still more adventures await. Life is good
Unread 03-23-2023, 07:03 AM   #10
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,780 Times in 2,010 Posts

Congrats Jim, my best friend just scored his first Osceola on Monday.