Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

They may not be Parkers...
Unread 02-07-2023, 09:56 PM   #1
T. Eding
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default They may not be Parkers...

These two Hunter Arms Fultons may not be Parkers, but they have been my entrance into vintage side by sides. The 20 on the left I got from an older gentleman a few years back for a song. It was his wife's gun, who sadly passed away some time in the 70's, upon which time he put it in the safe and didn't touch it until it came to me. It has an old refinish job on the wood, but is in otherwise excellent shape. I shoot it better than I should and carry it often in the grouse and woodcock woods chasing my red setter.

I liked it so much I decided to pick up the 16 on the right last year that I believe to be in excellent original condition. They are not Parkers but I have found them to be well made pieces of American craftsmanship from a different era. Not many people my age (mid 20's) appreciate older guns, especially doubles, but I am definitely hooked. I started down the rabbit hole the last few years of reading Burt Spiller, William Harnden Foster, and more, and am starting to believe I was born in the wrong era. Very glad to have found this outstanding group. While I don't have one yet I am hoping to add a Parker 16 in the coming years and start down the Parker Journey.

Fultons.jpg

Fultons2.jpg
Tyler Eding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2023, 12:07 AM   #2
Jim Beilke
PGCA Member

Member Info

Glad to have you in the "Group". I love nothing more than to help corrupt another young man in the way of classic doubles. There are many fine field grade doubles out there Parker Trojans, Fox Sterlingworths ,Ithaca NID. The insides on these are the same as the high grade models in each brand. These are the guns you could have bought off the shelf in your small town hardware store or small sport shop "back in the day". These all add to the quality of the hunt or the clay bird shoot.
Jim Beilke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Beilke For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2023, 01:32 AM   #3
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

A young man with an old soul. Welcome aboard, Tyler.

You appreciate that there is intrinsic value in knowing who previously owned or hunted with a gun now in your posession. That's something we are not likely to get with an auction purchase.

I too bought a 20-gauge (a Lefever, DS) from a widower, which was the gun his wife had hunted with. The butt-plate is a non-original styled replacement. The gentleman said that the original plastic plate broke when his wife dropped the gun, butt down, on a rock during a hunt.

I have been told, "you can get an original-styled replacement for that gun". I may do that at some point, but for now I will keep the gun with that storied detail intact.

Do follow the example of Burton Lowell Spiller and William Harden Foster and add a Parker double with all prudential speed. You have come to the right place for valuable and gratuitous advice.
Unread 02-08-2023, 08:15 AM   #4
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Welcome aboard, Tyler. Nice looking guns. I bought my first double when I was 30, actually shot my first grouse when I was 15 with an old Stevens SXS borrowed from mu uncle.
Unread 02-08-2023, 08:29 AM   #5
Den
PGCA Member

Member Info

Fellow Michigander, were having our three day SXS shoot in May here is some information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lapeer 2023 PDF spring flyer 12 26 22.pdf (91.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf Lapeer 2023 SXS registeration 10 13 22.pdf (96.1 KB, 5 views)
Dennis Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2023, 01:41 PM   #6
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

Nothing to be ashamed of with those Fultons! They look great!
Unread 02-11-2023, 05:35 AM   #7
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Joining the PGCA was a smart move. You have access to so much information that isn’t available anywhere else. To maximize your membership get involved in events like the one in your home state that Den provided links to and attend PGCA events you’ll find posted in the various forums. When you go, don’t be afraid to introduce yourself and meet as many people as you can. The best way to learn about these old guns is from the people who have studied and used them for years.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 02-11-2023, 03:16 PM   #8
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,770 Times in 2,351 Posts

Here are 25 pages of everything one could want to know, courtesy of Dr. Drew, about Hunter Arms Co. Fultons --

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...QiTqfS07I/edit

until the next "trade branded" version comes along.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote