Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Ithaca NID extractor issue.
Unread 12-16-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 418 Posts

Default Ithaca NID extractor issue.

I have a 1938 16ga Ithaca NID G2 shotgun, and occasionally the extracter slips under the rim of the shell, and does not extract it. I have to then break down gun, remove the extractor, and push the shell out.

I noticed as compared to my Parkers, the extractors of the NID are quite a bit smaller, covering a lot less circumference of the shell. Maybe 25% of the shell rim, compare to about 40% on my VH.

Anyone else ever run into this with a NID? If so, what'd you do about it?
Unread 12-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #2
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

I had this issue with a early year 16 gauge NID with the cocking indicators. I had to pull a shell out once in the duck slough with my leather man. Only happened once to me but I have since sold the gun off.

"May the honkers fly low and slow."
Douglas Bandemer
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2022, 05:51 PM   #3
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buckley View Post
I had this issue with a early year 16 gauge NID with the cocking indicators. I had to pull a shell out once in the duck slough with my leather man. Only happened once to me but I have since sold the gun off.
The extractor design is not nearly as stout as the Parkers.....

it's happened twice now, also noted that there is a bit more play in the extractor on the NID. Not really sure there is much I can do about it, as buying a new one isn't really an option.
Unread 12-16-2022, 09:29 PM   #4
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,245 Times in 616 Posts

Default NID Extractor

Joe,

I've shot my NID's more than any other gun, but I've never had that happen.

I've had it happen with my Parker 16 gauge underlifter, but it had good reason, some paper shells that had took on a small amount of moisture, it was not the guns fault.
Like you I had to remove the extractor before being able to remove the stuck shell, luckily I was hunting pheasant within walking distance of my house.

Your NID must have had a ton of shells put through it or someone was fooling with it that shouldn't have been, snap a picture of the extractor if you don't mind, wouldn't mind seeing it.

Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 12-17-2022, 10:05 AM   #5
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
Joe,

I've shot my NID's more than any other gun, but I've never had that happen.

I've had it happen with my Parker 16 gauge underlifter, but it had good reason, some paper shells that had took on a small amount of moisture, it was not the guns fault.
Like you I had to remove the extractor before being able to remove the stuck shell, luckily I was hunting pheasant within walking distance of my house.

Your NID must have had a ton of shells put through it or someone was fooling with it that shouldn't have been, snap a picture of the extractor if you don't mind, wouldn't mind seeing it.

Stan
Will do when I get a chance. thanks.
Unread 12-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

It sounds to me like your ithacas extractor it likely messed with.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 12-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #7
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,009 Times in 394 Posts

I have quite a few and never any trouble. I have a 16 that I have shot a lot since I got it in 1973; no problems. One problem may be paper shells as mentioned. Another may be that for most of the last 50 years, the 16 loads available have been 2-3/4" loads trying to keep up with a 12 gauge.

You might check the chambers and forcing cones. If someone opened it up, they may have not controlled the reamer very will and cut the extractor/chamber oversize.

Just wanted to add (this may ruffle feelings here), but i don't think shooting modern loads in an NID is really a safety issue. They are considered by a llot of people to be the strongest of all the classic shotguns. It's just that the combination of stiff 1-1/8 oz loads and a gun with a shorter chamber may be enough to make the hull sticky. My 16 I mentioned was made in 1948, has 2-1/2" chambers (who knows when the barrels of a 1948 gun were made) and I shot it till it burnt your fingers every time I went dove hunting. Before I knew better, I shot the heaviest field loads I could find. When I finally grew up and got some tools, I measured the barrels. I found out they were 2-1/2" and had 0.028 thick barrels in the front half. The gun is as tight as the ay it was made.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2022, 11:21 AM   #8
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

For the record, this gun is a 1938 gun, with 2 3/4" chambers stamped on barrel flats.

I was shooting winchester 1165 fps 1 oz loads.
Unread 12-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #9
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here's some pics.

I may shoot some lighter RST's next time, see if that makes a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7640.jpg (80.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7641.jpg (59.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7643.jpg (64.2 KB, 152 views)
Unread 12-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #10
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,245 Times in 616 Posts

Joe,

nothing really jumps out to me from your pictures, on the third picture where the extractor seems to be fully retracted, it does appear that it could be tweaked upward, it look like there might be some room at the top.
Also, if you remove the barrels and then manually pull the extractor out, does it have any downward movement like your guide pin may be bent?
Meaning that the further the ectractor extends, it keeps dropping lower away from the shell?
There is a set screw that retains the extractor guide rod/pin from fully coming out, this screw can be backed off to allow the extractor to be removed, and then you could check for straigtness of the rod/pin.

Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post: