Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 02-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Destry
One of my favorite ducks to shoot too. I love to take someone that has never shot ringnecks and watch them try and hit one on the first pass!! We call them ringbills or ringnecks, have not heard them called jacks.
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

I've always wanted to hear someone actually call them swamp bluebills. I've read that local name in some of the old literature, out of Wisconsin if memory serves. But it's a name that must have died out because I've sure never heard anybody use it in real life.

The name jacks must be more of an southern Mississippi Flyway thing then. I've always wondered if they called them that in the eastern portions of the south.

One of these days I'll dig out the old ringneck decoys we always used and post a pic. Dad and I had a good shoot over them about four opening days ago on Mermet Lake, made me feel like a kid again.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

We're starting to see Ringnecks in the rice fields and the wardens call them Blackjacks. My neighbor is over run with them but we see only a few. They hop the fence at night and eat the rice...only to get shot by my neighbor upon their morning return. He brags how great they taste on my rice.

My only dig on him is the geese. We don't shoot geese AND avoid disturbing them by having circuitous roads to the duck blinds; thousands resting daily. Drives him nuts. Man I like having neighbors.
Brian Stucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Why don't you shoot the geese? Snows I can see but my guess is you boys have quite a few specks as well.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hey Destry, Our club is too small. We leave about 250 acres as a refuge and hold lots of white fronts. This pulls the ducks and we get good shooting as a result. You're right. The area is lousy with specks and we may develop a 'muck' field with a tank blind for 'em.

I have a video from a cell phone I'd like to share. Don't know the steps; any ideas? Brian

Last edited by Brian Stucker; 02-03-2010 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: misspell
Brian Stucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
Trigg Davis
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dave,

Your blind looks like a reslly fine one to me. I hope you had an enjoyable season.

My dog Shine and I are off in a few moments to search for some of the few and elusive Ruffed Grouse that inhabit our area. There is about five inches if fresh snow out there this morning so it will be scenic if nothing else. On top of what we have it will also be deep but we will see what we can do.

Trigg
Trigg Davis is offline   Reply With Quote