Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

skatter gun
Unread 01-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default skatter gun

been here thinking about using the old 8 ga parker this evening to try a mabe kill a deer this evening. only got a couple days left andthen will have to hunt with primitive weapons.ive hunted hard this year for that record buck but only got a glimpse of him.have not taken a deer this year. seen about 50 does and yearlings but not that once in a life time deer.so with time running out im gonna set my own first record take a deer with this old 8 ga this evening.every body wish me luck. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

GOOD LUCK!!! scott
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, Save some hamburger for the dogs.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Well Charlie, sun's been down for a while yet and you haven't posted the pictures... but you're probably still draggin' that brute out to a road someplace, right?

Well, you can tell us about it after you've set a spell and got your wind back.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

well fellas have been setting and resting a spell. it was raining this evening just a slow gentle rain. i got into my shooting house at 3.00 oclock this evening.but first i stepped off 40 yards an put up apiece of white tissue paper up and put tinks doe scent on it.i made 2 more scent posts the last one at 30 steps.i knew i might be huntig late so i used the 30 step marker as a marker if it got late. i would not shoot pas the 30 step marker. i finally got into the shooting house pulled off mw large hunting jacket. fellas i dont beleive ive ever put as much work and thought into one evening hunt. id even called my grandson and told him to leave his keys in his 4 wheller got me a rope to drag this deer i was going to kill. well the time draged by from 3.00 to 4.45 at this time i stuck the old 8 ga out of the window and cocked the right hand hammer.i knowed a deer was going to come into view just any time. well needless to say i waited till it was so dark you could not see my 30 step marker boy what a let down. i had never been surer in my life that i would get a deer this evening. i was to haveset mysef a record this evening whith that old parker.loks like i will have to try and break that record monday evening lord willing. ok so i un breached my gun and thenunloaded my gun .reached in my coat pocket for my flash light and droped it. boy was it dark in that shooting house by now. ok so i got on my hands and knees feeling for that little light. i must have searched for 5 minutes finally foundit so i thought it was my shells for my rifle that i had droped and found so back to the floor looking for the flash light. well after about 5 more minutes looking for that thing i decided that i would wait till the next day to get my flash light. boy it had started raining hard it was a pretty good walk to my truck i finally got there.whew... so when i got home i told my wife what i had done she laughed and saidmy flash light was on her piano. good place for that light. ha well now i dont have to go and get that flash light out of the shooting house because i never dropped the thing in the first time.... so goes the life and times of one charlie cleveland. not the end of story will resume after monday hunt. charlie
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Okay, we'll wait.

(Nuts!, I was hoping for some backstraps for supper.)
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Great story Charlie. My trigger finger was itching just reading it! Not too unlike my last deer hunt in Michigan this fall. I was leaving the next morning and had finally figured out the very best place to set the tent blind, right in the orchard within sight of my sisters house. Had all the windows zipped open a bit and had my head on a swivel until it was too dark then packed up and went back to my brothers. My sister came for dinner that night and asked, "why didn't you shoot that deer!?".... what deer? was my reply. She told me she watched a deer eating apples 10ft from my blind and wondered why I didn't shoot it. Damn...I never heard or saw it and had my hearing protectors cranked to max. I should have been able to hear the frozen apples crunching.... It was behind me but I'm having neck problems and couldn't twist around to look that direction as much as I should have. So I flew back to Alaska the following day without a cooler packed with venison for the first time in years..... 10ft... whew...
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

good story richard love to hearabout the deer that was so close but yet so far away...just reckon how many hunts we all went on and never saw a thing.i was rattling on a hunt one time never saw a thing wnen i got home my son said why didnt i shoot that 8 point that was in front of me.i could only say i never saw him. gonna try that old 8 ga again monday evening. yall keep your fingers crossed. charlie
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie,
dumb qustion but what are you shooting in your 8 slug? ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

calvin thats a good question. the shells im shooting are 00 buckshot. it is a 3 1/4 inch winchester shell with roll crimp best i can count 24 00 pellets to load with buffer added.i do not know the powder charge. tom armbrust loaded these for me .he said i was the only person to ever ask for buckshot loads in the 8 gauge. the loads shoot very well ive tested them at various ranges. with mydestery hoffard 8 ga fa loomis it patterns well enough out to 80 yards . it will put 7 to 11 pellets intoa deer size target at this range.i like to keep the distance shorter but i would not hesitate to shoot at this distance. the parker bro. 8 ga i will only shoot to a distance of 40 yards the barrels have been shorted to 26 inches on it. thus no choke left .hope to get to use this load this evening. charlie