Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

[QUOTE]The one problem here is that you have to put up with hunting all day and seldom seeing another hunter. It can get lonely and you would always be on your honor when reporting doubles with no witnesses[QUOTE]

No man should have to endure such a thing!! My heart is truly saddened for your unfortunate circumstances (tear runs down cheek).

"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Does it help at all that many months of the year the habitat is covered in fluffy white stuff. That just took me back to the '70's. A new neighbor and I had gone for our first pheasant hunt together. The wives were sharing coffee at home getting to know each other and it began to snow. The new neighbor lady said "Oh its snowing. They'll be home early". My wife showed a greater understanding. She replied "Not a prayer. Now they can track the damn things".

Unread 01-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I'm always happy to "bear witness" to any double be it Pheasant, Huns (I have done it twice and never found the second bird so I stopped), Sharptails.....or Jack Daniels

In regards to being lonely in the vast arena of Mother Earth while enjoying a fine firearm and a good dog.....never
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Richard: Never had a double by the definition that both must be in the air at the same time. I had that opportunity this season but even at my tender age I got way over-excited and cleanly missed both. I once got 2 within seconds of each other but they were separate flushes, not simultaneous. As for Gentleman Jack and his colleagues from the moors, I can attest to having achieved a few doubles in life. Cheers, Jack

BTW you are correct, it is not a lonely place out there, even when devoid of other humans.
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default A double 0n "Mr. Jack" after the hunt- yessiree

You are never alone when you are hunting with a dog (or two)-- Thise early fotos of the aged buildings- make me recall early issues of Gray's SG--great stuff- and the Parker with the game bag and the Rooster tail feathers in view- well I can't think of anything much better than that--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

[QUOTE=Richard Anderson;11325]Pheasant, (I have done it twice and never found the second bird so I stopped), QUOTE]

I know your pain Rich - I folded two pheasants on a simultaneous rise and never found either
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

The Hungarian Patridge is a tough fellow. We were hunting a patch of bush in a cut wheat field when a covey exploded. I litterly crushed the first bird so hard I cringed and turned to the second and only winged him. Sturm a GSP was only about 6mos old and he was stalking the cripple and pointing it as it ran down the edge of the cover. I let him go awhile as i felt it was good for the pup. When I returned to the first bird there were feathers everywhere but no bird. It's possible the big Red Tailed Hawk on the power pole had something to do with that. Later in the day I scratched two on the rise and recovered just the one. That was the end of "doubles" for me.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Jack: You want lonely, go to Times Square in NYCity on a Saturday afternoon.... out in the wide open spaces?? No way....
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote