Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Phinding Pheasants
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default Phinding Pheasants

Phound a Phew in this Phavorable habitat.
Enjoy hiking around these abandoned places as much as the hunt itself. Just another 10 months to go (well, 9 1/2 really)
Cheers,
Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060833ps-small(4).JPG (421.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg P1060849ps-small.JPG (486.0 KB, 36 views)
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

beautiful senery... a picture is worth a thousand words.....thanks for sharing.... thanks charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Charlie: Here's a few more thousand words. The creek is a pretty good spot. Nice thing about this creek is that it is all good upland habitat and it meanders through the south-east for probably 100 miles, which gives rise to its simple name - Long Creek. I have walked probably 20 or so of those miles over the past few decades and am now working on seeing if I can complete the trek over its entire course. Lot's of farmers to ask for permission and some I know will not give it so I'll never hunt its full length. The January Parker of the Month photo is the result of a hike along this creek one afternoon.

Cheers,
Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060917ps-small.jpg (187.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P1070071sgw.jpg (148.3 KB, 37 views)
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i hope you get all of those permissions. i was hunting in my dads favorite deer stand the other day as i set in this old chair i turned andnot 10 foot a way was a brand new posted sign.made me angry at first.i did not shoot the sighn .i tgouht at least he could had enough consideration to have moved it a little farther down.i had hunted this same place for over 50 years.i never thought in my life time how nieighbors frends and relatives.have changed including myself overviews of hunting and giving others permission to be ontheir property.im glad that i got to see allof the good folks of the past.things are changing to fast for me now.i cannotchange the way things are but if i could......good hunting charlie
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie: I find I can obtain permission from most folks I meet but not all. There is only one farmer along the creek in my twenty mile stretch that just won't let anyone hunt pheasants (and there are lots there for sure). He will welcome deer hunters though because they do so much damage.

Here's my canine "Charlie" who apparently can read, as she did not cross under this fence.

Cheers,
Jack

Unread 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jack and Charlie;That gave me a good idea. The next time a land owner tries to run me off I'm going to tell him I can't read or hear. Gerald
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

tried telling amess hall sargent that i could not read once upon a time and he told me i didnot have to be able to be pot and pan man on kp duty. i sure glad that your pup reads good.ha good looking dog wonderfull pictures of the contry side. hope to be able to hunt in someplaces like you haveposted inthose great picture some day .keep them coming charlie
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Jack how are the Hungarian Partridge doing where you are? I have hunted Huns, and Ruffed Grouse as a side trip to waterfowl in Manitoba years ago. I always like chaseing Huns and would like to do it again.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Richard: Huns do well and so do Sharptail grouse. No rough grouse near here but they are in the province to the north, as are willow ptarmigan and spruce grouse. Waterfowl are plentiful during migration - Canada's Snows Speckles Sandhills (even Whooping Cranes but the minute one is spotted the Sandhills are closed) Most species of duck except Woodies and Blacks Lots of Swans but there has never been a season for them. For rifle enthusiasts Mulies Whitetails Moose Elk Caribou Antelope (no Mountain Sheep or Mountain Goats) For a hunter, it doesn't get much better than in my little corner of the world although Alberta adds the mountain species (blue grouse, rock ptarmigan, sheep and goat)

The one problem here is that you have to put up with hunting all day and seldom seeing another hunter. It can get lonely and you would always be on your honor when reporting doubles with no witnesses
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
Richard: Huns do well and so do Sharptail grouse. No rough grouse near here but they are in the province to the north, as are willow ptarmigan and spruce grouse. Waterfowl are plentiful during migration - Canada's Snows Speckles Sandhills (even Whooping Cranes but the minute one is spotted the Sandhills are closed) Most species of duck except Woodies and Blacks Lots of Swans but there has never been a season for them. For rifle enthusiasts Mulies Whitetails Moose Elk Caribou Antelope (no Mountain Sheep or Mountain Goats) For a hunter, it doesn't get much better than in my little corner of the world although Alberta adds the mountain species (blue grouse, rock ptarmigan, sheep and goat)

The one problem here is that you have to put up with hunting all day and seldom seeing another hunter. It can get lonely and you would always be on your honor when reporting doubles with no witnesses

Jack,
The green with envy icon above dose not even begin to cover how I feel about your last post. You are a very lucky man indeed.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote