Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

[QUOTE=Jack Cronkhite;9882]Good eye Trigg The top is a Golden "Morgan" and the bottom is labXhusky "Charlie" Before we adopted "Charlie" I had spent the better part of two seasons dogless. "Morgan" is the neighbors pet. Never been in the field in her life. I thought I would ask if "Morgan" could have some time doing what she was bred for. They agreed and "Morgan" found me a few roosters on 3 or 4 trips out. She is pretty much a natural. Just another example of a pet being up to the job. I was a bit concerned about firing the shotgun, since she was not at all introduced to it. I didn't want her to be gun shy, so the intent was to let her wander out a ways and fire in the opposite direction and repeat a couple times. Trouble was, she got onto a bird right away and flushed two nice roosters, so it was an immediate trial by fire. Didn't phase her a bit. She went on to find more, so she was invited a few times. The neighbor has a new found taste for wild pheasant.
Here is a shot of "Rio" who is an outdoor farm dog - a pet, but not a house dog. "Rio" is amazing and leaves the yard to hunt with anybody that even remotely looks like they might be hunting. Another natural hunter with no training but does it all and very well.

Brings to my mind the great story by the late Gene Hill: "Brown Dog"-- My gun dogs have always been house dogs and companions on trips to town, etc. A fine shotgun is an inaminate object by itself, treasured, but when its in the gun safe- well you see where that's going. But how can a man have that bond with his gun dog when he shuts him out of his daily life (other than his job and family duties?)

Yes, of course, a fenced kennel to the dog's security from speeding UPS trucks, etc- but no gun dog of mine ever spent one cold night outdoors, and when out in the daytime, was kenneled in a triple insulated dog house on the leeward side of my pole barn- cement floor, heater in the base of his dog house, and also an electric heated fresh water pan- and no "rinky-dink" orange drop cords, wired to code by an electrical friend underground romex to the box in the pole barn, and GFI protected.

I had a friend lost the best Setter I've seen in years to a electrocution via a improperly wired line to a heater-he has never forgiven himself for allowing that to happen. Hard to say what is the most moving of all the great stories about Man's Best Friend: Corey Ford's "The Road To Tinkhamtown", Ben Hur Lampman's "Where To Bury A Dog", Nash Buckingham's "Not Unsung" or Gene Hills "Old Tom" and "Pepper"--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Tim Kisieleski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dunkle's got Britt's? That explains alot
Tim Kisieleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Some beautiful dogs in this thread...!! Anyway, mine are indoor/outdoor dogs. Always have been. I've had the pleasure of working with different breeds for a long time, and while each breed has their own characteristics, my opinion is that for dogs that are house/hunters, ummm - they respond differently to their owners in the field. Just my opinion from working with, training and hunting over a whole lot of dogs, of course.

Anyway - Tim - yes, I do own/train/rescue/hunt over Britts.. Next thing you'll tell me is that you have a GSP or something..?? HEH!!!

Best to you!!

And oh - my dogs...

From the first day I rescued Brie from the kill shelter in Maine:

And from this summer:

John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

Pretty Brits John.

Those green pics look like the edge of a salt marsh somewhere . . . hmmm . . . where'd you say that was??
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Don't be giving away secrets John.

Last edited by E Robert Fabian; 01-03-2010 at 02:07 PM..
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Great picture's John! God I can,t wait to finally meet that little girl..
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
...Those green pics look like the edge of a salt marsh somewhere . . . hmmm . . . where'd you say that was??
Hey Dean!

Yep - they are great salt marshes! They are New England Salt Marshes, which should give you a good idea of their location.. Hope this helps, but - at the same time, I'm quite certain it doesn't....

John
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

Curses! Foiled again!-----------
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #19
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Yup,I can just see ya sittin there poundin hell outta that keyboard....And Kathy just shakin her head...
Unread 01-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
.... I can,t wait to finally meet that little girl..
Just back from a long run/training session today - so I snapped a few pics (with Scott's camera) for you, Dave... It was snowing after the first couple of hours - but they didn't mind

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (301.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (279.5 KB, 25 views)